Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lisa
Beginner July 2025 Gloucestershire

From registry office to Catholic Church wedding

Lisa, 29 of June of 2024 at 12:20 Posted on Planning 0 1
Hi there, our wedding in in July 25 and we’ve booked our venue over a year ago to have the wedding “celebration” there as well as signing legal documents at the registry office a few days before. However I’m now having second thoughts and would really like the wedding at my local Catholic Church and just the wedding reception at the venue afterwards. Thing is I’m catholic but my fiancé isn’t any religion, how should I broach this with him? Also the church will be £1000 this seems so expensive has anyone paid similar??

1 replies

Latest activity by RomanticGreenStationery27135, 1 of July of 2024 at 09:58
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

Regarding the venue change, just talk to him about it. "Fiance, I've been thinking about our wedding, and I'd really like to have a church ceremony after all - how would you feel about that?" If he feels uncomfortable with having a religious ceremony when he is non-religious, then I think you need to respect that. You should also check with your priest to make sure he is happy to officiate at a wedding where one partner is non-religious - some will be and some won't.

The church costs seem high - is this a church you attend regularly? I know that with many Anglican churches, they charge high rates for people who are not church-goers, but just want a 'pretty church' for the photos, but tend to charge much less for those who are actually part of the church. So if you are a regular attender, it might be worth asking what the costs would be for you. I had friends who got married in their local Anglican church (where they were active members) and it cost them a fraction of what it would have been if they had just been picking it as a 'wedding venue'.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics