Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

tortoise

Freezing petals?

tortoise, 2 August, 2012 at 21:07 Posted on Planning 0 8

I've decided to make my own confetti from my hydrangea bush. I've just started pulling petals off to dry them out and it's taking FOREVER! If it works, can I freeze them and just keep adding bits as I go along, then take it all out a day or 2 before the wedding? Feel free to laugh if I'm being completely ridiculous Smiley smile x

8 replies

Latest activity by onetwothree, 3 August, 2012 at 09:38
  • *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

Well freezing them not rehydrate them and cause them all to stick together in a soggy lump?

• tortoise
    tortoise ·
    • Hide content

I have no idea. I was thinking they might end up soggy when I defrosted them ?

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

I just envisage frozen spinach type soggy but could be wrong.

• tortoise
    tortoise ·
    • Hide content

I've never had frozen spinach, but it doesn't sound great x

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

If you could put the petals on a tray & not touching each other, they would freeze individually BUT, as soon as they come out, they will defrost & get into a wet lump!

You could possibly dry them in a food dehyrator, but they might end up too crispy & crush into powder! You coudl try pressing them in a flower press, but they usually stick to the paper. There is a powder you can put flowers in which takes the moisture out. I'm sure florist HIB's would know the name, but I have no idea if the effort of trying all these things out might end up costing more than buying petals elsewhere.

• MonaLisaBrideToBe
    Beginner June 2012
    MonaLisaBrideToBe ·
    • Hide content

If you search the posts on here the other day there was one about putting petals in the microwave or oven to dry them out.

I dried my rose petals out and although a long process went down well and came out great x

• tortoise
    tortoise ·
    • Hide content

Yeh that was my thread lol. It's just taking a lot longer to pull off each individual petal than I thought, so even with microwaving it's going to be easier for me to do them when I can. I'm off work right now, but when I go back it's going to be a pain to find time to do them all. Maybe I should just buy some Smiley sad

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

I've never tried freezing petals but I would imagine that there's a fairly good chance they might go soggy Smiley sad I've air dried flowers many times and although it works, the conditions have to be just right to stop mould growth etc so it's fairly hit and miss. You can preserve flowers in silica gel but not all flowers are suitable so again, it's trial and error and the gel is quite expensive so it would work out cheaper to buy ready made confetti rather than this method. Delphinium petals are a pretty alternative for confetti and are available on line in different colours.

• O
    Beginner January 2011
    onetwothree ·
    • Hide content

I just bought some from Shropshire petals - for putting on tables rather than throwing though. They are really lovely and arrived very quickly. They have a 10% off summer sale that ends today (the code is SUMMER - it's up on their facebook page). That prompted me to get them!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics