Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

P
Beginner October 2016

Foundation for wedding

Pink Sparkle, 10 of March of 2016 at 21:52 Posted on Planning 0 17

Hi

I am looking for some recommendations for foundation make up for the big day.

My hairdresser also does make up so is going to help with my make up on day but i have said that i want to supply the foundation. I have sensitive and dry skin where sometimes foundation can end up drying in patches on my face. I am looking for foundation that wont be too drying on my skin but will also stay on all day - does this even exist?

My normal night out foundation is good for coverage but i seem to look really white in flash photos and i know im pale but in the photos i can sometimes look ghostly and wouldn't want that in the wedding photos.

Im planning on visiting a department store for samples or to try the make up...any one got any recommendations that i should look out for and sample?

Thanks!

17 replies

Latest activity by Vixy1987, 11 of April of 2016 at 09:16
  • S
    Beginner August 2018
    SoontobeMrsS ·
    • Hide content

I used to love Pro Lumiere by Chanel for events but they discontinued it >Smiley sad

Now I wear MAC studiofix which is amazing but you might want to try Face and Body if you're worried about flashback.

I'm going to get some EL Double Wear this weekend but I've hear opposing views as to whether this causes flashback. I'm sure a MUA will stop by and help soon!

I'm part of a group called MrsGloss & TheGoss on Facebook which is full of makeup addicts and are really helpful.

• M
    Beginner April 2016
    MrsRees2B ·
    • Hide content

Mu mua uses urban decay products for everything. I have really sensitive skin and didn't bring me out in a rash so I'm happy lol

• P
    Beginner October 2016
    Pink Sparkle ·
    • Hide content

Thanks. That sounds like my kind of facebook group! Will look it up.

I currently use EL Double wear, and it is really good but in some photos i get flashback. Not all the time but enough to cause me a bit of concern. I am hoping to find some foundation and then use it when we have a pre wedding photoshoot with the photographer.

• R
    Dedicated June 2016
    RachD90 ·
    • Hide content

Hi am a Makeup Artist and the reason your getting flashback is because of spf. Most foundations have spf in it nowdays and that's what causes the white cast on your face in flash. Anything with a spf of 15 and below is fine. I use Mac Face & Body as someone else has said and it has never flashed back for any of my brides and is beautiful. Its a light to medium coverage but can be wore sheer or you can layer it for heavier coverage. Its waterproof as well and does stay on all day even though its pretty dewy and brilliant for dry or flaky skin. I have dehydrated skin and I love it. Another popular wedding foundation is Giorgio Armani Silk Foundation that has no spf in it and is used a lot and i've used it for wedding makeup. Charlotte Tilbury does a beautiful one named light wonder. For my own wedding day am using Dior Airflash as it's really natural looking, long lasting, doesn't stick to dry patches and it gives that airbrush effect.

• Stephisaur
    Beginner April 2017
    Stephisaur ·
    • Hide content

I really like the No 7 foundation.

I use the stay perfect one in Cool Ivory:

http://www.boots.com/en/No7-Stay-Perfect-Foundation_1376459/

It's the best match I've ever found and I look no more ghostly in pictures than normal haha

I use the Protect & Perfect Day cream before I do my makeup - it has really helped my dry skin

http://www.boots.com/en/Protect-Perfect-Intense-ADVANCED-Day-Cream_1571330/

xx

• P
    Beginner April 2016
    Pooba ·
    • Hide content

I really struggled for a long time with foundation - I have whiter than white skin and foundation towards the end of the day used to get greasy and congealed, particularly on my cheeks.

I went through Maybelline, No. 7 and Rimmel, before trying MAC Studio Fix. While it's not perfect - it still feels a little greasy when I have particularly bad skin - it was definitely the best of all I've tried and sampled.

My MUA used EL Double Wear at the trial and within an hour it was congealing. Now we're going to be using my own foundation for the wedding and maybe a little of hers to cover any bad blemishes.

• Aimee Hicks (Makeup HIB)
    Aimee Hicks (Makeup HIB) ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

To keep your makeup on all day and to stop dry patches etc, then you need a primer. Lauren Mercier hydrating primer is very good.

You might find that the double wear foundation you are using is drying your skin out as it can be quite drying. If you try another foundation you might find that your skin doesn't get dry patches. If this is the case then try the Laura Mercier primer for normal skin.

I use Clinique Superbalanced on my brides. It gives lovely coverage and hydrates dry areas and mattifys oily areas.

Aimee x

• P
    Beginner October 2016
    Pink Sparkle ·
    • Hide content

Thanks all for taking the time to comment. I now have a few ideas of foundations to try so will see if i can get samples of them.

Thanks for the tips on primer...i have one but rarely use it! Will start using it more!

• D
    Beginner December 2016
    DB2016 ·
    • Hide content

I swear by Bare Minerals, gives as much coverage as you want without feeling cakey or heavy.

• Karen84
    Beginner July 2016
    Karen84 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks for the tip. I joined over the weekend and I am absolutely obsessed already!

• 2BMrsC
    Beginner May 2017
    2BMrsC ·
    • Hide content

I've bought some Smashbox foundation for my wedding- it doesn't have any SPF so doesn't flash back and is designed for use with photography in mind- I have dry, sensitive skin and have gone through everything from No 17 to Clarins trying to find a foundation that suits my skin and doesn't make me look like a ghost or 'tangoed' and lasts... even the airbrush make up the MUA I had a trial with only lasted 4-5 hours before it started to look patchy and 'caked' and it played havoc with my skin.

The Smashbox make up I bought lasts all day and doesn't cause rashes or break outs... Love the Smashbox!! (It does last better and go on easier with a primer though- I think primer is the key once you find a shade and texture you like!)

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

Bare Minerals is great but also full of titanium dioxide which can also give that white flashback in photos. If you have a pro tog it shouldn't be an issue really, but worth bearing in mind for guest photos etc.

I wore Bourjois Healthy Mix which is not too drying and no titanium dioxide. I also use Nivea Express Hydration Primer which I've found to be as good as any more expensive brands I've tried. A lot of primers are silicone based which looks terrible if you have dry patches - you definitely need a moisturising one. Also sheet masks are great for moisturising and evening out your skin - I love the Korean brand TonyMoly which you can buy on ebay.

• M
    Beginner March 2017
    MrsJFC2be ·
    • Hide content

I would highly recommend Illamasqua Skin Base, gives a great coverage and is really light on your skin! The MUA i have booked uses it (I'm going for airbrush) but I use illamasqua almost every day and swear by it!

• NorthernLights
    Beginner November 2017
    NorthernLights ·
    • Hide content

I have the exact same skin as you, very Pale, dry and sensitive and I have to be careful what I use

I've found some great ones in the past but my favorite has GOT to be Estee Lauder - Double Wear.

I love it - Feels really light on my skin - has a good coverage and doesn't pick up dry skin!

they will give you a little tester pot if you go to Boots or Debenhams and ask! Smiley smile

Good Luck xx

• P
    Beginner October 2016
    Pink Sparkle ·
    • Hide content

NorthernLights- Estee Lauder Double Wear is great isn't it. I only use it for nights out/special occassions and love the coverage and feel of it. The only reason i am not using it on my wedding day is because i get flashback in flash photos. Wore it to some weddings recently and it fine in professional photos but the flashback was really bad in guest photos. My friends found it hilarious in all the photos - Im not difficult to spot in the photos with my very bright white face!

I have been to boots and debenhams on two different sundays (only day i can do due to work and commitments) and most of the make up counters are not staffed. Just waiting for a saturday im free and will visit the make up counters for samples.

• Juliet Cunnington (Makeup HIB)
    Juliet Cunnington (Makeup HIB) ·
    • Hide content

Unfortunately Estee lauder double wear is a complete no no for bridal makeup as it will really ghost out on camera - it has a high content of titanium dioxide which bounces back camera flash.

From how you've described your skin I'd highly recommend Bourjois Healthy Mix applied with a Real Techniques Stippling brush This will be great for your dry skin but won't be so dewy that it looks sweaty on camera. When you use a stippling brush it will push the foundation into the skin and look very natural.

Juliet www.bridalmakeupbyjuliet.co.uk

• H
    Beginner October 2016
    HappyGoldDecor533 ·
    • Hide content

Here are my musings so far (from a product junkie looking for the best make up for my wedding day Smiley smile )

- Giorgio Armarni, Luninous silk. Couldn't wait to get my hands on this, bought their loose powder to set T-zone too. Unfortunately found it drying!

- Bobbi Brown Face stick. A base I always use, recently gone back to it as it blends so nicely. A definite contender!

- Lancôme teint idole. Lovely finish, a dream to apply but I find it oxidises on my skin.

I suggest you purchase any contenders and wear them for work etc to see how they last, that's what I have done. At least you know which wear well!

I think you have to get the formula right for your skin type. I have dehydrated cheeks but slightly oily T-Zone. Going to try using mattifying primers on T-zone and illuminating primers on cheeks and forehead.

Any my suggestions also greatly received!

• Vixy1987
    Beginner May 2016
    Vixy1987 ·
    • Hide content

I was going to use Estee Lauder Double Wear but when I went for a trial it was just too much for me (I don't wear a lot of make up) so I ended up with Clinque Beyond Perfecting foundation. It's super light but really good coverage.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics