Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner August 2025 Central & Glasgow

Future mil drama

Sarah, 16 of January of 2024 at 16:41 Posted on Planning 0 2
Looking for some advice on how to handle this situation. For reference myself and my partner have been engaged for 8 years, we originally planned to get married in 2017 but with the surprise arrival of our now 6 year old son we decided to postpone. Fast forward to 2023 and we set the date for next year (2025) we are super excited and the full family are all enjoying the build up to our big day. However last week my future MIL slipped into a conversation with my fiancé that she has decided to marry her short term partner (not even engaged) also next year and plans on doing so four weeks before our big day. I can’t help but feel upset because she knows how hard we’ve saved to have our special day and don’t understand why she wants to take the light away from her only sons wedding, she says they intend on going to the registry office so my thoughts are why can’t they just do that this year? The timing of when they plan on marrying just seems shady. Any advice would be appreciated.

2 replies

Latest activity by RomanticGreenStationery27135, 17 of January of 2024 at 21:03
  • I
    Dedicated August 2024 East London
    Ivana ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

Do you get along with your future mother-in-law? Are you willing to possibly create a problem out of this as she might get offended if you raise the subject and have a problem with it. Not saying that the situation is right, just trying to get a better understanding.

Have you got everything book for your wedding next year or just have a date in mind? If you have not booked your venue yet are you guys willing to move your date in case that your MIL does not want to? Have they got their ceremony booked for next year? Why did they choose exactly 4 weeks before your wedding? Will they be having a celebration or is it just going to be the ceremony in the registry office? Have you sat down with your fiance to discuss this situation and how both of you feel about it? I suggest disguising with your fiance and see how he also feels about it. Then definitely sit down with your future in laws and have a conversation about this. Ask nicely if they can possibly reschedule and have it earlier if they have not booked yet. If anything it will be more expensive to have it next year as prices go up each year. So if it is a big issues for both you and your fiance then do suggest again that they move up their ceremony.

• R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

Your MIL getting married a month before your own wedding shouldn't cause a problem at all. While the wedding tends to be all-consuming for the bride and groom for several weeks beforehand, for everyone else, it's pretty much just about the one day. Even if they are taking a honeymoon immediately after their own wedding, they should be back in plenty of time for yours.

I don't think there has to be any underhand reason at all for MIL getting married a month before you. But even if there is, the best thing to do is to ignore it. If she's getting married then for good reasons, then it would be rude to ask her to change the date. If she's doing it just to try to annoy you, why let her know she's succeeded?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics