Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

shoegal01
Beginner October 2010

Fooking Fook - People inviting themselves to the wedding!

shoegal01, 16 February, 2010 at 14:59 Posted on Planning 0 23

Aaaarrrrrhhhhhhhhh 3 people have done this now!

Firstly my old boss, who is lovely but of whom i had not intention of inviting him to the wedding emailed me asking the wedding date, so i told him and he tells me him and his wife will be booking a flight and can i give him the hotel details!

Secondly when 2 of the girls i am quite close to at work got wind that he was invited they ASSUMED they were invited and was asking if they were going to be on the 'work' table! WTF! I hadnt intended on inviting anyone from work to the ceremony - just the reception otherwise it gets into a visious cycle of who is and who isnt invited and then people get upset!

What can i do though - be like ohhhh well actually you wont be sitting on any table or booking any flights because your not invited?! ha!

Who does this - who invites themselves to a wedding! DAM THEM!

Are you lot having any work mates to the ceremony?

23 replies

Latest activity by debmci, 17 February, 2010 at 17:27
  • The BFG
    Beginner August 2010
    The BFG ·
    • Hide content

Work stay's just that!!! i thinks its quite rude of your boss to assume that he and his wife are invited, how bloody dare he!!!! Sod the hotel details and any others regarding your wedding for that matter!!!! x

• grace85
    Beginner February 2011
    grace85 ·
    • Hide content

I'm not having any works mates to either day or night i'm afraid. we've already got over 100 and that's just family and close friends. I have friends at work but i'm not that close to them to have them at my wedding.

As for people inviting themselves, i like to think i'd just turn around and say no way but if the situation came about i'm not sure, it depends if you really want them there or not and if you can afford the extra guests!

xx

• bethanw
    Beginner May 2010
    bethanw ·
    • Hide content

How rude of them! I'm not inviting work people to the day but I am inviting a few of my closer colleagues to the evening. None of them have assumed they're coming (unless they are but haven't told me that!)

• Saracroft251
    Beginner August 2010
    Saracroft251 ·
    • Hide content

This keeps happening to us, I have about 5 colleagues that have assumed they are coming, and the same has happened to R....we do not know how to approach the subject!

I mean what on earth are you meant to say to them ???

• Mrs S*
    Beginner January 2010
    Mrs S* ·
    • Hide content

Tell them noooo! They're not invited. How rude! Numbers and restrictions and all that! (not to mention the cost and the fact they're not invited!!)

• Mitzi50
    Beginner June 2010
    Mitzi50 ·
    • Hide content

Seriously rude!! im suprised your being so restrained and you havent yet told them where to get off!

All this wedding malarchy can be so policital sometimes though cant it! Although I only have one person thats invited themself at the moment, and as for my old boss I took his invite back as he peed me off!!

• debmci
    debmci ·
    • Hide content

Hmmm an awkward situation indeed. Iv got a similar situation myself wif numbers and work ppl so im not having any of them at the wedding but im gona do a big evening invite up to the evening reception. Im not sure how to go about ppl who are self inviting tho...other than telling them that due to numbers that you were unable to invitew them to the ceremony, but that you would love them 2 b part of the evening reception. I had a girl who im friendly with, through her sister. and she asked me if she could come to my wedding, but she came bk to me the next week in private and said that it had been a joke, she cud tell by my reaction that id been a bit short a words.

debs xo

• Houdini
    Beginner August 2010
    Houdini ·
    • Hide content

Could the old boss be booking flights just for the evening do? Seems odd but maybe a possibility?

I wouldn't say anything - just send out the evening invites to them!

• Stazzle
    Stazzle ·
    • Hide content

Shoe that's really rude and I would be p*ssed off!

Seriously if it was me, we are literally at bursting point with numbers and there are people we have both had to demote to the evening just because of this fact, so I would not be able to invite someone just because they've assumed they're coming. I would have to be 100% honest and just say "We're really tight on numbers so I'm afraid the ceremony and sit down meal is just limited to family and very close friends" and just explain that it wouldn't be fair to your OH if you had all of your work mates to the day as you've both agreed you wouldn't.

It may be awkward, but they have caused it by assuming! I can't believe people do this, I would never dream of it. ?

• B
    Beginner July 2010
    brideseekingblush ·
    • Hide content

Yep, Stazzle's advice seems bang on to me - I've got friends I've had for 6 years that I'm not going to be able to have for the whole day, but luckily no one's made assumptions with me. I'd say to your boss about just the evening, and tell the others that you're only having a small wedding - even just evening invites cost, so why have them if you don't want 'em!

• shoegal01
    Beginner October 2010
    shoegal01 ·
    • Hide content

Arrrrhhhhhh i know its rude but how the hell do i tell them that no you cant come!

Eeccck!

I will have to try the numbers excuse.....its horrible though isnt it upsetting someone who thinks they are good enough friends to be invited but really there not!

Im glad you lot all think its not fair aswel!

• M
    Beginner July 2010
    mrslowndes2b ·
    • Hide content

Hi

Just had to write its def not fair!! Im not having anyone from work but to be honest there is only 2 people I would want to anyway luckily getting married in another county so its abit of a treck even if I was going to!!

Id use the number excuse but its v rude to presume they r invited!! "work table"!!! lol as you said WTF!!!!

lol

• Steelgoddess
    Beginner June 2010
    Steelgoddess ·
    • Hide content

Tell em to slin their hook! They're not invited just stand your ground!!

My neighbour did his months ago trying to invite herself, I dont think so somehow!

Jut be upfront and say sorry its going to be very close friends and family

xx

• millymolly83
    Beginner August 2010
    millymolly83 ·
    • Hide content

I work in a tiny office (10 people) so invited them to the evening. Only invited 1 to the day as really close.

• The Sock Chicken
    Beginner August 2010
    The Sock Chicken ·
    • Hide content

WTF? How rude!

We are inviting people from work, but then we have hardly any family going so have the space. I am only inviting my friends from work, there are lots of colleagues who won't get an invite.

• cola
    Beginner September 2010
    cola ·
    • Hide content

I am inviting 3 to the day do from work as i'm they are my best buddies! but don't know about who to invite for the evening as i don't have room for everyone and feel mean leaving some people out and with the office politics cr*p as well, but i guess closer to the date i am going to have to be ruthless with the list and take it as read that they'll be a few that will b*tch behind my back they weren't invited! there is one who is a b*tch face who can sc*w off if she thinks i want her anywhere near my wedding!!!! luckily no one so far as invited themselves but i get the feeling that some will think they should be invited if so and so is!!!

• cola
    Beginner September 2010
    cola ·
    • Hide content

Haha i just had a funny idea you could tell them all that they can't come now because this random girl on the internet called cola has invited herself, her OH, their pet dog, and one of her long lost relatives to your wedding and she's already bought a hat for the big day so you simply daren't her she can't come! it would be funny to hear what they'd had to say! about that!!!

• P
    Beginner June 2010
    Priscilla42 ·
    • Hide content

I've got 2 work people invited but they are actually really good friends so that's ok. H2B is inviting lots of work people cos he's in the Army so they're all his best mates! We are still running dangerously close to overflow though as he has a huge family as well - headache!!!

xxx

• K
    Beginner April 2010
    kazndave ·
    • Hide content

A couple of friends have asked about the wedding n i've just had to say that we're keeping it quite small n only having family. felt a bit awkward doing it tho. Some friends have asked if they can be at the church to see us get married (which i have said yes) but they were ones that i would have invited if we could afford it.

• missdeedee
    Beginner April 2010
    missdeedee ·
    • Hide content

It's maybe a bit late now, but I would have just said at the time, 'actually we're really tight on numbers with family and we're going to invite you for the evening'

or if the guy and his wife had to travel and you were ok to have them there all day, I would have told the other people that you could only invite them at night and the only reason the other person was all day, was because you didn't want to ask them to travel just for the evening.

Seriously though, I would have been raging, that's the sort of thing that would make me not invite them at all!!!

• inalein
    Beginner August 2010
    inalein ·
    • Hide content

Thats really rude, can't believe people like that. I'd just tell them plain that they actually not invited. I'd actually ask them what made them assume that they're invited.

I'm having my direct team from work invited, as I spend 8hours a day/5days a week with them, and we are getting along great. So it's no probs for me. However I would be annoyed with them if they just assumed they were invited....thats mad

• debmci
    debmci ·
    • Hide content

You could also say about how lovely it was of your far away aunt to snd you a wee letter in reply to a save the date. and how that all day guests had 1 of them sent out. lol. thata way they will work it out!

debs xo

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics