Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sunset21
Beginner

Flying ants...

Sunset21, 5 August, 2009 at 15:40 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 15

Our front and back garden are infested - I haaaate them. How long do they usually last once they erm, hatch?

15 replies

Latest activity by bobbi, 5 August, 2009 at 21:41
  • spacecadet_99
    Beginner
    spacecadet_99 ·
    • Hide content

Ick ick ick. Once they're actually flying they only live a day or two I think. There is always a day when they all suddenly start flying - make sure you're not outside. I walked into town once on flying ant day and only realised when I was passing fields, all of a sudden they were everywhere. It was very, very bad <spacey runs off to wash herself at the memory>

• Chicken
    Beginner October 2003
    Chicken ·
    • Hide content

They're only usually around for a day or so, aren't they? Hence the call for National Flying Ant day!

• Gryfon
    Gryfon ·
    • Hide content

Thankfully I've only seen 3 today, one crawling on the ground, one landed on my washing and one in a spiders web...muhahahah!

• Dooby
    Beginner
    Dooby ·
    • Hide content

They are truly vile horrible little barstewards. For the last few years the skylight in my office has become a big nest for them - I get the pest control man in which then leads to me having to hoover my desk in the morning before I can do any work due to the mass of dead flying ant bodies on it.

Seriously at one point they were dropping down dead on to me from the skylight - so I single handedly dragged my heavy desk across the room and out from under the light - which did help. They gave me nightmares!!

So far this year I seem to have escaped from them - roll on October when we move offices, I'm not sure if I can handle another infestation.

• Zooropa
    Super October 2007
    Zooropa ·
    • Hide content

Today is def flying ant day - went out for a walk at lunch and they were everywhere. Horrible things.

• MissL
    MissL ·
    • Hide content

I hate, hate, hate them. They make my skin crawl. We've got lots here today but we've just had a big downpour so hopefully that's got rid of some of them.

There was suddenly loads of them a few weeks ago as well and there's me walking down the street being dive bombed by them and waving my arms madly like a complete lunatic whilst scratching furiously and no one else seemed at all bothered.

• Sare
    Beginner September 2002
    Sare ·
    • Hide content

Is anyone else plagued by those hover flies that look like wasps. I'm in N. Yorks, and for the last few days there's thousand of them everywhere. You can look in the sky and see them along with tons of cabbage white butterflies.

• Mrs S*
    Beginner January 2010
    Mrs S* ·
    • Hide content

There everywhere! When i came home from work i was getting attacked on my bike! As for the wasp like things... we had a BBQ at my parents in Sheffield on sat and sunday and there were millions! Nasty bugs go and die!!!! x

• Mrs Singleton
    Mrs Singleton ·
    • Hide content

We have a nest in our hall I cant believe it I tell no lie there were thousands of the buggers, I sprayed and dysoned the buggers and I live in hope they dont come back...

• Melancholie
    Beginner December 2014
    Melancholie ·
    • Hide content

We were enjoying a coffee al fresco this afternoon and had to go inside the shop for our second cup because of the sudden arrival of a crap load of flying ants. Horrible things. Came home to find Mum spraying a load of regular ones on the wall between neighbour's house and hers. Seems like the day for them.

• Hungry Caterpillar
    Beginner
    Hungry Caterpillar ·
    • Hide content

I think today is "the day" for them - just been on a short walk and there were loads round near where I live - and I've seen loads today whilst on my travels for work as well.

• Iris
    Beginner
    Iris ·
    • Hide content

I didn't pick the best day to do a bike/run brick session. They were everywhere.

• Consuela Banana Hammock
    Consuela Banana Hammock ·
    • Hide content

All over the park when I went running this afternoon and then all around the local streets and in our back garden (SW Birmingham) so definitely the day for them in this part of the country too. Ick.

• Allison Wonderland
    Beginner December 2006
    Allison Wonderland ·
    • Hide content

We have loads, probably hundreds of them, all around the front and side of our house. I nearly threw up at the sight of them today. We have pretty much covered the bottom of the house walls with ant powder ?

• KJX
    Beginner August 2005
    KJX ·
    • Hide content

The ones around here started bursting out the day before yesterday and have continued to today. Plus side is we have our resident bat pair bombing around the house like a pair of winged basking sharks - they look so happy! (ok, I can't see them and am imagining the expressions on their faces). I love bats. Hate the ants though.

• B
    bobbi ·
    • Hide content

My conservatry (sp!) was covered today had to get the fly spray out they covered all the windows it was awful but that spray does work.

feel really dirty now thou!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics