Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Houdini
Beginner August 2010

Full names or known by names on placecards?

Houdini, 19 of November of 2009 at 14:55 Posted on Planning 0 28

I know this is stoopid and one of them pointless things that really doesn't matter. I know that. And I know on the day I won't care, nor will anyone else. So am just after opinions.

But I have found place names I love and they are being printed too. I wanted everyone's 'proper' name on them (so the name matched the name on the invite iyswim?) but there are a couple of people who have always been known by a shortened version (Born a Deborah but has always been a Debbie) and then others who I have only ever known by a shortened version but wouldn't be a problem to call them their full name (a Phillip / Phill and Sam / Samuel). So do I just put the names on the cards that I know people as or make them suffer their proper names?! ?

BTW, I am utterly appalled at myself for this post and feel like a bridezilla for thinking this much about it! Truely. But I still feel too poo to make a decision and someone needs to give me a slap. ?

28 replies

Latest activity by Finesse (HIB), 21 of November of 2009 at 21:24
  • GeordieBarbie
    Beginner May 2010
    GeordieBarbie ·
    • Hide content

Known by names. Apart from anything, I know for a fact that D wouldn't let me put peoples full names on as he's Daniel but gets Dan (hates Daniel). Last year we went to a wedding of a best mate (Dan was usher) and he kept writing Daniel on everything - Dan went mad ?

Also, we have a friend called Ron who isn't called Ron at all (or anything like it - he's actually Ben!) but we've always known him as Ron - that's his name.

It will also say "Grandma", "Mam", "Dad", etc cos to me, that's their names ?

• Mitzi50
    Beginner June 2010
    Mitzi50 ·
    • Hide content

Im going for full names, we have done everything else with a formal approach so will do the same for the place name. Luckily we dont have any people coming what are know by anything different, just people who shorten, but thats only a few and they wont mind full names.

• Gillsy
    Beginner April 2010
    Gillsy ·
    • Hide content

Lol Rae the Bridezilla!!!!!

I also say, the names that you know the people by

• Houdini
    Beginner August 2010
    Houdini ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I know! I am quite ? by myself!

But I need opinions! Did really have to think, more than, twice whether or not to actually post this!

So I have both sides so far, that doesn't help! (But thanks anyway!!) ?

• Houdini
    Beginner August 2010
    Houdini ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My Nan's sister is actually called June but she has always been known as Pat - go figure!? Luckily she's only coming to the evening so I don't have to worry about what to call her on a place name!

• Mitzi50
    Beginner June 2010
    Mitzi50 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ha, my nan was evelyn but she was always known as Pat!!

• Keelz
    Beginner
    Keelz ·
    • Hide content

I agree with GeordieBarbie, we will be using Known by names aswell.

• ooh la la
    Beginner August 2013
    ooh la la ·
    • Hide content

Hmmm, tough one -

Depends if you want a more formal feel or a relaxed, informal feel.

I'd be tempted to have full names on the table plan, but then nick names / shortened names on the placecards - eg: "Margot Picklington" on the table plan, then Mags on the placecard....does that make sense?!

• Houdini
    Beginner August 2010
    Houdini ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah, that was the plan; to have full names on the table plan and then just first names on the place cards but its the formal / informal name thing I'm not sure about!

• GeordieBarbie
    Beginner May 2010
    GeordieBarbie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

But why be so formal on the table plan and not the name cards? The meal can still be formal without the stuffy formalness of writing out peoples full names because you think you should...?

Having went through the rants last year about why people who have never called him Daniel suddenly feel like they should, I have a lot of views on this subject! (He was registered Daniel but has never been called that by his parents)

Luckily, our registrar forms say you can use an "informal" name during the ceremony (other than the legal bits) which keeps Dan happy that he can be called his "real name". It will be strange when I have to say "Daniel" ?

• ooh la la
    Beginner August 2013
    ooh la la ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Um, it was just a suggestion ?

I for one dislike the formalities of some weddings, but I was just giving a suggestion.

• The Sock Chicken
    Beginner August 2010
    The Sock Chicken ·
    • Hide content

One thing I would be wary of is if you know them by a shortened name and then just assume they have the full name. The number of times people have assumed because my name is Vicki that I am really a Victoria is unbelievable!!!

• Houdini
    Beginner August 2010
    Houdini ·
    • Hide content

I was going to use full names on the table plan because I have 3 sarah's and 2 sam's going so more fomal only to distinguish between people.

• The Sock Chicken
    Beginner August 2010
    The Sock Chicken ·
    • Hide content

I have 3 Charlotte's and 2 Steve's, but they will just be Charlotte B, Charlotte I etc etc. Luckily none of them have the same initials! Also they will be sitting with their partners so should be able to tell which one they are on the table plan. But then our wedding is going to be a fairly laid back affair.

• Houdini
    Beginner August 2010
    Houdini ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

How frustrating for you! (That sounds sarcastic but I really do mean it must be frustrating!)

I definately know all the people whose shortened versions are not their proper names iyswim. Except for one; a Jo who is OH's cousins wife - I don't know if she's a Joanne / Joanna / Josephine etc... So am thinking known by names on place cards because of her!! ?

• Houdini
    Beginner August 2010
    Houdini ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Two of my Sarah's are married to brothers so both have the same name anyway! I don't suppose it really matters anyway for them then... Hmm... They can sit next to whichever brother they like I suppose!

• The Sock Chicken
    Beginner August 2010
    The Sock Chicken ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It is frustrating, but I've had so long of it now I've kind of got used to it. I think I get more frustrated by people who spell my name wrong!!

• ooh la la
    Beginner August 2013
    ooh la la ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Try having my last name ?

• Mitzi50
    Beginner June 2010
    Mitzi50 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Now that I can sympathise with!! I get maria, moyra, moira, maureen, Mayo, Mary you 'name'it, I get it!!! My pet hate is when people email me at Moya@..... and then start the email Dear Moira ?

• GeordieBarbie
    Beginner May 2010
    GeordieBarbie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I know - I was just reasoning for the other side ?

When you say "full names" on the table plan, are you meaning full names as in first name and surname or full first name...? i.e. Nicholas Smith is known as NIck - would you be outting Nick Smith on the table plan or Nicholas Smith?

Actually, after all that, I hadn't thought about what I would do for the table plan with regards to surnames! If I did, I would put "Nick Smith". I think though i'll stick with first name only and i'm sure my guests will work out where they're sitting when they see where they OH is sitting. And by that point, it ain't my problem - that's what I have ushers and bridesmaids ?

• Houdini
    Beginner August 2010
    Houdini ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is why I'm annoyed at myself for even thinking it! By that point, I won't care! ?

ETA: When I say full name I mean first and second name. That they're known by, I think!

• Broody_wife
    Beginner
    Broody_wife ·
    • Hide content

Can I just ask... if you only have first names then what happens if you have 4 peters, 3 laura's, 2 marys and a couple of stevens coming to your wedding?! lol Personnally i need both First and Last names on mine for this reason! x

• GeordieBarbie
    Beginner May 2010
    GeordieBarbie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

They should be able to work out which is there seat by their other halves names or they friends/families maybe...?

Now I'm off to see how many duplicates I have... ?

• fancyfree
    Beginner April 2010
    fancyfree ·
    • Hide content

Hmmm I have a similar dilemma.

I want to use given names, but seeing as we have about 6 Daves (!!) and 3 or 4 Gemmas (all with G) and Andrews I can't see a way round it. I don't want to have to have full names for only the Dave, Andrews and Gemmas, but I don't want everyone to have their full name.

Pah.

• Broody_wife
    Beginner
    Broody_wife ·
    • Hide content

Well you could maybe try and incorporate a pic of each person onto your seating plan... although i'm not sure how that would look ? then you also have all the trouble of trying to get pictures..... x

• GeordieBarbie
    Beginner May 2010
    GeordieBarbie ·
    • Hide content

Phew - just checked and I only have 2 duplicate names: 2 Richards, 1 of which I don't call Richard I call by his surname so that's what his name card will say. The other is 2 Gareths but both have other halves with different names so they should be able to work out they obviously should sit next to their wifeys ?

• Broody_wife
    Beginner
    Broody_wife ·
    • Hide content

Your lucky, i have 3 karens, 2 stevens,a couple of ross' and a few marys.....lol x

• BoroKate
    Beginner September 2010
    BoroKate ·
    • Hide content

Aarrgghh!!!

I'd never even thought of how complicated this could be. I think I'll have first name (shortened version if needed) and surname on the table plan and first name only on the place cards . . . I've just realised I don't actually know the surnames of a few people who are coming, how bad is that!

• Finesse (HIB)
    Finesse (HIB) ·
    • Hide content

Hi Guys

There isn't a right or wrong to this question. However, if you do have more than one person with the same name, either put the first letter of their surname or personally I prefer to have the whole name with surname just to stop confusion.

The main point I would like to make though is the name you have on the table plan, make sure you have the same name whether it is first or both, on the placecard. When setting up a venue, which either your venue will do or if you have an on the day co-ordinator they will do, it is a total NIGHTMARE to find that the placecards don't match the names onthe table plans. Don't use nicknames on the placecards only, they both have to match.

Ruth

x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics