Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

A
Beginner May 2024 Somerset

Food for photographers etc.

Aimee, 15 of February of 2024 at 14:24 Posted on Etiquette and Advice 2 20

Hi all Smiley smile

What is the appropriate etiquette for providing food for people you have hired? We have two photographers and a videographer (or two, not sure yet). The photographers have said they don't expect food but will gratefully accept if offered, haven't asked the videographer yet. I'm torn because it feels awkward to ask these people to sit in the corner or another room whilst they're having their lunch, but also we're already paying them a ridiculous amount of money and I don't know if we can actually afford to pay an additional £200+ to give them a meal. I also feel like I would never expect my employer to pay for my (very expensive) lunch and would bring my own pack lunch, but I've heard that some people think it's rude not to provide for them.

Advice needed please!! x

20 replies

Latest activity by Ben, 19 of July of 2024 at 09:58
  • PhotographybyBillHaddon
    Super January 3000 Leicestershire
    PhotographybyBillHaddon ·
    • Hide content

No you don't that to supply food but some will actually have it in their contract that you have too. Its unusual for the food to be the same as your sit down meal so should not cost the same as yours, its also served in another room - the bar or somewhere and far from being awkward in another room - its actually preferred that way. It could be sandwiches with chips or crisps but mainly its perhaps a spare chicken breast with one side or something that is in all likelihood spare from the main meal that would otherwise be wasted sometimes it is preceded by a starter - again a spare one.

I agree with you that you are paying enough already for their services, I have spoken to vid guys at weddings that are astonished that I am not eating supplied food as I prefer to supply my own, I have also witnessed some help themselves to your reception drinks, canapés, have main food, scoff some evening buffet and leave missing the bride and dad dance.

• Hide content

I prefer to take my own snacks as sometimes staff do not know food was to be supplied then because I was expecting something I did not come prepared and so end up with nothing. Then not to upset the bride and groom when they ask how was the food I say "Loverly thank you"
    Also the staff at that time are so busy with the main service it can feel like I am a hindrance because I have to pester them for food.
    Also being fed as a supplier you will be served after the guests but I like to keep popping in to the room to get some candid shots as quite often the couple will visit tables in between courses. But by the time I receive food they are on a walkabout so I either have to woof it down quickly or leave it, but then when I return if I’m lucky its still there but its now cold or most of the time I find it has been taken away.
    So by taking my own supplies I can snack when it is convenient for me so I am in control and not missing any shots and I am always guaranteed a snack which is all I need to keep me going. I only shoot local weddings so I am not travelling for 2 hours after I leave you so am never back too late.

• Kristina
    Curious October 2025 Somerset
    Kristina ·
    • Hide content
    We are having two photographs, husband and wife. And my first thought was to add two extra meals for them , but now reading different suggestions I might be honest and ask photographers of what they prefer. As they will be starting from 10am up until 9pm .
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You could just not ask at all and see if they mention it first or check the contract to see if they have it as a requirement. I have seen on groups asking for second / replacement shooters, so often its written £500 paid and "Fed and watered" - like its an extra perk or benefit.

• R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

We offered our photographer a meal - I have a couple of friends who are wedding photographers, and while they don't expect to be fed, they always really appreciate it when food is offered. Both our photographer and my friends said that they preferred to have a simple meal (sandwich or similar) that they could eat in a separate room from the wedding reception, which made sense to me. After all, photographing a wedding is work and most people expect to be able to have a break from work when they eat!

If you can afford to, then offering food is a polite and kind gesture that is bound to be appreciated, even if the offer is not accepted. It doesn't have to be the same full meal that you are providing for your reception guests.

• Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content

We offered to put £25 per person on a tab for the restaurant on site at our venue rather than pay for a per head cost of our wedding meal, is there an option for this at your venue? Maybe ask your venue if they can suggest something for them to cater, but to be fair if it is not in the contract you are not obliged and as Bill said most providers will bring their own to snack on when there are gaps in the day as far easier than being tied to eating a meal that needs to be prepared and timings dont fit

• F
    Beginner May 2024 Lancashire
    Future Mrs J ·
    • Hide content
    If you would like to offer a meal to your photographers, I would maybe check with your venue whether they could give them a meal at a reduced cost compared to wedding guests. They may be happy with one course and the cost for a guest is usually more due to multiple courses being offered and at some venues include alcoholic drinks in the package which wouldn’t be needed if they are driving
  • L
    Laura ·
    • Hide content
    I personally think if it’s in the budget then do it and prioritise those that are there the longest! Otherwise, I really wouldn’t worry about it unless it’s in their contract. As you said, you’re already paying them a lot! You could always get them a bag of sweets and a drink as a nice gesture to keep them going or something? Just to show you’ve thought of them x
  • Jess
    Curious October 2025 Durham
    Jess ·
    • Hide content
    My photographer told me he brings his own packed lunch and wouldn’t expect to be fed. I think it’s down to the individual photographer but maybe ask them what type of food they would like if you did provide it. I doubt they’d want a big meal anyways
  • Katrina
    Dedicated February 2025 West Midlands
    Katrina ·
    • Hide content
    We are providing a meal Smiley smile
    As where the venue is its not close to shops its a good half an hour drive. So we would rather keep the photographer on site eat while we are eating. It's not in the contract but we don't mind Smiley smile.
  • A
    Beginner July 2025 Ceredigion
    Amy ·
    • Hide content
    I was planning on offering my photographer a meal and allow her to sit at one of the tables. She's going to be there for 10 hours so I think it's only fair to provide food but that's just my take on it 😊
  • K
    Beginner October 2025 Somerset
    Kerry1703 ·
    • Hide content
    Hiya, hope your planning has been going well. I’d advise to always read the contracts you sign with the vendors about food. My videographer requires a meal to be provided where as my photographer has said it’s optional but my videographer has advised me that putting £5- £10 behind the bar and they can use it to buy off the lunch menu if your venue offers a day to day lunch menu, typically they’ll sit in another room while the guests and the wedding party eat. So maybe that’s something to consider but yes always always check the contracts and if you’re not sure I’m sure they would be happy to answer any questions you have.

Good luck!!! ✨
  • Laurie
    Savvy May 2024 Lothian & Borders
    Laurie ·
    • Hide content

It is good etiquette to provide them with food especially if they are going to be there all day and not just for a few hours. It's a long day for them, and no one really wants photos of themselves eating - so eating when your guests are eating makes sense.

• S
    Dedicated March 2024 Hertfordshire
    SunnyPurpleFlowers85794 ·
    • Hide content
    Yes our venue suppliers good to suppliers at an additional cost but it’s way cheaper than the usual guest meal so I assume it’s something a bit more basic. You will definitely need to feed them, I know I’d work better on a meal!
  • A
    Aimee ·
    • Hide content
    Thank you soo much everyone for your input! This has been extremely useful for us and will help us make a decision on what we will do 😁❤️
  • Hampshire Wedding Photographer
    Hampshire
    Hampshire Wedding Photographer ·
    • Hide content

As a photographer it all depends on so many factors such as if your wedding is in the middle of nowhere and how many hours they are working. Most of the time the couples offer me a meal from their supplier, but it's not usually the same meal as the guests, few sandwiches, or a small plate, usually tucked away somewhere else in the venue. If I'm working more that 6 hours then it is in my contract, as with most photographers, and function bands also but I usually have something in the car, for back-up. Like the time the band ate my lasagne cooked by the brides mother (famous chef) specifically made for me the night before their wedding... been about 5 years and still not gotten over that.

• Katrina
    Dedicated February 2025 West Midlands
    Katrina ·
    • Hide content
    My photographer said its totally up to us ") we are only having around 35 people for wedding breakfast so we will provide a meal for him.
  • M
    Beginner March 2024 Tamil Nadu
    Monster ·
    • Hide content

If you're looking to sell your gold for cash in Coimbatore, Sri Sakthi Gold Finance is your reliable destination. With a reputation for transparency and fair dealings, Sri Sakthi Gold Finance ensures you receive competitive prices for your gold assets. Whether it's old jewelry, coins, or bullion, their professional team facilitates a seamless transaction process, providing prompt cash payments. Trust Sri Sakthi Gold Finance in Coimbatore for a trustworthy and convenient experience when liquidating your gold investments.

• M
    Durham
    Mrsg ·
    • Hide content
    I definitely wouldn't feel obliged. These professionals won't turn up expecting food, and although they are there for your special day they are ultimately there to do a job it will be their norm to pop off and have their own food and most likely won't even give it a second thought.

If you haven't yet thought about having your wedding flowers preserved @forever.florals.uk on Instagram I can recommend!
  • Ben
    Lothian & Borders
    Ben ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn’t feel obligated to provide food for the professionals. They’re not expecting to be fed; they’re there to do a job on your special day. It’s typical for them to take breaks and have their own meals, and they probably won’t even think twice about it .

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics