Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Savvy May 2024 Bedfordshire

Friend issues and dress shopping

Sarah, 15 of October of 2023 at 18:02 Posted on Planning 0 5

Hi all,

So we are planning on eloping abroad and taking two friends with us, but now I am having second thoughts on my best friend who I've known for about 15 years. When I announced getting engaged she congratulated over text, and when we met up after I arrived back from holiday, there was no mention of it from her, no card, no gift, which my OH was really surprised at given she got me a birthday card and gift. I took her with me to the wedding show yesterday and she had no interest in anything, she was walking behind me most of the time texting other friends on her phone. Watching the catwalk she couldn't stop mocking all the dresses being shown. When I asked for her opinion on a wedding ring style, or dress at one of the stands, she just kept talking about what she would or wouldn't wear for her wedding (which she is merely fantasizing about yet talking about as though it is happening right now), and completely dismissed anything I said. We left after only being there for an hour and a half, as she kept acting like a child and I was totally fed up by that point.

When I mentioned that I had seen some dresses online and would be going to book appointments at boutiques for trying them on, she would say "yes you can try some on, but I am going to be getting fitted for wedding dresses and I want to take photos". I am totally surprised and upset by all of this, even after explaining to her that only the bride tries on these dresses and its about me as it's my wedding day, she still would go on about what she wants for her dream wedding!

I want to book some appointments soon, but now I am really afraid to invite her to come along as she would likely make it all about her, and not even give me an honest opinion on what I'm trying on. I have two other friends I was going to invite to come anyway, but do I just not invite her and not say anything, or try to talk to her (though it seems she generally does not listen or take on board anything I say). I don't want to upset her, but at the same time I don't want to take someone dress shopping with me if she is simply going to ruin it! I'm also having second thoughts on inviting to the wedding (we haven't formally invited her or the other person yet, she just made that assumption), because all I'm getting off her is that she "can't wait to take instagrammable photos"!

Any thoughts please, if anyone has been in a similar situation, really not sure what to do. Thanks x

5 replies

Latest activity by SL WaltonJones, 18 of October of 2023 at 12:19
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

It sounds as if she's maybe struggling with you planning your wedding 'for real' while she is still waiting (I'm assuming she's not engaged yet). I'd probably leave her out of future dress shopping as she sounds as if she is going to make it about her continually and you may also find her posting photos online since she seems so instagram-obsessed. As to whether or not you invite her to the wedding, I guess that depends on how annoyed you will be if she shares photos of your wedding online, because it sounds as if she would do this whether you want her to or not!

• S
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That could be (so she isn't even in a relationship and always tells me how happy she is and isn't looking to be in a relationship yet), but she tells me how she wants to be there for me on my big day, and then everything she does suggests the opposite. Yes that's true, and my OH is also telling me not to take her dress shopping to not ruin it and make it awkward with the people working there too. I didn't think of that actually but you're right she acts stubborn when it comes to these photos she takes, and the last thing I want is her in our photos doing that, and don't want to be arguing with her on that. It's a real shame I thought for one important part where I need my friends to be there, she is doing the total opposite.

• S
    Dedicated July 2024 West Midlands
    SL WaltonJones ·
    • Hide content
    I'm not even sure the bridal shop will let her try on dresses if she's not engaged! Also if you've booked the appointment you have a slot so they won't allow others to waste time. Good luck with it all, she doesn't sound like she's prioritising you at all!
  • S
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I didn't know that but thats reassuring to know, thanks! Yeahh it sucks but at least I can see this all now before we make any decisions!
  • S
    Dedicated July 2024 West Midlands
    SL WaltonJones ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Great thinking ❤️

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics