Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

littleprincess30
Beginner August 2012

Friday weddings...anyone done it?

littleprincess30, 3 February, 2011 at 12:12 Posted on Planning 0 16

Hi all, newbie here!

so me and other half are getting married....very exciting but also im feeling stressed already!

OH has been married before, i havent so obviously i want the fairytale dream but the budget is probably not going to stretch to that!

i have decided i dont want a church wedding, but I want a lovely venue, and a lovely reception for around 50 guests in the day and 120 in the evening.

now the question is will i be better off having the wedding on a friday (and obviously risk some people not coming due to work ect) and save money and then have the things i really want, or do i go for the traditional saturday (which is what i want if im honest) but pay over the odds for venue!

im sort of leaning towards a friday but would like to hear from anyone that has had a friday wedding, and were you happy with your choice?

16 replies

Latest activity by *porsche*, 3 February, 2011 at 13:37
  • Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content

I am, not havign a friday wedding, but went ot my best mates ona friday last year and was lovley!! didnt mind taking a day off work esp on a friday and was nice to have the long weekend afterwards to recover and reminise!!

but i think you should have what YOU want, friday weddings are becoming increasingly popualr now so dont think theres too much in the prices?

• J
    Beginner November 2011
    JST ·
    • Hide content

I had a Friday wedding the first time around (shhhhhhhhhh we dont mention it lol) and it was fine. I just gave guests plenty of notice and they were all pleased to have Saturday and Sunday to recover.

Have you thought about something out of season? We are getting married in November and the cost really comes down from the summer months. Not sure what your budget is but we're having 60 day guests and 40 more for the evening, 4 course meal with wine, exclusive use of the venue, DJ, evening buffet, bridal suite and 2 further rooms for £3990. You can get even better deals if you look around.

Just a couple of ideas!

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

I'm having a Friday wedding - to be completely honest there isn't much we have saved on. Most suppliers now see Friday & Sunday as key days - it would be a Monday to Thursday that might attract discounts.

One benefit we have had is that we haven't had a "minimum numbers" requirement. Due to getting married in Peak season (August) most wanted us to have 75 sit down meals, which we didn't want. So it's allowed us to be more flexible, it also means that there is unlikely to be anyone using the venue the night before and we can set up Thursday night,

• littleprincess30
    Beginner August 2012
    littleprincess30 ·
    • Hide content

WOW JST! im impressed at how cheap you have got it for!

we were looking around july/august which i suppose is peak bloomin season! i think its because i would have liked some sunshine!

we are at the venue saturday for a walk around and pricing up so i think ill check out the difference for fridays and also for a later wedding.....ie oct/nov and see how the difference is.

i think once i have the venue booked i will be a lot less stressed! ?

• Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content

I got married on a Friday and found it great. I had family that came over from Spain & made a long weekend of it, I found the venue was cheaper and other suppliers.

We also had the Saturday to relax with family who stayed over before we went on Honeymoon on the Sunday.

• littleprincess30
    Beginner August 2012
    littleprincess30 ·
    • Hide content

Ohhhh thanks kayl, i had a feeling fridays wouldnt be much different! oh what to do!!

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

My daughter's is a Friday wedding and she saved around £1000 on the venue. We have only experienced a couple of people who couldn't make it because of work but they would have been travelling a long way which would have involved a possible 3 days each off work which is understandable. All of their friends are coming and are either taking a day's holiday or blagging a day off Smiley winking

• J
    Beginner November 2011
    JST ·
    • Hide content

It's a good price innit?! Mind you our guest list is busting at the seams and there's no chance we'll come in at 60! So I need to call them and see how much extra people will cost. Blimmin family!

Yes it's lovely booking the venue, you can really start organising things then. When are you thinking of, this year or next? Have you started the fun of dress shopping or anything?!

• littleprincess30
    Beginner August 2012
    littleprincess30 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks sherrie, yes i thought it would be nice to spend time with the family on the saturday also. as most of my OH's family are staying over as they live miles away, so we could plan something for the saturday, as we are not going on honeymoon (there is another cost saving idea of mine! we are going away for 4 days though but only to the place in yorkshire where he proposed!)

• littleprincess30
    Beginner August 2012
    littleprincess30 ·
    • Hide content

JST....we are planning on next year as I felt i could not organise it for this year in time, and a lot of the venues we like are booked up for this year.

not started dress shopping yet but once the venue is booked and i have a date thats on my to do list next! (although my mother is trying to sway me to wear her god damn awful 1960's wedding dress!)

i think JST i will hire you as wedding planner!!! tee hee!!

• videogal
    videogal ·
    • Hide content

Hi there and welcome to the forum.

I got married on a Friday ? most of our guests made it - with careful planning and sending out save the dates - your family and friends can keep the date reserved as a holiday. It worked for us and from what I see works for others - we've had lots of booking this year for Fridays as it's getting increasingly popular as venue demand is very high for top class/popular venues.

As for evening guests - they won't be too affected and they got a longer weekend to recover lol. It worked for us but there wasn't too much in the price to be honest. We got a better deal as we got married in February so it was out of season anyway so we didn't get the peak season price hike up! What venues do you have in mind and when in the year?

Tracey x

• littleprincess30
    Beginner August 2012
    littleprincess30 ·
    • Hide content

Hi tracey, we are going to orton hall hotel on saturday in peterborough (getting married there as thats where we met, and it holds nice memories) and did want july/august, but to be honest i think im going to have to move it later in 2012 as i think im going to have to book "out of season". I know what i want in my mind but its keeping costs down so i can have the day i want.

im not keen on a midweek wedding or a sunday so its friday or saturday really. is there really a lot of difference if you get married out of peak season or are we just talking pennies?

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

There is no longer "out of season" now as far as weddings go to be honest as people marry all year round. But there can be substantial savings made by marrying on days other than a Sat or Sun - as I mentioned in my post earlier, my daughter saved £1000 on the venue by marrying on a Friday as opposed to Saturday so it pays to look around.

• J
    Beginner November 2011
    JST ·
    • Hide content

Oooooooh where in Yorkshire did he propose?! Do tell us the proposal story, we all love a good one!

I'm in Yorkshire and I think we're going to a place called Humblebee Farm for our minimoon (money saving as ever). It's not exactly cheap but absolutely gorgeous:

www.humblebeefarm.co.uk

I think you're being very sensible doing in next year, it seems there is so much stuff to organise.

• SaSaSi
    Beginner July 2012
    SaSaSi ·
    • Hide content

?My cousin got married on a friday last year & everyone she asked was there - I think as longas people know in advance they can arrange themselves accordingly.

Loads of people work saturdays as well so I wouldnt be too worried about whether you go for a friday or sat - they are both party days!

• littleprincess30
    Beginner August 2012
    littleprincess30 ·
    • Hide content

He proposed whilst we were on a 4 day break in ribblesdale. we went to a log cabin, were in the hot tub and a ring in a box was floating by me! down on one knee in the hot tub (although i couldnt tell!!) and asked me to marry him!

obviously I said yes! it was -5 degrees outside and we were sat in a hot tub! very nice surprise though and very welcome and I think my parents are pleased im finally settling down!

• *porsche*
    Beginner January 2001
    *porsche* ·
    • Hide content

Hi LP,

We're having a Friday wedding and it's in term time, so we know a few people will not come because of that, but also hoping that a few will make a w-end of it and stay with us Fri/Sat/Sun.

It wasn't cheaper for us to book a Fri but it was one of the only days in the timeframe we had that the hotel could accommodate us.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics