Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sugarmouse
Beginner June 2008

Funeral announcement ettiquette (sensitive)

Sugarmouse, 7 of January of 2009 at 21:29 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 9

We're a bit stuck and google hasn't been much help this evening, so I though I'd ask on here as we want to get this sorted tonight if possible...

FIL sadly passed away a week back and now we're trying to work out the funeral arrangements. It's all a bit tricky as he wasn't religious yet wanted to be buried and so the logistics were a nightmare so now we are just having a memorial service in a couple of weeks.

Basically we want to send out a notification to family and friends by post (assuming email is an etiquette no no?) as this will avoid the phone ringing around the clock given the long delay between his death and the memorial service.

But this isn't usual to invite people as such in my experience of funerals, as they are generally announced in a newspaper column or notified by word of mouth. So I'm wondering if anyone has any experience of wording such a thing (or similar) or has an opinion on the following wording. We want it to be appropriate yet not overly formal and also not make any mistakes as a lot of the people will be older and so more au fait with etiquette than myself or my husband.

In a way it's becoming an invitation instead of a notifictaion, but I'm not sure if there' much we can do about that or whether that is an issue...

Dear XXX

A memorial service for X will be held on
Wed X Date at 3pm
at the Town Hall on X High Street.
Entrance is to the right hand side of Brasserie Gerrard (need this as the ground floor is now a restaurant)

In lieu of flowers it is requested that donations be made to the Alzheimers Society in X's memory. (not sure if this should be after parking or before?)

Parking is available in town close by behind the High Street Tesco or slightly further away near Waitose. (It's pay per hour (40p) parking so I wasn't sure whether to mention this?)

And then should we sign off the notification or not? EG from the X family

Also another issue. SIL wants RSVPs for catering - but I was under the impression funerals were not the sort of thing one RSVP'd to as such? How does one go about this?

9 replies

Latest activity by Sugarmouse, 8 of January of 2009 at 19:35
  • Ladelley
    Beginner August 2008
    Ladelley ·
    • Hide content

My experience is likely to be similar to yours so I can't help on that front, but I'm sorry to hear your FiL has passed away. ? I hope you all are doing ok.

I wouldn't dream of asking for RSVPs for a funeral, but someone at work died last week and we've been asked to indicate whether we're going so the family know how many to expect, so maybe it's done more here.

I'd put parking before the donations bit.

• Sugarmouse
    Beginner June 2008
    Sugarmouse ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Ladelley. Was expected, so although sad, it wasn't a shock as such. Yes, I'm firmly in the no RSVP camp as well, but SIL is a bit OTT at the best of times and so is keen for RSVPs as well as cocktail party stylee food (eek) rather than cups of tea and sandwiches. That's helpful to know you've had that experience, so maybe it's ok to pop a note about that on the bottom.

• M
    Beginner
    Mrs JMP ·
    • Hide content

I would split the calls between a few of you.

Have those nearest & dearest been informed.

As for catering - unless your planning on a big knees up afterwards, I would go for 3/4 of those who will tell you on the phone if they are going to attend.

They will find parking - or you can place a slip in the OofS with details.

At my Dad's , on the back of the OofS we just put, we would like to invite you back home for drinks in memory of JFK. & at the bottom we just put with love from Wife, Me, Sister, Uncle, Nana.

• C
    Beginner July 2008
    choicey ·
    • Hide content

Hi Sugamouse,

I am sorry for your loss.

I don't know if this will help, but usually in our family or amongst friends, we would contact one or two people and ask them to spread the word also if there is time an announcement in the newspaper. Or if you want to take advantage of anyone who says to you can they help in any way, ask them to make the 'phone calls for you.

I hope it goes well.

• Sugarmouse
    Beginner June 2008
    Sugarmouse ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the replies. That's really helpful. I'll suggest it to them all as getting a few people to phone around might be easier. Depends how SIL takes the idea in theory, as she's almost in wedding planning mode at the moment and it's a struggle to get her to tone down her ideas.

• pinkjay
    Beginner October 2007
    pinkjay ·
    • Hide content

Sorry to hear of your loss Sugarmouse ?

Personally IMO I wouldnt send an email or letters. I would get people to phone around and pass the details on, also put an insertion in the local paper for a few nights. This is what we done when mummy died in November.

Also remember that not a lot of people go afterwards for 'tea & sandwiches' as would be at the service. We catered for 50 people at mummys even though the church was packed and that was just a nice amount of food for the people who stayed afterwards.

I would say your SIL seems to be in a bit of shock/grief (obv) at the moment and this is her way of dealing with it?

HTH ?

• Sugarmouse
    Beginner June 2008
    Sugarmouse ·
    • Hide content

Thanks starstruck that's really helpful, as it looks like a written notice is what we'll have to do, as people are coming from all over the place apparently and so will need directions and parking info etc.

It's difficult to know what to say to a small child isn't it. R is only 2 so not really aware of what's happening and I'm not sure how she'll go at the service...

• Sugarmouse
    Beginner June 2008
    Sugarmouse ·
    • Hide content

Yes light relief will certainly be provided on the day, whether wanted or not. Who's that man, what's he saying, what's that noise, why is grandma crying, that's a candle etc... I can hear her little voice already. Good idea re taking books etc. I think we'll find a sticker one to take along and keep her busy.

I agree with you re children knowing about death, and that they should be told and involved, specially when it's a close famiily member. But I think we might stay at the back of the gathering for the burial bit as I think that might give her nightmares.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics