Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner August 2013

Fusion Weddings

slightobsession, 16 of January of 2012 at 15:12 Posted on Planning 0 9

I have Indian heritage and would love to mix that in to my wedding. I'm thinking mostly jewel colours and perhaps some of the patterns on invites and placeholders etc, but what I would really love is a dress that reflected that. I've been googling but it seems that I'm either not doing it right or there just aren't any! I would prefer to keep it white...

Can anyone help me find an Indian inspired white wedding dress that won't cost the earth?

9 replies

Latest activity by ExpensiveGreenDecor43156, 10 of May of 2019 at 12:49
  • DarkMoomin
    Beginner June 2012
    DarkMoomin ·
    • Hide content

Hey, I just had a google and found this article:

http://desibridemagazine.com/profiles/blogs/brown-bride-white-dress-indian

love the 'off white eclair' dress.

They all appear to be from www.bargello.com not exactly cheap - but might be a startuing place, they do look to have a lot of work in them. and if you have a designer at least you might be able to track a smapled ress down?

HTH

• cookiekat
    Beginner August 2012
    cookiekat ·
    • Hide content

http://indiaweddingdesigns.blogspot.com/2008/10/bridal-style-indian-inspired-wedding.html

Are you going to get one made? Or are you hoping to find one?

• S
    Beginner August 2013
    slightobsession ·
    • Hide content

I was just hoping to find one really, I always thought that getting one made would be much more expensive? It is sort of a pie in the sky idea for me really, as I have a VERY limited budget, but in an ideal world I would love to at least nod towards my heritage!

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

I have seen some beautiful dresses in shop windows in Tooting. White ones but with a clear Indian 'heritage' to them. I can't really explain what it is, something about the detailing and sequins (god that sounds sooo tacky but is actually quite pretty in real life!!).

If you get an Indian seamstress to make one I bet it won't be all that expensive. Do you live anywhere near a large Asian population (Tooting, Southall, Leicester, Bradford etc)? Pop down and have a look in the shops maybe. Even with British seamstresses, people often say that having a dress made is cheaper than you might think. A typical wedding dress from a bridal boutique seems to cost around the £1000 mark plus you then have to get alterations done, so it could even work out cheaper to have one made for you.

Alternatively you could consider buying a 'plainer' white wedding dress and having embellishments put onto it.

Also we had Indian food at our wedding (I'm half-Indian, Mr J is white British) and it went down a treat!

• Soulmates
    Beginner August 2012
    Soulmates ·
    • Hide content

I think it's a lovely idea, how about a white sari? Or wearing an indian style veil with a simple white gown?

what sort of thing did you have in mind?

• S
    Beginner August 2013
    slightobsession ·
    • Hide content

I'm in very north Wales, which doesn't have what I would say was a large Indian population Smiley laugh

I do understand what you mean about sequins Smiley smile that's the sort of thing that I had in mind really - the detaily bits. I know there's a better word than detail... Embellishment?

I think that the reality is I am probably not going to be able to afford a really lovely dress like the ones people have been showing me. I think I could probably buy a simple one like you said and maybe decorate it? Or I don't know... I'm beginning to feel a bit disheartened about the whole thing. Everything is so expensive <sob>

• Soulmates
    Beginner August 2012
    Soulmates ·
    • Hide content

Something like this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/White-Designer-Wedding-Dress-Swarovski-Diamante-Asian-Fish-Tail-Lengha-Stunning-/120840481966?pt=UK_Wedding_Clothing&hash=item1c22a76cae#ht_1044wt_1270

I'd keep hunting, how about a shopping trip to an asian district and speak to a dressmaker there, you may be pleasantly surprised

• cookiekat
    Beginner August 2012
    cookiekat ·
    • Hide content

How about a long fitted wedding dress with minimal meringueness and then getting a long shawl like bit to chuck over one shoulder.

will go find a picture to explain my very bad description....

• cookiekat
    Beginner August 2012
    cookiekat ·
    • Hide content

Ok right hand side picture

or

• E
    ExpensiveGreenDecor43156 ·
    • Hide content

Desi Wedding Diaries are also available in Online.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics