Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

J
Beginner February 2015

Fruit cake faux pas?

jemster, 26 of January of 2015 at 02:16 Posted on Planning 0 20

We're only having a 1 tier cake for 40 people and I just ordered a fruit cake. I've just read that hardly anyone has fruit cake these days - is that so?

I must admit I love a good iced, marzipan fruit cake! Ought I order something else as well? If I do it won't be specially made it will have to be shop bought but is it worth the extra cost?

20 replies

Latest activity by bliss_balloons , 27 of January of 2015 at 14:29
  • yorkshirekiwi
    Beginner August 2014
    yorkshirekiwi ·
    • Hide content

I love fruit cake too. Who cares what 'everyone else' has? if you like fruit cake, and it's what you want then it is what you should have.

• A
    Beginner September 2015
    almostmrsStimpson ·
    • Hide content

OHs parents are making our cake and while his mum is happy to do whatever, his dad is adamant he's making a 3 tier fruitcake.....We don't like fruitcakes but we want them to be involved somehow and this was their gift so we're having cupcakes as well x

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

It's certainly not a fauz pas it's just techniques and fashions for cakes have changed meaning people don't have to have the heavily iced fruit cake as of years gone by. Sponge cakes have become very popular with fancy wedding style icings of imense detail to character cakes that tell a story. Also so many don't like fruit cake or marzipan or royal icing. We have som many choices now that just means people can do whatever they want including wedding cakes made from wheels of cheese, or even pork pie towers. You have whatever you want as simple as that.

• Karen84
    Beginner July 2016
    Karen84 ·
    • Hide content

I agree with all of the posters above. If you want fruit cake then that's what you should have! I'm with you and absolutely love fruit cake, especially with the marzipan - although I can take or leave icing generally. We're having 3 tiers and a different flavour for each. If it was up to my OH though there wouldn't be any fruit cake, but I have firmly put my foot down on that!

• miss_winter14
    Beginner February 2014
    miss_winter14 ·
    • Hide content

You have what you want my lovely! just remember though, if anyone has a nut allergy and you only provide marzipan-ed fruit cake, that those guests will be unable to partake.

but honestly, have what YOU and h2b want! x

• Alisha.B
    Expert April 2022
    Alisha.B ·
    • Hide content

Personally I dislike fruitcake but ive never actually been served cake at a wedding... usually it just sits there during food then gets taken off, im struggling to recall a wedding where I even saw the couple cut it

we are having a simple small 2 tier chocolate cake, im going to make a point to cut it but not sure of it will end up getting served

• AnnaMolly
    Beginner October 2015
    AnnaMolly ·
    • Hide content

I thought fruit cake was traditionally the done thing. I hate fruit cake so I'm not having it, didn't realise this was the 'in' thing to do.

If you love fruit cake, have it! Some people may not like it but that's the case with anything. I wouldn't stress too much about it.

• Calella
    Beginner August 2016
    Calella ·
    • Hide content

We tasted a few flavours the other day and wanted to go for 3 tiers all different flavours, none of them fruitcake. When my mum found out she was gutted! Said it wasn't a wedding cake if it wasn't fruit.

It doesn't bother us, as long as it looks and tastes nice, we're happy. In my mind, cake is cake, I'll eat it regardless!

• S
    Beginner April 2015
    Spring Bride 85 ·
    • Hide content

I don't think it's a faux pas at all! In fact fruit cake is traditional.

We're not having one simply because we don't like it. If we're paying that much for the cake, we at least want to be able to eat it! However, we have been asked by several people if we are having fruit cake and saving the top tier. Answer? No! No tradition with the cake here!

• T
    Beginner September 2015
    tash&ste ·
    • Hide content

I love a good fruit cake! It's not to everyone's tastes, but you can't please everyone. Most of my family hate chocolate cake - I think they're insane!

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

I like fruit cake too. Was it traditional for weddings cos it keeps so long and so you can make it well in advance, freeze it etc? I should look that up. But yeah, have whatever you fancy.

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

There's loads of stories around wedding cake traditions. I do think a tradition for the UK at least was for the top layer to be saved, carefully wrapped, and stored until it was then used as the christening cake for the first born. The tradition of tiers meant the cakes had to be hard, hence royal icing and the old pillars and of course fruit cake - so it could all take it's own weight. Modern fashions and more icing options mean we now don't often have pillars preferring cakes to be stacked on top of each other with supports being put in the tiers and cake boards to stop them sinking into each other. Many people don't need the top layer for a christening cake - I certainly don't lol, and I can't actually remember the last wedding or christening cake that I had that was fruit.

I do like a good fruit cake - but for me that's no candy peel! Lots of plump fruit including cherries and apricots, and not too dark and deffo moist. Therte's nothing worse than a dry fruit cake especially when you do pay so much more for them. My fave fruit cake is one of Delia Smiths from her first Christmas book.

• J
    Beginner February 2015
    jemster ·
    • Hide content

Fantastic response both in volume and content! Thank you everyone.?

We having the cake from the Simply Delicious Cake Company in Ludlow. It's covered in plain white icing and I'm decorating it myself with toppers and sugar paste flowers. If we were having more tiers I'd definitely have a choice of sponge and possible a chocolate cake.

• CBeckford
    Rockstar July 2015
    CBeckford ·
    • Hide content

I don't think you've made a faux pas at all. If you like fruit cake, then I don't see why you shouldn't have one. We're having 3 different flavours including coffee and walnut (my fave) and carrot (OH's fave) I'd be quite happy to eat a whole tier if people don't like it!

x

• snow bride
    Beginner June 2016
    snow bride ·
    • Hide content

I can't stand fruit cake but it wouldn't bother me at all if that's what you served! :-)

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

Your wedding, your cake.

I personally find fruit cake either dry or too heavy. I also hate marzipan so not for me, especially with so many other options available nowadays, but you do what have what you like.

• bubblerawk
    Beginner July 2016
    bubblerawk ·
    • Hide content

Have what ever cake you want Smiley smile

we arent having fruit cake but me or OH dont like it.

• HelenSomerset
    Beginner September 2014
    HelenSomerset ·
    • Hide content

We had fruit cake and it went down very well, believe me! We did however get a couple of sponge bars from M&S as back up for those unable or did not like to eat fruit cake.

• F
    Beginner January 1999
    friskyfox88 ·
    • Hide content

I must admit that I do love a good fruit cake but now that people tend to go for sponge cake these days. Not sure where you're based or when you're getting married but a tea room in Stockport are running a competition to win a cake- it closes on Valentines day I think- https://www.facebook.com/Tearooms

• bliss_balloons
    bliss_balloons ·
    • Hide content

I can't stand fruit cake, but I never eat the cake at weddings anyway!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics