Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sunset21
Beginner

Food issues - Beyond Chocolate? Anyone got it/read it?

Sunset21, 1 of June of 2009 at 09:23 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 7

I was sat in the car with H yesterday following yet another pact to lose weight starting today. We both yo-yo diet and have been successful in losing the weight and getting fit, my main stumbling block was when I got pregnant and put on 4 stone. I said i'd just like to not be obsessed with food, i'm not sure it's an obsession but I do love food and when I'm eating my dinner i'm already thinking of what i'm having for my tea, I can't start eating a cake and leave it half eaten, even if i'm full i'd eat the lot. If I have a multipack of crisps in my drawer at work I could eat them all. I think anyone that can keep a chocolate bar in their desk drawer for more than a day is just weird.

I think it was Mousie that's mentioned Beyond Chocolate, I was reading reviews on it last night and wondering whether I should try reading it. I'm sure i'm not alone in having these feelings/issues with food. I'd just love to be like a friend of mine who seems to eat when she needs it rather than because she's thinking about it IYSWIM.

7 replies

Latest activity by Mad, 1 of June of 2009 at 22:02
  • HeidiHole
    Beginner October 2003
    HeidiHole ·
    • Hide content

It is Mousie, I think she's had a lot of success with it and is now working for them as a Chocolate Fairy, I'd love a job title like that ?

I've heard really good things about Paul McKenna's 'I can Make You Thin' too, I'm thinking of giving it a go myself, ackcherloi.

• Smint
    Beginner June 2007
    Smint ·
    • Hide content

I think that Beyond Chocolate is very similar to the Paul McKenna "I Can Make You Thin" in that you eat what you want when you're hungry and stop when you're full (plus eat very slowly putting your knife and fork or sandwich down between bites and ENJOY the food). There's also a bit about leaving something on your plate, which I really struggle with - but I got round that by giving myself much smaller portions in the first place

When I remember to do it, it's very good . . . but it's so easy to get distracted and shovel the food in

I'm back on the diet today as I put on a couple of pounds on holiday with my Mum (understandable) and then a couple more pounds since I've been home! I'm basing my eating on Slimming World as I like lots of meat and fish, but trying to stick to the Paul McKenna principles and at least eating consciously even if I don't always stop when I'm supposed to

Oh for that magic weight loss wand!

Good luck with the weight loss and I hope you find something that works for you

• Sunset21
    Beginner
    Sunset21 ·
    • Hide content

That was another book on my mind to try and get from the library or the book shop Hole. I just wanted some recs. from other hitchers, other than Mousie obviously lol!

It's ok going on these diets every other week of the month but I really would like to change my attitude towards food, I really don't think it's healthy. It would be nice to change my attitude towards eating before MissSun gets to be as obsessed as I am.

• Doughnut
    Beginner June 2008
    Doughnut ·
    • Hide content

I'm a Paul McK fan, and recently came back from an all inclusive holiday no heavier ? Give it a go; it's about a tenner in the shops and takes an hour or so to read.

Edited to add, if you want proof of it I can provide photos ?

• raspberryjam
    raspberryjam ·
    • Hide content

I would highly recommend BC without wanting to go into too much detail it has helped me sort out some quite bad issues with food and body image, I went on a workshop and thought it was the best money I had spent, however I am currently on another diet as I have to be at a certain weight for treatment so have had to go back to dieting but BC got me out of the hideous cycle I was in.

Def worth a read.

HTH

• Lommel
    Beginner August 2014
    Lommel ·
    • Hide content

Hi - yup, tis me that "does" Beyond Chocolate. I'm not working for them yet, though I have recently finished my training so I can run their workshops and so on.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I (obviously) highly recommend it. Only thing I've been able to stick to. It's not a quick fix, at all, and it's not the same as Paul McKenna either (he only has 4 guidelines IIRC, we have 10 principles, which aren't rules at all), but if the reason you can't lose weight is because you eat for the wrong reasons rather than not knowing how many calories are in a Big Mac, then it really is very helpful. It was Rache that introduced me to BC in the first place and I didn't want to buy it because I thought it was "Fat and Happy", and it's so not ?

Anyway, the book is a really good place to start, let me know how you get on if you decide to buy it.

ETA - Got a bit excited at seeing a BC post on here - just wanted to add that your eating examples sounded exactly like how I used to be - I could inhale a packet of biscuits without thinking twice - having a big lunch would have no bearing on how hungry I was for dinner, I would always eat all three courses etc. I put on 5 stones of non-baby weight when I was pregnant, but it was realising that I hardly ever, if at all ate because I was actually physically hungry. And? I really didn't want to sound evangelical or "weird", but I often just eat half a chocolate bar now because that's enough and I don't want anymore. The other half sits in my handbag til I either eat it, throw it out, or it melts in the sun like yesterday

• Sunset21
    Beginner
    Sunset21 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for that Mousie. I've ordered it on Amazon and i'm looking forward to reading it. I need to change my attitude to food. When i've finished it i'll come back to you ?

(fwiw I looked at the Paul McKenna book too but the ratings on Amazon were higher for BC so that was the clincher).

• M
    Beginner January 2008
    Mad ·
    • Hide content

Oh mousie, how I would love to be able to eat half a choc bar and leave the rest because I;ve had enough. i see choc, i eat it, all,and more. Can a book really help with this? and the course? is it expensive?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics