Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

N
Beginner March 2013

Foam flowers or real flowers - discuss...

Nic78, 5 of December of 2012 at 22:12 Posted on Planning 0 11

I am about to order my wedding flowers which are red foam roses, I have always planned on having artificial flowers as we live in the Midlands but are getting married in Ilfracombe and so just wanted to have as much sorted as possible and not have to worry about finding local suppliers.

Anyhow I am now having doubts about whether our guests might think its a bit strange/cheap to not have real flowers (this wedding malarky doesnt half make you second guess yourself!!!)

I love some of the pics I have found of foam wedding flowers and really like the idea of being able to keep my bouquet. Would really appreciate your thoughts on this - any OM's out there had foam flowers? Would you recomend?

Thanks ladies

11 replies

Latest activity by LuxuriousBrownDiamonds724, 6 of December of 2016 at 11:00
  • *Bea*
    Beginner October 2011
    *Bea* ·
    • Hide content

I will be honest, the thought of foam flowers doesn't appeal to me at all. But then I have never seen them IRL.

What are your plans for other flowers on the day?

I think if you go for it you need to make sure you pick a quality supplier.

Have you looked into local florists near your venue? Do the foam flowers work out cheaper or more expensive?

• N
    Beginner March 2013
    Nic78 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks both - I have emailed a couple of local florists for prices so that I can compare them. Have been quote £80 for foam ones (my bouquet, my sisters and 6 buttonholes) we're not having floral centrepieces so dont really need any others.

JoJo - I only thought about foam as they were the ones I've found online that look like what I want but I'll def take a look at where you had yours from too. Like Bea, I've never actually seen any artificial bridal flowers so its hard to know how good they are so its good to hear from others experiences.

N

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

Real all the way for me! Cant beat the smell of fresh flowers!

• mandspice
    Beginner September 2013
    mandspice ·
    • Hide content

I'm having artificial flowers and am considering foam. I saw these online and love them (our theme is black and white). We only need bouquets as we're not having floral table decorations:

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

I had silk flowers for my bouquet and everyone thouight they were real. With good ones (in realistic colours) it is very hard to tell.

Like you, I wanted to be able to get as much as I could done before the day and it was one less worry.

I now have the advantage of being able to get my bouquet out and put it on the mantlepiece for our anniversary!

• L
    Lemon Violet ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

My daughter got married I did the flowers and they were silk red roses from Van Hage garden centre and Village green wholesaler. They looked stunning and were very reasonable. Village Green bunches were great. Hope that helps

L:ynne

• Mrs Bass
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs Bass ·
    • Hide content

I had silk and no one could tell, and no one attempted to smell them! ?

I even had friend after the wedding who bitched about silk flowers and didnt believe that mine were silk and some that saw mine on my mantlepiece and were shocked at 'how well they had lasted'

plus, I won best flowers at the 2011 Hitched awards! Oh yeah! *polishes virtual trophy*

mine were by Hitched's very own Rainbow Florist!

• Going2theChapel
    Beginner March 2013
    Going2theChapel ·
    • Hide content

Real for me too! but i understand the difficulty of that with your situation and i have seen some really convincing fakes online just not in real life

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

I'm travelling to my wedding venue too so i'm having artificial bridesmaids flowers and button hole and I'm having a button bouquet which one of the OM's on here is making (and it's nearly done!) ?

• PosieBouquets
    PosieBouquets ·
    • Hide content

Foam flowers can often look more realistic than silk flowers, as long as they are the colourfast range they will be of high quality. Artificial flowers are increasingly becoming the first choice for brides.

• L
    Beginner November 2017
    LuxuriousBrownDiamonds724 ·
    • Hide content

I got foam flowers from an actual florist who makes them for you over at http://foambridalflowers.co.uk/ and I was over the moon!

I was debating either silk or foam for the best part of a year and finally opted for foam and I honestly cannot fault them. SO much cheaper too.

Everybody compliments how lovely they were, and the best part is that I got to keep them!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics