Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Beginner April 2019

Fussy eater -arghh

H2b2013, 4 of June of 2013 at 21:16 Posted on Planning 0 19

Hi All, feeling a little worked up and needed some advice, particularly guidance on whether I am bring thoughtless, so hoping you can help!

My dad's girlfriend has advised us that she doesn't eat shellfish- totally fair enough accept that alot a people don't, but she also won't eat vegetables (with the one exception of potatoes), pork or cheese of eggs!! Note this is for no other reason than "I don't like it"-seriously what do you eat!

I'm a loss of how to proceed, and to be honest reluctant to make such an exception for someone when no one else will get a bespoke menu. The only reason why the food was even discussed is because I was excitedly telling Dad what we had planned. However, Dad has made a contribution to the wedding so I don't want to be thoughtless but I keep thinking how can you be so fussy/rude!! Personally if it were me I'd eat whatever I was given and fill up on bread and pud, I'd never dream of telling anyone that I can't eat this this and this with the expectation of them to approach the restaurant to find me bangers and mash or an equivalent!?

likewise other halves parents have no idea what the menu will be and if we change if for one should we also open this option us to those that have equally contributed?

Apologies if this doesn't read well, I'm on my phone but hoping it makes enough sense to provide some feedback and suggestions for next steps?! Many thanks all!

19 replies

Latest activity by Laura, 6 of February of 2023 at 16:31
  • loadsagifts
    Beginner January 2012
    loadsagifts ·
    • Hide content

What is your menu?

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

I'd just have the menu you want and get a special dish for Ms Fussy. They'll presumably be doing things like vegetarian options or nut-free ones, so see if they'll do something plain and veg-free for her.

I don't think that "not liking" something is really a valid dietary requirement. I hate mushrooms, but I never tell people this for formal events, because it's not an actual health or moral issue. I just pick them out if I have to. At my BiL's wedding, even though I specified no dietary requirements, because he knew about this he got the kitchen to make me a special dish - I was very touched that he remembered but felt bad that the kitchen staff had to go to extra effort just because I'm a bit fussy.

• S
    Beginner May 2014
    Sazzle85 ·
    • Hide content

Hmm...I too have been thinking about our menu options for the big day and was debating as to whether we go with what we like...or with what the majority would like! It is difficult, especially when it comes to fussy eaters! We would like beef for our meal, but know several of our guests don't like beef! However, it's our day and we are going with what we like and if our guests don't like it then they can fill up on the starter and dessert...and there is also a buffet in the evening! If all else fails, I'm sure they can buy a packet of crisps from the bar! You have got to remember its your day and you should have all the things you both like and no worry too much about what other people like! It's your wedding day and you who will be the ones who will remember it for the rest of your lives!

• flowersinherhair
    Beginner April 2014
    flowersinherhair ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It's one thing to accommodate people but when she is this fussy for no reason I'd tell her to put up and shut up. It would be different if she had allergies or something but she's just being awkward. Either that and tell her to pick what she wants and pay for it herself. If you can't face the confrontation simply say you can't afford to deviate from the menu or that the venue won't allow you to.

• T
    Beginner May 2014
    tictac.fairy ·
    • Hide content

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it, just go with what you want. I am a very fussy eater but I wouldn't ever expect anyone to make exceptions for me. My food issues, my problem Smiley smile

it's be different if she had an allergy or something, but I think it's unreasonable to expect you to sort out a special meal just because she doesn't like something.

• V
    Beginner August 2013
    Victoria030384 ·
    • Hide content

I too am a very fussy eater but have never been to a wedding and expected anyone to give me anything different than the rest of the guests! We are also having this problem. We both want lamb/beef but my parents keep complaining that we have about 10/120 guests who wont eat this. My response is just that we will have what we like best from our taster menu (afterall it is our day!) and if people don't eat it then they can have the vegetarian alternative! I refuse to pay the extra money per head for guests to have a choice and after seeing the chaos that this caused at my brother's wedding I would not even entertain doing this!

My advice would be to not even tell her and she will have no choice on the day! Alternatively tell her what the menu is and suggest she chooses between the meat and veggie options as these are the only choices available. Don't even suggest letting her choose her meal! If she really complains you could say you would ask the venue to do her a plain version of what you are having (ie plain chicken breast and potatoes!)

• Childhood-Sweet<3
    Beginner July 2014
    Childhood-Sweet<3 ·
    • Hide content

I honestly wouldn't change the whole thing for her. She can just eat the things on the plate that she does like. We have 36 out of 100 that have actual dietary requirements as in - no meat/gluten/nuts/lactose. We are having 2 options on the menu. They will both be free of all of that and the potatoes/veg and sauces on the table to help themselves to.

• Icklefee
    Super May 2014
    Icklefee ·
    • Hide content

Seriously, I'd tell her to get a grip! I'm quite sure she is not going to starve. Will there be potatoes on her plate? or is the vegetarian option vegetable-less? Honestly, people like this really nark me. Tell her to stick a packet of rice cakes in her bag and give her an extra large slice of cake.

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content

We have one fussy eater and gave all our guests a choice of two simple (but lovely!) meals- fish and chips or steak and ale pie with mash.

Her RSVP came back with just Chips- problem averted...

• snow bride
    Beginner June 2016
    snow bride ·
    • Hide content

We're hoping to have a med grill. Peri Peri chicken, possibly a fish option and lots of grilled veg. All served with salad. Except my brother doesn't like chicken, or fish, only veg he likes are carrots and potatoes. Doesn't do salad either! UGH!!

And as typical my mum has said we need to cater for him (as they're helping). What does he eat I hear you ask? Burgers and Pizza. Ummmmm how about no??

• WickyWack
    Beginner July 2013
    WickyWack ·
    • Hide content

My granny decided none of the options on our menu were suitable as they were too creamy (we have a menu of three options for each course) so instead she has chosen (in the most basic format) -

Creamy pea and mint soup

Sausage and creamy mash

Apple pie with, yes you guessed it, cream!

?

• loadsagifts
    Beginner January 2012
    loadsagifts ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Snowbride, your menu sound lush.............can I have your brothers share!

• A
    Beginner December 2013
    Amaranth ·
    • Hide content

My mother is the world's pickiest eater; a few years ago, we made a list of the foods she'd willingly eat, and we literally didn't get into double digits. She'll eat steak provided it's sauceless, and she'll eat potatoes, so we're making sure there's a red meat dish that she can alter as she pleases.

We've gone out of our way to make sure that guests with legitimate dietary restrictions are catered for- my partner can't eat gluten or dairy, my best friend is vegan, my partner's family are Jewish so piggie products are out, and we've warned the venue 6 months in advance that they'll need to be accomodated.

I don't understand people who don't like vegetables. Vegetables are awesome! They're colourful and delicious and nutritious, and you can do all sorts of lovely things with them. Vegetables are the best.

• Andy_Magicman
    Andy_Magicman ·
    • Hide content

Are you giving your guests a choice at all? Often the guests will select there meal when they RSVP to the invite. If she is aware of what she is going to eat then she can grab a Burger King on the way if she is not going to eat much at the meal!

• Little Pixie
    Beginner September 2011
    Little Pixie ·
    • Hide content

Unless there are genuine allergies then I would tell her to get stuffed.

• H
    Beginner April 2019
    H2b2013 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks all for your replies. The menu is lobster and crayfish or asparagus and poached egg to start, pork tenderloin or onion tart think this has cheese in it though for main.

If there was a genuine I can't eat, it would be fine but to say no just because you don't like something and demand sinething else troubles me. I'd be more than happy to rearrange something if someone couldn't eat something, but she won't eat pork but does eat ham and bacon-errr hello??

Think you girls are right I'm going to go back and say you can have either above or the childrens menu ( which I offered before but doesn't eat fish and chips or pasta) and say please can you give the pork ago and if you don't like it, it does come with potatoes (and spinach-but I may not mention that?).

The problem continues into the evening with mini fish and chips and cheeseboard-ohhh noooo!!!

i will just have to say please feel free to bring some sandwiches or something to eat in the evening, but it's simply not possible to make such significant changes for one individual when there is no easy option to offer her.

I just know that she may sulk and huff quietly..not! Which will just frustrate me and possible leave dad feeling awkward and embarrassed. I may need to kindly drop in that the wedding and us getting married is the focus and if you will enjoy that more if you bring your own snacks then please feel welcome to do that.

thanks all though having a sounding board and excellent feedback is much appreciated-thanks!!

• mariannechuaphotography
    mariannechuaphotography ·
    • Hide content

Considering the fact that they're not allergies, just her being picky, I'd set whatever menu you like, put whatever you like in front of her and she can pick and choose what she eats on the plate, if she chooses to go hungry that's her choice as a grown woman. I'm Chinese, we don't deal in fussy eating!

• Laura
    Dedicated July 2023 Cambridgeshire
    Laura ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I don't think you will be able to cater to these dietary requirements, so I would stop discussing it

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics