Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner August 2019

Fresh flowers for wedding?

SunnyBlueCars88915, 14 of December of 2019 at 11:55 Posted on Planning 0

Hello! How are you and your wedding preparations?

In 4 years I have a wedding but I love to plan earlier so I hope that everything will go like I dream. I wanted to ask you what do you think about fresh flowers on the wedding party? I would like to grow them on my own so I could save some money but is it worth? I would have to buy lots of different seeds and I am afraid that something will go wrong.

I found some beautiful cockscombs on https://gardenseedsmarket.com/cockscomb.html which seems really nice, there are 600 seeds in one pack so it is quite cheap..What other plants will be good for wedding?

Thank you for every comment!

• R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

I'd say it depends on what type of flowers you want and what time of the year you are getting married. Also, you need to think about how flexible you will be - so if your preferred flowers aren't in bloom or don't look good enough at the time of the wedding, will you be happy to swap for something else or not?

I'm a gardener, and one of the gardens I used to work at had a display at Chelsea. You would not BELIEVE the number of plants that were grown for that display - only a tiny percentage were good enough to be used, and it was also a really skilled job to ensure they came into bloom at the right time. Everything was grown in pots, so that watering, feeding, light and temperature could be carefully manipulated to bring plants into flower at the perfect moment. For one small display, it took a team of 4 people working full time for several months!

So if you are really specific about your requirements, then I'd say no, it's definitely not worth doing! It won't save you any money, it would be a lot of stress and hassle and it might not work out at the end (e.g. thunderstorm, unseasonal temperatures, plant disease could wreck everything)

On the other hand, if you just want nice displays of seasonal flowers, you aren't worried about specific types or colours and you are getting married at a time of year when lots of plants are in bloom, then it is doable. As long as you have lots of plants in your garden that bloom around the time of your wedding, you should have enough to make your bouquets.

Another option might be to get a florist to provide bouquets and buttonholes etc for the wedding party, and then you can decorate the ceremony and reception venues with your homegrown flowers.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics