Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lizzieloumoose
Beginner August 2010

Food wording on invite and a timing question

Lizzieloumoose, 3 May, 2010 at 12:06 Posted on Planning 0 5

We're having a late-ish evening do (starts at 8, first dance 8.30) so we're not having a buffet, but rather bacon/sausage rolls (and cheese & tom ones for the veggies) about 9.30 ish. The day guests would have started eating at about 6pm, so won't be starving, and I figured eve guests will have had enough time to eat before they left (venue is an hour from most people) How do I describe it on the invite in a civilised fashion, but so that people aren't disapointed to find there's no 'meal' as such? I want to be clear it's not a dinner replacement (as it'll be quite late) At the moment I have:

"There will be light snacks served a little later in the evening"

but it doesn't seem right to me....Sounds more like vol-u-vents! Or shall I just put:

"Bacon, Sausage and cheese rolls will be served later in the evening"

and be done with any airs and graces OR not mention it at all, have it as a nice surprise and risk starving guests? I guess you can't really be pretentious with sausage sarnies (which was kinda the point as it's meant to be sustaining food for the party-animals rather than a gourmet meal - the best wedding food I've ever had was bacon rolls followed by wedding cake)

On that point, we're having cupcakes. When do you think I should serve them? We're doing "cutting of the cake" before the eve guests arrive but planned to serve it to all guests at eve do. Should I do it after the first dance, or at 9 before snacks or after snacks as 'pudding'? All opinions gratefully received! ?

5 replies

Latest activity by Lizzieloumoose, 4 May, 2010 at 12:51
  • The Sock Chicken
    Beginner August 2010
    The Sock Chicken ·
    • Hide content

I don't thik I have ever been to an evening reception where it has said about a buffet or similar on the invite. I have aways just guessed there probably would be one but never taken it for granted and always eaten before going out. We are having a buffet, but have not put it on the invites.

• tinks269
    Beginner February 2011
    tinks269 ·
    • Hide content

I would hope that all evening guests know that they are not goig to have massive amounts of food and would therefore make sure they have eaten at least something before. I dont think there is any need for you to put it on the invitation. We are having cupcakes as well ad am planning that they are put out as the sweet thing on our buffet. That way eveyrone will get to enjoy them. At teh moment we are not sure whether we are having them made or whether my MIL will make them. If it is the former we are having a number made to display during the day and then having extra ones made which will not be decorated as much to make up the numbers.

• teeheeyoucrazyguys!
    teeheeyoucrazyguys! ·
    • Hide content

Canapes???? id hardly call a bacon butty a canape! Smiley smile

if you want to say something then say 'A selection of filled rolls........' but like Zipster said, theres never been a mention of evening food on any wedding invite ive seen in my 35 years.

we cut the cake before our first dance, as the evening guests had arrived by then. So they got to take pics too and then it was served with our buffet.

(we did a fake cut for the photograper prior to the meal - then another one at 8pm for real.)

• crafty em
    Beginner June 2008
    crafty em ·
    • Hide content

Have to agree with Zippy and Teehee, not had an evening invitation where food is mentioned either, just assumed they'd be a a "snack" available at some time. We did bacon and sausage rolls for our evening reception too, quite filling, and went down really well. Smiley smile

We cut and served our wedding cake as dessert (choc sponge or white choc with lemon sponge) after the evening buffet,

• Lizzieloumoose
    Beginner August 2010
    Lizzieloumoose ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone. I think I was just being a little too over the top about it. I was also concerned about veggies and allergies, but I'll already have those details for the day people and then I can just guess-timate for the evening people.

Thanks from grabbing me from the ledge of over-doing it!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics