Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

spikeygoodness
Beginner

Friday vs Sunday wedding

spikeygoodness, 24 of August of 2010 at 19:55 Posted on Planning 0 23

I was wondering if anyone knew whether there were any drawbacks to having a wedding on a Sunday vs a Friday? The OH is keener on a Sun, and I have no real preference. (Saturdays are probably out as we're looking to get married in a year or so, and everything in Aug on a Sat is snapped up already!) I was wondering whether photographers or similar might be less available, or more expensive on a non week day, or whether anyone had any other input?

Thanks in advance!

23 replies

Latest activity by MrsB_2_be, 25 of August of 2010 at 17:39
  • Bobbins30
    Beginner November 2010
    Bobbins30 ·
    • Hide content

I'd personally go for a Friday as even though people would have to take the day off work, they would have the weekend to relax afterwards. I think a lot of suppliers will offer a discount for either Fridays or Sundays

• Mrs Bass
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs Bass ·
    • Hide content

I would choose a Fri simply because you an make a weekend of it!

I was reading lornawilson2Bcarroll's report and she had a fri wedding and a BBQ on the sat which i thought sounded great!

plus as a guest i would prefer to take a day off work to go to wedding then to take a day off for a hangover!!! ?

• Kalie85
    Beginner
    Kalie85 ·
    • Hide content

We were having the same dilemma but chose a Friday mainly for the reasons already said. As most of out guests will have to travel, we thought people were more likely to take a Friday off and stay over night rather than take a Monday off, travel home and go back to work the next day.

• Mrs S*
    Beginner January 2010
    Mrs S* ·
    • Hide content

I would vote friday. I'm getting married on a wednesday i'm not the best person to ask!

• D
    Beginner
    darkivy ·
    • Hide content

Hi!

We're getting married on a Sunday, not intentional but I really wanted Halloween and thats just how it fell, but, all I have had from my Mum is how people won't stay late cos of work the next day, and colleagues complaining about having to work on the Monday with a hangover, so I would say if you have the choice go for a Friday!!

• kj82
    Beginner December 2010
    kj82 ·
    • Hide content

I'm getting married on a thursday, though it's the day before christmas eve so not sure if that helps!! I would say friday as long as the special people can get the day off work as some things will be cheaper. Wedding suppliers make weddings their business so availability shouldnt really be a problem i wouldnt have thought. You have the whole weekend to enjoy it and people wont have to get up for work the next day!

• greenleaf
    greenleaf ·
    • Hide content

I think in general suppliers tend to be cheaper on a friday than a sunday, I dont change my price but I know somethat do... Friday guests tend to stay longer than on sunday because of the times and work for guests but then it depends on the type of the guests that you are inviting.

Sundays tend to be a little more layed back in general through out the day.

• *Bea*
    Beginner October 2011
    *Bea* ·
    • Hide content

I think I would go for a Friday , as the others have said, people who count will take the day off and then have the rest of the weekend to relax. Plus even if people can't make the day time they are much more likely to come to an evening do on a Friday night, hope that helps Smiley smile

• VikingPrincess
    Beginner December 2011
    VikingPrincess ·
    • Hide content

I am getting married on a Friday and found a few suppliers even gave me discounts including venue! And guests don't have to go to work next day! But on the other hand Sundays would have been even cheaper! Photographer was oferring discount for Sun but we got it anyway because he also offers 10% for winter weddings.

• C
    Civil Ceremonies ·
    • Hide content

I would also prefer a Friday for all the reasons above unless it was the sunday before the August Bank Holiday in which case I would prefer that.

• A
    Atlantic Soul Showband ·
    • Hide content

Defo have it on the Fri instead of the Sun if you have a choice. As recently as 2 weeks ago we did a full weekend Thurs, Fri, Sat & Sun. The Sunday wedding was the quietest, with apologies from the bride, groom and family that a bus was coming at 11.30pm because everyone was working the next day. They all enjoyed it but they defo couldn't let their hair down due to having to be good/not drink so much so they could go to work the next day.

I would go for a Thurs, Fri or Sat

Hope this helps.

Best of luck

• KEBO Jewellery
    KEBO Jewellery ·
    • Hide content

If I was going to a wedding, I would prefer it to be on a Friday rather than a Sunday but that is purely so I would have the whole weekend to get over the hangover ?

• GeordieBarbie
    Beginner May 2010
    GeordieBarbie ·
    • Hide content

I disagree - as a guest i'd prefer a Sunday wedding as I won't need to use holiday to attend (unless I had to travel) but even then I would only need one day whereas a Friday would potentially need 2 days holiday for travel.

Yes people have work the next day but you can still have a full day and enjoy yourself and go to work the next day. At least with a Sunday guests have the option to take a days holiday or not.

• fizzypop
    Beginner July 2011
    fizzypop ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Exactly. We had to have a Sunday wedding as our venue was booked up for all Fridays, but I agree with GB. A couple of friends have been moaning about it, but they have been to two Friday weddings where they had to take the day off. With ours, they don't HAVE to take holiday if they don't want and it's a midnight finish anyways! Plus they have had 18 months notice to get used to the idea. And I've had no problem with suppliers. The only thing I've found is that Sunday is the most expensive day for a registrar in our area xx

• tmr1234
    Beginner June 2011
    tmr1234 ·
    • Hide content

We are having a sunday but we are only having a small wedding with no disco after personle chose

• GemmaLouise1986
    Beginner
    GemmaLouise1986 ·
    • Hide content

We're having a Sunday wedding as our venue has minimum numbers on a Fri and Sat and we want a small day do.

We've waited two years to get married to pick a bank holiday weekend so people can have the day off after the wedding!

• navychick
    Beginner August 2011
    navychick ·
    • Hide content

We're getting married on Sunday, 28th August 2011 - it's the BH weekend. We specifically chose that date because we have guests travelling from Scotland and Suffolk so they won't have to take an extra day off work as they will probably travel on the Saturday and then go back on the BH Monday. Also, the rates for our venue were actually cheaper for the Sunday than the Friday. All other rates for florists etc were the same as it would be if it was a weekday or a Saturday wedding.
    The only thing that is more expensive is the Registrar - we're paying just over £400, because;

a: They're coming to the venue, instead of us going to them
    b: It's a BH weekend / Sunday and the rates are more expensive - rates are cheaper though for a weekday wedding.

I think it would all depend on how far some of your guests have to travel - if they have far, and you get married on a Friday, then some of them may also have to take the Thursday off, whereas if you get married on a Sunday, it's just the Monday. If I were you, I would consider looking to see what BH Sundays are free during next year - a lot of people don't consider them and you may find they are still available.

• D
    Beginner October 2010
    drifter ·
    • Hide content

I think the choice between friday and a sunday is entirely up to you and what you feel suits you best.

We opted for a friday wedding as we knew those guests tha would need a day off would prefer to have wedding at the start rather than the end of the weekend (but that is our friends). I think the best thing for eiether a sunday or a friday wedding is to send save the dates as soon as possible to those people you really want to be there so they can plan it in if they need a day off.

Also when people do complain (and some will) remember just as many people work on Saturdasy there will always be someone that needs to take time off work for a wedding and all you can do is plan the day you want.

• N
    Beginner April 2011
    nat2683 ·
    • Hide content

Hi

I'm getting married on a Sat, but earlier on in the year to keep venue costs from going through the roof! If that is not an option and you def want a summer Wedding I personally prefer Sundays as this gives people the option about whether to stay overnight afterwards or not.

I think it also depends on who makes up the bulk of your guest list. If it is a lot of elderly relatives then a friday is not an issue for them but if you have lots of young professionals the sunday gives them the option of whether to stay over or leave slightly earlier.

If you do decide to go for a sunday you may want to start your ceremony a bit earlier e.g. the one I recently went to on a sunday had the ceremony at 1:30pm, so by the time we left at 10pm we felt like we had been there for a long day, whereas if the wedding starts and 3-4pm and guests have to leave at 10pm it may seem a bit rushed?

Whatever you decide to do your true friends and family that love you will not miss your big day for the world!

• B
    Beginner July 2010
    brideseekingblush ·
    • Hide content

We got married on a Sunday, but we got married in London, where the bulk of our guests were so they didn't need to take the day off, and didn't have a long way to travel home, so could stay in late. TBH I actually think Sunday is better for either - if your guests are close, they don't need to take a day off at all, and if your guests are coming from a long way away, they'd need to come up the day before, so they might end up having to take TWO Days off!

It depends - I don't like putting people out, so I'd feel a bit funny about asking them to take a day off, plus it was never really on the cards for us as OH has a small office and wanted them all to come, and they couldn't close the office. I have been to weddings on a Fri and not minded taking the leave though, so I guess it just depends. Registrars are more expensive on a Sun than a Fri by a couple of hundred quid I think. A lot of other suppliers have one rate for Sat, and one for Fri and Sun.

• CupcakeQueen
    Beginner January 2011
    CupcakeQueen ·
    • Hide content

Personally for me, if it was term time, I wouldnt be able to make a Friday wedding no matter how close a friend I was. So for me a Sunday would better although I would be aware of the fact I have work the next day.

• spikeygoodness
    Beginner
    spikeygoodness ·
    • Hide content

Thank you all loads for the replies - plenty to think about! If the only more expensive thing is the registrar, that's not too bad. I guess we'll wait until we find a venue and see what's available. Exciting times!

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

My daughter's wedding is on a Friday as they got quite a substantial discount from the venue and other suppliers and also a good deal on the accommodation. Most of their friends are quite happy to have a day off work or book a day's holiday but those who couldn't are coming straight from work as it's a 3pm wedding so they are just asking to finish a little bit earlier to get there for 6 ish which is when the food is planned for!

• MrsB_2_be
    Beginner August 2011
    MrsB_2_be ·
    • Hide content

We wanted a Friday because then people have the weekend to recover from the wedding and travel home but our venue didn't have any Fridays left so we've booked a Sunday instead. Everywhere I spoke to quoted the same price for a Friday and a Sunday so the price won't be any different x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics