Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Jokaty82
Beginner May 2012

For those that have got their ring re-dipped or cleaned - HELP!

Jokaty82, 17 of April of 2012 at 09:48 Posted on Planning 0 6

My white gold engagement ring has discoloured on the back band, its more yellow gold now than white gold.

Also I have a single diamond then diamonds along each shoulder. One of the small diamonds in the shoulder has discoloured and gone a bit cloudy.

I can really notice it and its annoying me. However, its only 5 weeks til we fly to Cyprus. The jewellers I bought it from is in another town, and I cant see that I have the time to get it to them, and then also pick it up a week or two later as our weekends are quite busy.

Did anyone get their ring cleaned or redipped at another jeweller to that they bought it from, and if so was you happy and how much did it cost? Also any advice about the single diamond thats gone a bit cloudy.

Thanks xxx

6 replies

Latest activity by Dana_leigh, 17 of April of 2012 at 18:05
  • Taylory
    Beginner July 2014
    Taylory ·
    • Hide content

I got mine cleaned / replated.

Made it look brand new again with that mirror finish look, just how i like it

I got it done in h samuels and cost £30. took just under 2 weeks Smiley smile

i have no advice with the diamond maybe just needs a clean x

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

Sounds like it needs re-plating. I have both rings replated and cleaned once every five years. If a diamond is loose, this may be the reason for the cloudiness but the jeweller will be able tell you this straightaway, I have mine done at Goldsmiths and last time (about 4 years ago) it cost £30 for both. I claimed through my insurance for a diamond that was missing out of my engagement ring - I banged it on the door handle and didn't notice until much later - that was £90 to replace. It's not a huge one either! My ER is a topaz surrounded by small diamonds - a bit like Diana's/Kate's ring in style but not in value Smiley winking if that gives you an idea.

• sophkitten
    Beginner May 2015
    sophkitten ·
    • Hide content

Any high street chain of jewellers should do it for you as I had mine done at Fraser Hart and took about a week.

The diamonds in my ring sometimes look like they have gone a bit dull but after a good clean with a gold cleaning solution and a little scrubbing brush to get under the diamonds (can use an old toothbrush to scrub it too) it comes up looking sparkling again, so it is probably just a build up of dirt under the diamond. X

• Jokaty82
    Beginner May 2012
    Jokaty82 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks. I have had it less than 2 years, and has been like this for awhile. To be honest not that happy with the jewellers even though at first we thought they were fab.

They are an independent, make all the rings, no two the same.

2 of the small diamonds fell out about 2 months after getting it, so we took it back to have them replaced. I now wonder if the one that has gone cloudy is a replacement one, and they replaced it with not as good a quality diamond as the others in the ring.

Hmmmmn hopefully the clean will get it sparkly and clean, but seems a bit quick to need being redipped, it needed it about a year ago if am honest xx

• DarkMoomin
    Beginner June 2012
    DarkMoomin ·
    • Hide content

I have had my ER redipped once a year ater it was bought, and will have it done again within 2 years (so its all new and shiny looking for the wedding)

TBH It only just really needed doing on the back the first time, but it was free within a year of purchase so did it anyway. This time it doesn't reallyneed it either, just getting it done now for the wedding.

It seems that the finish has lasted better after the first redip - but that could be that I have been less hardwearing on it recently, spent alot of time doing alot of manual work renovating our house just fater we got engaged!

Its not an expensive thing to get done, so if you don't like how it looks, just get it done! it is a down side of white gold.

• Dana_leigh
    Beginner August 2013
    Dana_leigh ·
    • Hide content

My ring is needed replating and its not a year old yet. When we bought it we were told that it would need doing every year to keep it looking white, and it would be about £30 that was at F Hinds.

I'm planning on taking mine in soon to be done, as I wear it all the time for everything so am not suprised it has discoloured at the back, especially as I have a messy job!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics