Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

I
Beginner August 2025 Nottinghamshire

Frustration in finding a venue?

Ivorywillow, 24 of June of 2024 at 09:26 Posted on Planning 0 2
Sorry I just needed to see if anyone else is feeling the same with trying to find a venue 😖

Out initial dream was to get married close to Edinburgh, as a place we both love and visit every year. We started looking in January but due to us living in the midlands, it's finding time to visit and finalise the venue. Our favourite has since come back and said the cost had gone up £2,5k and the only date available is now end of October. Ideally we would have liked September or August at a push.
I appreciate this is partly our fault but with a small number of guests 40ish, costs seem to be extortionate for what we wanted, it's also ruled alot of places our with minimum numbers on a Saturday. I don't want a midweek wedding.
So we have started looking closer to home which is proving just as difficult. My parents had initially said they'd pay towards the venue but due to my dad's health their budget may need to be reduced and it leaves more for us to pay which I totally don't mind just hadn't factored it in before.
However every time the wedding is mentioned I feel like they're pushing for it to be abroad. Something I totally don't want for a number of reasons which I have shared a number of times and now I just feel like giving up on trying to find somewhere.
Scotland they turned their nose up, it's too cold despite mum and sister never actually having been and dad only working up there.
Now it's closer to home it seems it's still just as expensive and now it's a case of "£7 venue hire seems excessive".
I don't think they realise how much things cost!! Sorry for the rant I'm just pretty down hearted about it all!

2 replies

Latest activity by Ivorywillow, 9 of July of 2024 at 08:06
  • S
    Dedicated March 2024 Hertfordshire
    SunnyPurpleFlowers85794 ·
    • Hide content
    Hello,
    I think the cost and complications of going back and forward to Edinburgh will actually add up! For tastings, walk arounds, wedding coordinator meetings and looking at how to decorate the venue. Have you thought about going a bit closer to home? Alternatively you could do the registry office thing in Edinburgh and have more of a fancy food & evening venue to get the cost down?
  • I
    Beginner August 2025 Nottinghamshire
    Ivorywillow ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you for responding!! We have looked closer to home and think we have maybe found the right venue!! But they're so slow at responding but want a deposit in 7 days!!

They also charge £675 for the cermony to be held there (legal or not) on top of venue hire and the registrar fee is £695 for the date available so I have been trying to look at alternatives like the registry office and church onsite to try bring costs down a little.
    I love the edinburgh Registrary office idea though thank you, and yes it's alot of back and forth so organising a whole wedding would be a nightmare with a baby in tow!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics