Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Jay-Low
Beginner

Four Wedding US and Chair Covers

Jay-Low, 12 of August of 2010 at 01:17 Posted on Planning 0 30

Just been catching up on Four Weddings US (I'm not an insomniac I'm just nocturnal because I work nights!!).

One of the brides had white chair covers with organza bows tied around them to match her colour scheme. One of the other brides described them as "horrible 80's tack".

What is everyone elses opinions on chair covers and bows? I like them!

30 replies

Latest activity by mrsgreatbatch2b, 12 of August of 2010 at 14:00
  • CupcakeQueen
    Beginner January 2011
    CupcakeQueen ·
    • Hide content

I love them and there is no way I wouldnt have them, I just think they make a room look put together and neat. I would only think differently if I had super nice chairs, which my venue doesnt particularly.

• C
    candyzhang ·
    • Hide content

I love them very much. I will get it when i get married.

• mrsjbw2b
    Beginner August 2010
    mrsjbw2b ·
    • Hide content

We had them to match the colour scheme of the room, the venues chairs clashed, we saw the seats set out without the covers and with the covers, it looked so much better with the covers

• TheNinjaPigeon
    Beginner January 2011
    TheNinjaPigeon ·
    • Hide content

Not having them myself - not because I don't like them, because I do and I think that they finish the room nicely it's just that the budget is already being stretched so its an extravagance that's had to go as there are other things that I personally wanted to have more. x

• Suzie&Karl
    Beginner January 2012
    Suzie&Karl ·
    • Hide content

Lol i saw that too and i was like omg!

I love them and i'm certaily having some '80s horrible tack' at my wedding lol!

Nothin wrong with them!

x

• charliebird7
    Beginner March 2012
    charliebird7 ·
    • Hide content

I saw this too and thought what the hell is she on about! I love chair covers and sashes, I think they really transform a room. x

• C
    Beginner October 2011
    CLAIREYFAIRY2 ·
    • Hide content

I also saw that and was quite shocked when she said it..... but she's in America maybe its different there! I love chair covers and wouldn't dream of not having them!!!

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content

I don't like the bows myself, but I saw a photo where they'd tied the sashes in a different, more understated way and it looked lovely. We haven't seen the chairs at our (possible) venue yet but if they're nice enough plain, we won't bother with chair covers purely because of the money. If the chairs are awful though, I might have to insist!!

Something like this (but not lime green, lol):

• Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content

80's??? They are getting more & more popular!

Having seen venues with & without them I love the chairs dressed not just because I do Chair Covers!

Saying that if the Venue has nice chairs then there is no need to dress them.

Same Venue with & without Chair covers:

• E
    Beginner September 2010
    enelya ·
    • Hide content

Chair covers was one of the things I just didn't get before I was engaged, and then looooved once I got the rock. We are not having them for budget reasons, but I do think they make a room look more together. I think they are especially nice for ceremonies.

Not old enough to remeber 80s weddings, but fairly sure they are becoming more and more popular!

• GemmaLouise1986
    Beginner
    GemmaLouise1986 ·
    • Hide content

I think in a big room they can look lovely. We're not having them as there's only 30 of us and the room is small and it'll be too much. Also, they are veryexpensive!

• P
    Beginner September 2010
    princess fantasia ·
    • Hide content

Trickers thats is what i had -

• Tina Teaspoon
    Beginner May 2011
    Tina Teaspoon ·
    • Hide content

I have a love/hate relationship with chair covers. On the one hand I think they are a lot of money for something that guests really don't notice that much, and I am not a fan of the big bows really. But on the other hand, the chairs at our venue are not very nice!

So we will have them if we can afford them, but I need an alternative to the big bows - and I still feel terrible about potentially spending so much money on something that people essentially won't see very much because they'll have their jackets hanging on the back, etc.

• nicnol
    Beginner October 2011
    nicnol ·
    • Hide content

Couldn't believe she said that either! I agree with all the posts above and think they bring a room together (if chairs aren't very nice). I'm hoping to be able to afford them in the budget....my potential venue charges £4.95 a chair I think. which is about another £380!

• teeheeyoucrazyguys!
    teeheeyoucrazyguys! ·
    • Hide content

I had never heard of them before I got married, I reckon they are an american import hence the 80s comment, (tis only american movies I have seen weddings outside and the chairs are all decorated in the garden etc etc etc)

I dont care for them at all, our chairs were rubbish but once people sat on them I couldnt see them!

they must take ages to sort out and put together sherrie? bet a few hems need pinned too if they are longer than then chairs themselves? plus all that washing and ironing of them..... why put someone through all that, lol, poor sherrie and her team lol Smiley smile

• agentblackcat
    Beginner July 2011
    agentblackcat ·
    • Hide content

Lol - I think as others have said they can really transform a venue. I was not going to have them due to budget constraints but my Gran has offered to pay for these now as she did not like the seats for cermony which is ace - booked them yesterday - having white with gold sashes £3 a chair tooSmiley smile

• Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content

Teehee I am glad someone appreciates the time that goes into them! I start at the beginning of the week with all the washing & ironing of them ( all done by myself!) and then they are all hung on hangers & transported, put on the chairs & each bow tied by hand. The day after the wedding we are back on the road to pick them all up again & it starts again! Over the next 2 weeks I have 800 chair covers to wash & iron besides all the flowers!

A lot of Brides complain about spending £3.50 per chair covers but if they take into account the laundering of them, the travel to & from the venue & the 3hrs it takes to set them up they would realise this is cheap.

Here are some behind the scenes look at my job!

It is not as glamourous as it seems!!

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

I can see why the Americans think they're dated. We got the idea from there and now they've moved on, so to them, it really is 'dated'. In a few years time, I suspect more and more people in our position will be hiring the chairs that we want rather than simply covering them!

They can definitely transform a room. I really like the version that SammyJay (I think) showed on the previous page. I like the more understated tie rather than a bow.

• teeheeyoucrazyguys!
    teeheeyoucrazyguys! ·
    • Hide content

Seeee?????????? look at what you are doing to this poor woman, i'm surprised shes got time to Hitched and go to swanky events like she does when shes tied to her ironing board and her poor wee washing machine - not to mention her leccy bills, my god!!!

(Put your prices up, sherrie!!!)

• E
    Beginner September 2010
    enelya ·
    • Hide content

What do you do when it rains?!!!!

• Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content

Tumble drier!! In the winter it is a mad dash when we have a dry day or the Launderette which works out even more expensive so in the end I am doing the job for pennies!

• bethanw
    Beginner May 2010
    bethanw ·
    • Hide content

What Sherrie said! I love them and not just because I supply them. I wash and iron all mine myself too. It's hard work but I love it and love seeing the before and after photo's we take.

I think the thing in America now is to hire your chairs so they hire ones that don't need covers. Over here it's not really done unless you're hiring a marquee although even then we've done bookings to cover them!

• bethanw
    Beginner May 2010
    bethanw ·
    • Hide content

I've had enquiries about coloured chair covers but not enough for me to take it seriously. RaeF had black chair covers at her wedding but i've not seen anything other than black.......yet!

• B
    Beginner September 2011
    blueeyedgirl ·
    • Hide content

What else would you have?! Lol. I am having them - think they transform the room and make it look lovely and weddingy. I wouldnt necessarily have them but our chairs are a big school dinnery so felt I needed them!

• Jay-Low
    Beginner
    Jay-Low ·
    • Hide content

I thought this might spark a big reaction!

Personally, if the chairs at my venue were nice and they matched my colours I would have left them as they are.

But the chairs at our venue are red and gold and our colours are hot pink and orange so I decided to cover them. I do agree they make a big impact when you walk into the room and tie the colour scheme together. And having seen all the work that goes into it I think I've managed to get myself a bargain on mine!!

I was also shocked when she said it on four weddings US but I hadn't thought about the fact that we are a bit behind them in wedding trends so it prob does seem "so last year" to them! ?

• Teri_M
    Teri_M ·
    • Hide content

From an artistic point of view, I think they complete the look of a room. Like Sherry said, sometimes a venue may have nice chairs,, but most often or not, the chair covers and ties just bring it all together. There is a lovely local venue that has ugly chairs out for the ceremony, it's a very popular venue, but the chairs let it down in my opinion.

• P
    Beginner September 2010
    princess fantasia ·
    • Hide content

I used a company called speciality linnens they are uk wide, when i got there brouchure they have chair covers in every colour and pattern, some crazy ones like lepoard print, metalic etc. I went for white just because it went with the marquee, but there were some really nice different ones available.

• Teri_M
    Teri_M ·
    • Hide content

I was in America to photograph a wedding in June, the ceremony was outside, as well as the tables for the meal. They didn't use chair covers for the ceremony, and for meal. It was very classic looking, and since it was all done outdoors at a ranch, it would have looked out of place to have chair covers. But for an indoors situation, I think it would have looked too casual to not have covers. Wish we could do more outdoor weddings here,, lol. Very risky tho, Smiley winking

Sherrie, that is an insane amount of work, 3.50 is more than reasonable considering all that you have to do, when you consider the setting up and tear down time involved.

I think you have to rememeber that on 4 Weddings, both UK and US versions, it's the point of the show to have brides who are such polar opposites in their ideas and style of wedding. I can vouch that not all Americans think chair covers are tacky 80's, lol. Certainly not THIS one anyway Smiley winking Love the hot pink and orange colour scheme by the way, it's one of my favorites Smiley smile

• mrsgreatbatch2b
    Beginner July 2012
    mrsgreatbatch2b ·
    • Hide content

The cheeky cow! lol!

Sherri that venue does look a lot better with the chair covers on.

Princess Fanatasia that's what mine will be like.

I'll be having them but then again i've got a package with my venue and there included, but the chairs are nice and if they went with my colour scheme I wouldn't have them. However I do like to see them because I think it can sometimes pull the whole look together.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics