Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Alex
Curious July 2024 Kent

Friday wedding?

Alex, 19 of July of 2023 at 14:25 Posted on Etiquette and Advice 0 15
We are looking at a possibly date for wedding Friday 12th July. The venue has a minimum of a 100 guests on a Saturday so Friday is the only option really if we want this venue (which we both really do). It’s prompted a discussion in the official at work though about Friday wedding with surprisingly strong opinions against. What everyone’s thoughts? We are mainly having family with the friends that are coming being more local than the family - some of which will be travelling from abroad, and the rest from the north (wedding in Kent). I’m now over analysing if a Friday is such a good idea as the office comments are the first negatives we have had

15 replies

Latest activity by Sarah, 26 of July of 2023 at 22:37
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

It really is a case of 'know your crowd'.

People who are travelling long distances are likely to be staying for a couple of days anyway, so I don't think a Friday will be an issue for them. For the rest of your guests, it really depends on their regular commitments (e.g. work, childcare) and how easy it is to get time off/arrange cover.

We got married on a Thursday, but the majority of our guests were either retired, self-employed or had jobs with very flexible working hours, so having a day off midweek was not an issue for any of them. And a Thursday worked better than a Saturday for several of our guests who usually work weekends (church ministers and musicians love being invited to weddings midweek because it's their less busy time!).

I would check with your key guests - those you can't imagine getting married without - if Friday works for them, and as long as it does, go ahead. Some people may not be able to manage a Friday, but some people might also not be able to manage Saturday either - you'll never get a date that works for everyone unless you are having an absolutely tiny wedding.

• Alex
    Curious July 2024 Kent
    Alex ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you, You are right - it hadn't really occurred to me that any of our key guests would have an issue, Save the dates will be going out immanently which gves people nearly a year's notice to get time off so hopefully it will be ok!

• S
    Rockstar July 2024 Cumbria
    Shay ·
    • Hide content
    Hello! I assume the office is Monday to Friday hence their opinion! These days most people don’t get a weekend off. Well I don’t! 😂😂 If I was invited to a wedding on a Monday I would not bat an eyelid. You do it how you want these days and those who want to be there will. As you’ve said above you are giving out your save the dates now so they’ll all have plenty of time. Enjoy!
  • Laura
    Curious November 2023 Warwickshire
    Laura ·
    • Hide content
    We’re having a Friday wedding. The only issue we’re facing is that some guests can’t book the time off for the day but would be able to make it for the evening. We’ve also got a minimum number of guests required 😭
  • Lauren
    Savvy September 2023 West Midlands
    Lauren ·
    • Hide content
    Hi, I'm getting married on a Friday in 6 weeks time, they only part is some people can't get time of work but that being said those that really cared once they received saved the date had already provisional booked the day off work we looked at a Saturday and hated the idea of "were only doing it so more could come" those that couldn't come in the day are either coming in the evening or are away anyway hope this helps xx
  • A
    Savvy June 2023 Essex
    Alison ·
    • Hide content

I think comments made about it being a Friday are a bit off to be honest. People get married on any day of the week now, depending on what is convenient to them, what the price differences are between different days and a variety of other reasons.. if this is because they are winging about soaring a day of holiday I wouldn't bother inviting them.

• Megan
    Savvy May 2023 Derbyshire
    Megan ·
    • Hide content
    We got married on a Friday and had no issues with guests! The way we see it is if we like someone enough to pay for them to attend our wedding they should like us enough to book a day off work for us - particularly with a long enough notice period to do so. Obviously teachers can struggle if it’s term time so something to bear in mind if you have teacher guests.

We have been to a lot of Friday weddings as well and actually like having a long weekend!
  • E
    Beginner July 2026 Hampshire
    Ella ·
    • Hide content
    We plan to get married on a Friday, and I was the only person worried about this! Everyone around me reassured me that If guests want to be there and you have given them plenty of notice, they will be there! So many people work Saturdays too now so either way, there will be people having to take time off work. People love the idea of a long weekend most of the time!
  • Katie
    Savvy September 2024 Middlesex
    Katie ·
    • Hide content

Your friends will think you are worth it and do what they can to be there. While this might not be a possibility for everybody, I see no issues. Plenty of notice and people will be there if they can.

• Alex
    Curious July 2024 Kent
    Alex ·
    • Hide content

Thank you everyone, we just booked our venue and date - Friday 12th July 2024!Smiley heart

• Leah
    Curious April 2024 Kent
    Leah ·
    • Hide content

I'm so glad you went ahead and booked! We chose a Thursday (in Kent) as the venue did not have any weekend availability all year, and we wanted that specific venue. In my opinion, if someone wants to be there - they will (obviously, if circumstances allow). You'll give people plenty of notice and, if you mean enough to be invited to my wedding, I hope I would be enough that someone would sacrifice a day or two annual leave.

• A
    Savvy June 2023 Essex
    Alison ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I absolutely agree Leah Smiley heart

• Laura
    Dedicated July 2023 Cambridgeshire
    Laura ·
    • Hide content
    I will take annual leave for a wedding if I want to be there, and I understand it can save a lot of money having it midweek at many venues. However if a few friends got married in the same year and I had to take a couple of days off for each that would be quite a chunk out of my leave allowance. I'm glad you've done what's best for you, but I think it's important to accept if people can't make it as a result.
  • Izzy
    Beginner September 2024 Nottinghamshire
    Izzy ·
    • Hide content

We're having a Sunday wedding so I completely understand!
    Our venue was booked up for Saturdays, but I would have personally preferred a Friday - my view is that if I'm travelling I'll probably be taking annual leave to attend a wedding anyway, so it doesn't make much difference. Particularly when it opens up other options for venue

• Sarah
    Rockstar August 2024 Warwickshire
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content
    I echo what everybody else has said. If people want to.. they will!

I’m getting married on a Thursday. Yes it means more annual leave or alternative arrangements people have to make but people get married all day of the week now and if they can’t or don’t want to come then, it’s their loss.. more buffet food for you!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics