Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner October 2011

Flying with a broken foot?

SuperSpud, 3 of September of 2013 at 17:30 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 11

Bit of a odd question.

My mum "went over" on her ankle this morning walking my boys. After much cajoling and a touch of bullying she went to the Minor Injury's, they have x-rayed her foot and she's broken a metatarsal. She's in a temporary cast with a follow-up appt booked for the fracture clinic.

Now, Mum & Dad were booked to fly to Jersey on Saturday for a weeks holiday. Dad's immediate reaction is to cancel the holiday, but is it possible to fly with a broken (in plaster) foot? I'm bothered how much money they will loose, plus they were so looking forward to it.

11 replies

Latest activity by Erin8, 4 of September of 2013 at 12:32
  • Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content

Dont people break bones abroad all the time (skiing, lads holidays etc) and fly home?

I assume shel be ok!

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

My ex BIL ruptured his Achilles tendon the week before we flew to Spain and he was allowed to fly. He was in plaster upto his knee.

• mooshy
    Beginner April 2014
    mooshy ·
    • Hide content

It's years since I did anything related to a&e or fracture clinic so I'm trying to jog my memory, I think that for the first few days they advise you not to fly with a full cast (half cast/slab I think is okay) because the foot might swell inside the cast. After that I think it's fine. Would be worth checking with fracture clinic for advise.

• S
    Beginner October 2011
    SuperSpud ·
    • Hide content

Aha, brilliant! Thanks ladies!!

I spoke to Dad and he said the "airline wouldn't let Jean on the flight". I've just looked on EasyJet's website and it says it's ok as long as the cast has been on 48 hours.

ETA - thanks mooshy. She's not in a full leg cast, it just covers her foot / ankle & part of shi, deffo stops before her knee.

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

We flew with Easyjet when we went, no problem. I think he had been in the cast 48 hours at the very most

• mooshy
    Beginner April 2014
    mooshy ·
    • Hide content

Sorry I wasn't very clear, by full cast I meant a cast that goes around her whole leg either below knee or above. A half slab is when it is just encasing the back of the leg and the front side is usually open and wouldn't be a problem with regards to swelling. But as you say 48 hours onwards would usually be fine in either case.

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

Every single party holiday I have been in (kavos and the like) has resulted in at least one lad being on the flight home in plaster. I'm sure it will be ok.

• *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content

We normally suggest to contact the airline to see if they're happy with a cast. Backslabs are normally fine as they allow for swelling (hence the reason they're put on), but sometimes we have to bi-valve the scotchcasts (fibreglass full casts).

• Pompey
    Beginner June 2012
    Pompey ·
    • Hide content

I thought you needed a fit to fly note from the Dr?

• S
    Beginner October 2011
    SuperSpud ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone. I think they're going to cancel or perhaps see if they can move the dates to later in the year. Mum isn't shaping great with her crutches - she's putting the broken foot on the floor and lifting her good foot up ?

• *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content

Pompey - it depends on the airline! Some are happy and some are really strict!

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content

I had to fly home from holiday when l was 19 with a broken ankle and leg in a cast -drunken accident on the beach! I had to get the cast split down the front the day before the flight to avoid any issues from swelling. I was plastered from my toes to my knee. My ankle got re-set and re-plastered when l got home.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics