Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

bliss_balloons

Friend doing a reading - should I buy a gift?

bliss_balloons , 18 of August of 2015 at 13:32 Posted on Planning 0 10

I feel like gifts could go on forever but I've been wondering if we should buy a gift for a friend who's doing a reading? Or is that one gift to far?

10 replies

Latest activity by PrettyFlower90, 19 of August of 2015 at 11:49
  • Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

I agree the gifts can be never ending. My first thought is hat a reading doesn't really need a gift just a thank you however then I think if someone has overcome their nerves etc maybe a bunch of flowers wouldn't hurt.

i am buying a gift for my witnesses but that's only because they are the only two people coming to Lapland with us. So they are much more than normal witnesses. Otherwise I wouldn't buy for witnesses.

Your bridesmaids and best man etc would normally do a lot more than what a witness or person doing a reading would.

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

My view is that gift giving has gone crazy and in some weddings it's taking over the speeches. A simple thank you for most helpers is enough!

• M
    Beginner May 2016
    MrsLBtoB ·
    • Hide content

If it helps, I'm not buying thank you's for the 2 witnesses or the 2 doing readings - to be honest hadn't actually even thought about it (until now that is haha)

• Cupcake26
    Beginner August 2015
    Cupcake26 ·
    • Hide content

I have Smiley smile

• hollyhollytree
    Beginner September 2016
    hollyhollytree ·
    • Hide content

I just think gift giving has gone way over the top! I would say no... x

• N
    Beginner January 2016
    NoMoore ·
    • Hide content

My dad is doing our reading, we are getting him a gift as he sent us some money to help with the wedding - but it's a bit different as he isn't giving me away. Long story.

The only gifts we are getting are bridesmaids and groomsmen (these will be given in the morning) and thank you flowers for the mums. There will be other thank yous given in the speech but no gifts.

• Nims
    Beginner July 2015
    Nims ·
    • Hide content

I gave my MOH and BMs a pandora charm.

Everyone else, who did a reading/job/witnesses we've sent a token gift with their thank you card... a copy of the Lovely Love Story book that we had as a reading.

• M
    Beginner September 2015
    MrsSDtobe ·
    • Hide content

I'm going to give them corsages to wear (they are both women), so it signifies them as being important, without getting gifts which I think is too much

• M
    Beginner September 2015
    MrsSDtobe ·
    • Hide content

I'm going to give them corsages to wear (they are both women), so it signifies them as being important, without getting gifts, which I think is too much

• PrettyFlower90
    Beginner July 2016
    PrettyFlower90 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I tend to agree with this, I think the whole gift giving can get out of hand.. My friend who got married recently was running around the night before buying thank you gifts for most of her suppliers etc, and at the end of the day she is already paying them for their job! A thank you card is sufficient after the wedding in my opinion if you feel you want to.

Gifts for family etc can go over the top too in my opinion, but maybe that's because I'm gonna have to give gifts to people at the wedding when no one has helped us really..? I dont see the point in saying thanks for the sake of it.. For a reading like this in this case, if you have asked them I would give a thank you card, and maybe chocolates depending on how much they wanted to do it etc (if they had to be persuaded or are shy etc). But as long as you do thank people, that's enough in my eyes.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics