Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kentish Gal
Beginner July 2013

Freezing cupcakes? And general dessert advice :)

Kentish Gal, 13 January, 2013 at 16:00 Posted on Planning 0 7

Hello, future ma-in-law is V-E-R-Y keen we have a wedding cake, all traditional-like, but we're not overkeen... So we think we've found a solution. Please, ladies, let me know what you think...

The day is intended to be informal and village fete/family BBQ feel. In the afternoon we've a hog roast, followed by an ice cream van. In the evening we've a fish and chip van, a cheese tower with rustic bread and biscuits, and finally, 'cake'. We were going to have an array of old-school desserts (trifle, black forest gateaux, cheesecake etc) but it seemed daft seeing as we're trying to steer of anything needing too much in the way of cutlery and places to sit and eat 'proper' having seen it go a bit wrong at a couple of receptions. And I don't like cake pops. So a big tier of cupcakes, with a very small, sweet wedding cake on top seems to be the ideal. We'll cut the cake in the evening, and will need around 130 cupcakes.

Any pro's and con's so far on this idea?

It's a lot of cupcakes. Can we make them and freeze them? Then we'd decorate them the day before? I know NUFFINK about baking etc... would we leave the traditional cake out in the day time for people to get a nose at, but then in the evening bring the cupcakes out with all the other evening food, because otherwise the icing etc will go hard/horrible if they're out from midday through to midnight?

Thanks for any help!

7 replies

Latest activity by Victoria030384, 15 January, 2013 at 16:37
  • *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

I prefer the sound of old school desserts.

You can freeze cupcakes no problem but would you really want to be spending the day before the wedding icing all of them?

• Kentish Gal
    Beginner July 2013
    Kentish Gal ·
    • Hide content

We'd get help from the mums I imagine, it's only a blob of icing and a rice paper heart with our names on. Not too bad I don't think.

• LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content

We don't do all that tradition stuff. I do like the idea of old school desserts.

We bought a little top cake to please the oldies them we bought a load of French Fancies from the Asda.

• LilMissBusyBride
    Beginner August 2013
    LilMissBusyBride ·
    • Hide content

Sounds good! I know some ppl buy those big tubs of cupcakes from Asda, Tesco etc and then decorate if you'd prefer not to make so many.

• Rhoslyn
    Beginner July 2013
    Rhoslyn ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

I hope I can help. Myself and my friend made 120 cupcakes for my friends wedding last summer. They were fairly simple (2 flavours) and butter cream topping. It took about 6-7 hours to complete them all between 2 people.

It was good fun and you may have a friend who can help out with this- BUT there are downsides which we didn't realise about. How do you get them transported to the venue? Butter cream/ fresh cream toppings will tend to melt in heat - where are they going to be stored before you serve them? any icing which touched butter cream tends to melt and dissolve as do some decorations if left overnight.

They were lovely and went down a treat but just thought you might want to think about the difficulties.

Cake tables have become really popular recently- could you have a small traditional wedding cake and ask people to bring different cakes?

R xxx

• V
    Beginner August 2013
    Victoria030384 ·
    • Hide content

I decided early on to make my own cake as I didn't see the point in paying a fortune for someone to do it for me! After much deliberation (and a few practice runs) I decided a 3 tier cake would be more difficult to store and transport so I am making a fruit based cutting cake, which can be made and decorated in advance, then cupcakes. There will be 180 to make so the plan is to bake them on the Monday (we get married Friday) and store them in large airtight containers. I have done a practice run (below) and it went well. As they are vintage style the are made with royal icing not buttercream so no worries about them melting or the buttercream getting ruined in transport. Also my decorations can all be made in advance and stored so on the Thursday it will just be a case of roll and cut out circles for the top, stick them on and decorate! Plus I have a team of helpers drafted in too!

• Kentish Gal
    Beginner July 2013
    Kentish Gal ·
    • Hide content

They look awesome and the royal icing is a stroke of genius and might just make the difference for us.

Just a thought - we were going to have the rice paper hearts with our names on, but we'll need a way of sticking them to the buns....

• V
    Beginner August 2013
    Victoria030384 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I have never used rice paper myself but I am guessing you would cover the cupcake in a circle of royal icing (stuck down using a blob of buttercream) and then just stick the rice paper heart on top using a small drop of water? I would try it and see but I would guess you would stick it using the same method as I did for the decorations.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics