Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

G
Beginner September 2005

Freecycle etiquette

Gingey Wife, 17 of October of 2008 at 09:52 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 7

Do you give the things to the first reply or wait and see who is the most worthy/who you like best?

7 replies

Latest activity by sarahjl, 17 of October of 2008 at 10:33
  • Carob
    Beginner February 2007
    Carob ·
    • Hide content

I just gave it to the first person to reply, others do a random drawing or most worthy/who they like best. It's really up to you.

• S
    sarahjl ·
    • Hide content

I think Freecycle recommends that you wait and get a number of responses before deciding. Our local group has just sent an email round about people taking stuff and then selling it on. They have asked that when we say an item has gone we put the email address of the person who took it so they can monitor and see if the same names keep cropping up.

I have just put on a potable tv and the first response was 'interested, please'. He will NOT be getting it!

• G
    Beginner September 2005
    Gingey Wife ·
    • Hide content

Oops. I've just given a couple of things as they were first. I might wait for the rest.

I'm a bit unsure of a couple of people who have asked for it all. There are 7 items.

• Mrs Magic
    Beginner May 2007
    Mrs Magic ·
    • Hide content

I refuse to give to the first reply as that's usually the person who has the internet on all day and can reply quickly, rather than the person who may need it most. I usually give it overnight or at least 10-12 hours.

I do love a good sob story. ?

• Mrs Magic
    Beginner May 2007
    Mrs Magic ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Nooooo! Don't give to them, they'll want to sell them, especially if they are all very different items.

I always make sure the person I give to has manners too and I refuse to give to txtspkrs.

• K
    Beginner May 2007
    Kegsey ·
    • Hide content

I wait and see if I get several replies before telling someone they can have it. If I get multiple requests, then I discount any textspeak, unpunctuated or "me please" replies.

• G
    Beginner September 2005
    Gingey Wife ·
    • Hide content

All have been very polite and no text speak. Ours obviously attracts a higher clientele of freecyclers.

• S
    sarahjl ·
    • Hide content

It's difficult isn't it? My TV has attracted a number of sob stories but anyone can make something up!

As Mrs Magic says there are a lot of people hovering over the site waiting for things to come up and then making a great living car-booting them every Sunday.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics