Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

P
Beginner

Food Help please - making gravy with an oxo cube???

peanut, 19 of October of 2008 at 14:10 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 5

I haven't got any bisto left, but I have an oxo cube. The joint of beef I have is pretty lean and the last time we didn't get any juices off it, can I make gravy with an oxo cube and water???

Thanks

5 replies

Latest activity by Sterner, 3 of March of 2023 at 04:34
  • alleroo
    Beginner January 2007
    alleroo ·
    • Hide content

Afaik oxo cubes are for using with the meat juices

if you dont get any I'd probably try making some kind of onion gravy, softening and caramelising a load of finely chopped onions in a pan, dissolve the oxo cube in the water, and then adding the liquid slowly until it tastes ok

• Old Nick Esq.
    Old Nick Esq. ·
    • Hide content

Meh.

Yeah. Just about. Oil a pan and sear your joint in it. Then brown off some onions, you can take them out again if you don't like oingyoing bits. Shake of garlic powder and same of black pepper. Add water & cube. Boil. Stick in a wee bit of cornflour.... Tah-dah.

Tis not Gordon Bloo but it's yorkshire pudding wetting material.

• kierenthecommunity
    Beginner May 2005
    kierenthecommunity ·
    • Hide content

I was going to suggest a type of onion gravy too, as i think one oxo may be a bit tasteless

i make the one in this recipe courtesy of queen delia, so you have any boullion? you could do amix of veg stock and oxo maybe

• P
    Beginner
    peanut ·
    • Hide content

Thanks very much everyone, I'll have a bash, beef and yorkshires just don't taste the same without the brown stuff poured all over.

really appreciate your help xx

• loopyloo33
    Beginner April 2006
    loopyloo33 ·
    • Hide content

I had to do this during the week. I made a rue with flour and butter and dissolved 2 beef oxo cubes in boiling water . I then added it to the Rue as if I was making a white sauce and hey presto thick gravy! It worked well and tasted fine

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics