Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner October 2010

Funny question re Strapless Dresses!!!!!!!!!

LISA221010, 5 of September of 2010 at 14:30 Posted on Planning 0 9

Hi ladies

Well its like this!!!!!!!!!!!

Went for my first try on of my actual dress yesterday and I absolutely love it to bits - gave me a lovely shape and Im really pleased and cant wait to wear.

Two little itsy bitsy concerns :-

1. It felt so tight - lady in shop said it relaxes when youve tried it a few times and it did feel better after fifteen minutes in it but what about when youve had some food - dont want to feel like Im bursting out of it!! Can anyone reassure me??!!

and secondly,

How can I put this - top of the dress from the back looked like I was slightly bulging over the top of the dress. Mum said it was my back bones and lady in shop said it can be slightly let out under the arms but not to worry and that it may have been cos I was wearing a strapless bra and next time to try without as the padding in the bra forces everything upwards and that the corset would hold me in.

Im sure everything will be OK but think pre-wedding jitters are making me panicky

Anybody else had these little worries when trying their dresses????

Thanks ladies!!

9 replies

Latest activity by LISA221010, 6 of September of 2010 at 21:24
  • Charlied
    Beginner October 2010
    Charlied ·
    • Hide content

I would try it on again with the correct underwear. I spent months trying my dress on without a bra (as I didnt seem to have a strapless one to fit me anymore) then I finally tried it on a few weeks ago with the bra I wanted to wear and the bloody thing was far too tight and didnt do up properly and the dress lady said she couldnt alter it until I lost more weight, which im still trying to do now. It might be fine with corset but best to try it ASAP.

• W
    Beginner March 2011
    wedhead ·
    • Hide content

I don't mean to offend anyone but unless you're super skinny most people have back fat and as wedding dresses with corsets tend to be pulled in tight it shows up, you probably wouldn't notice it in any other clothing! Now I'm not saying it's true in your case it may well be your backbones but I know it's true in my case, and the dress I tried on was a size too big! It's one of the reasons I decided to wear a bolero, as gorgeous as the dress looks from the front I would be paranoid about my back looking horrible all day!

Try it on with the underwear you want to wear and if you're still not happy think about covering it?

x

• L
    Beginner October 2010
    LISA221010 ·
    • Hide content

Yep I think youre right - got first fitting in two weeks so will try it then. Im also trying to lose a few more pounds too!! ?

• mrsjbw2b
    Beginner August 2010
    mrsjbw2b ·
    • Hide content

I had slight back fat , the dress maker let the dress out slightly, big mistake, after wearing my dress for an hour or so , the material seemed to relax and i spent the rest of the day hitching my dress up. not a good look lol

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

I'm afraid I can't offer anything constructive but the whole back fat (and hoiking up of the frock at the frock at the front) are my huge pet hates about strapless dresses. They are very unforgiving, even if you're a skinny lass.

• Lynseys Designs
    Beginner
    Lynseys Designs ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I totally agree. Unless someone has zero fat and possibly even zero skin (lol) then back fat is just something that comes with corsets. It could be the dress was just too small for you and therefore the back fat was emphasized so was the dress the correct size for you? The sample dress made me back fat much worse than it was on the day as it was 2 sizes too small.

As for it being tight, again that's just corsets for you! I did get used to my dress a bit but it was always pretty tight but that's just part and parcel of having something which gives you a fantastic waist. If they weren't tight then they wouldn't stay up or pull girls in where they want to be pulled in.

No pain no gain as they say!

• L
    Beginner October 2010
    LISA221010 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks all - especially the advice re having your dress let out and having to hoik it up!! Will keep all comments in mind when I go for next fitting!!

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

I know what you mean - I once returned a ball gown to debenhams in near tears once my best mate pointed out the "back fat" issue!

I am thinking, with all those sparkles, and my veil, no one will even notice, nor care! Smiley smile

• Tiggytiger
    Beginner July 2011
    Tiggytiger ·
    • Hide content

Hiya

Well after reading all this Im in tears... of laughter and of dread..... I can imagine myself walking round hitching up... hoping that my boobs don't drop out whilst wondering if everyone elses thinks My back is fatter than I already think it is.

I love this site and you my fellow hitchers as you help me so much.... with so many things I never even thought hehe its daft I think i'm cracking up ... Maybe someone should write a book about getting married or maybe I should give up now lol

Thank you for cheering me up... Have had a pretty lousy day and this place always brings a smile to me face you guys rock xxxxx

I am sure you will look amazing lisa xxx

• L
    Beginner October 2010
    LISA221010 ·
    • Hide content

Im laughing at what youve put now!! When Ive read all the posts back it does sound so daft doesnt it!!! Think you could write a book - it would be brilliant!!!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics