Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Jacqueline
Curious July 2021 Buckinghamshire

‘Frustrated’ Contract

Jacqueline, 7 of October of 2020 at 07:06 Posted on Planning 0 2
Like everyone else I’m sure, we had to postpone our September wedding until July next year due to coronavirus. We were happy to do this due to the current situation as we want everyone to be there, safe and to enjoy the day. Recently I’ve an email from our venue due to weddings being reduced to 15 until Spring next year to say they will contact couples to discuss future plans. I posed the question, what will happen if it’s still 15 come July when we have a guest list of 86 and we’ve contracted and paid for 75 guests? I was told we would have the option to postpone again to 2022 or marry on the day with 15 and have a first anniversary party the following year which would have to be one hell of a party as we’d be approximately £7000 in credit! To be honest I’m not keen on either option for a couple of reasons. We’re second time around in our 50’s and endless talk of weddings isn’t as exciting as it may have been in my 20’s, I just want to get on with it. We’ve already been together for 14 years and we just want to get on with it. My mum has dementia so we don’t have the luxury of time, we’re pushing it next year as to whether she’ll understand what’s going on. My mum’s also just been diagnosed with cancer so we’ve no way of knowing what the outcome of that will be. My family and friends live 200 miles away, popping back for an anniversary party isn’t that straight forward. Finally we don’t want to postpone again as we’ve already been through that once as our first venue sold up. Luckily we have insurance but they won’t pay out indefinitely. So my question is has anyone tried to argue for their contracted being frustrated? The CMA have set out new guidelines:- Those weddings after 30th September that are significantly impacted by the restrictions would also be considered to be “frustrated” contracts. This would be the case if, for example, a key part of the wedding such as the evening reception could not go ahead or you are only allowed much lower numbers.

If you choose to go ahead, the CMA suggest that, to avoid the risk of a breach of contract for the service not being supplied as contracted, businesses should offer a refund of the part of the service not supplied. This can be agreed between the parties.

I’m hoping things improve come next summer as I want to get married and don’t relish a confrontation with my venue but I’m curious to know if anyone has started/been through this process as I would prefer to get a refund rather than endlessly delay. Any thoughts?

2 replies

Latest activity by Ben, 7 of May of 2021 at 13:54
  • L
    Beginner July 2021 Greater Manchester
    Littlemisssunshine ·
    • Hide content
    I had the same worry but when we revisited our venue I asked the questions and was pleasantly reassured. They gave us the option to reduce our initial numbers to 30 now and increase if allowed at the time, or keep our original numbers and they would refund or it knock off the final bill if we aren’t allowed that many (hoping it will be far more than 15 by July!). They also offered us the option of small ceremony and big party at a later date but that’s not my ideal and like you I was worried about the money.
    They also said we could change to another date if we are not allowed as many as we book for, so we have some flexibility. Still awaiting the contract but happy to go ahead if all that is in place
  • J
    Beginner July 2021 Buckinghamshire
    Jacqueline ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi

Thanks for your reply. It’s so frustrating isn’t it? It sounds as if your venue is being a bit more flexible than mine, they’re not going to be giving any refunds. What part of the country are you in? Like you we are hoping that it’ll go ahead, we’re 10 July although I doubt we’ll be allowed 86 guests. I just can’t see the numbers being increased from 15 to say 100 within 3 1/2 months (April to July). Personally I’d be happy with 50, although whittling the numbers down will be tricky but we do have a number of guests from abroad and elderly guests or those with under lying health issues so the numbers should reduce naturally. At least at 50, we could spend the ‘credit’ for the 25 paid for upfront as we can add food courses, choose more expensive drinks, provide a free bar and I think you can have a decent party with 50. If we were both from this area I’d be happy to marry with 15 and have a renewal (for want of a better word) and lavish reception the following year but I wouldn’t be keen on asking my family to travel twice, pay for two nights in a hotel twice and I don’t want to pay for two lots of hairdressing/makeup not to mention maybe having to engage new suppliers because the original ones aren’t free for the second date. I don’t have an endless pot of money. Have you had people say that to you? It’s the love that counts not the size of the day. It infuriates me. Oddly enough they change their tune when I ask them for £20,000 upfront and tell them but you won’t be getting your special day any time soon, that date is on the never never and oh I may keep promising then moving the date and just to add to the fun every six months or so I’ll ask you for another £2000! They never seem to go for that and love goes out of the window when I start talking in terms of cold hard cash! Anyway enough ranting sorry. I just thought it may be helpful for people to know that there’s new regulations on ‘frustrated’ contracts and all may not be lost. So many young people don’t seem to have insurance which is utter madness to me, so a route to obtain a partial refund if necessary may be helpful. Fingers crossed things start to pick up come spring x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics