Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

T
Beginner September 2023 Dorset

Future stepdaughter's role in wedding

Tess, 23 of September of 2023 at 16:10 Posted on Etiquette and Advice 0 4

Hi everyone,
I recently got engaged to my partner of three years. This will be my first marriage (at age 59!) and his second. My partner has a daughter, "Lucy" who is 20 and who asked him two years ago if she could be his "best man" if we got married. He said yes, of course. Lucy's his only kid (he was a single parent as his wife died when his daughter was five) and I can understand how he would want her to feel included. I have a pretty good relationship with Lucy, who is mostly away at college these days, and I get that I'm lucky to have a future stepdaughter who likes me enough to want to be in the wedding. I want to include her but since I won't be having a bridesmaids or a maid-of-honor I have a hard time envisioning the three of us being the focus during our vows. I'd really rather it be just be me and my fiancee standing before our officiant when it comes to the actual ceremony. Does anyone have ideas about how we can give Lucy some sort of elevated role, without creating the look and feel of a trio?

4 replies

Latest activity by Alex, 28 of September of 2023 at 06:33
  • H
    Expert November 2022 Lincolnshire
    Hayley ·
    • Hide content

At almost all weddings I've been to, bridesmaids/best men/etc. sit down during the actual ceremony so it's just the couple standing with the officiant. She could stand up with him before the ceremony and even whilst you are walking down the aisle, but then sit down at the front when all the guests sit down. She could also be one of your witnesses so she would be invited up to participate in the legal bit. You may choose to have readings during your ceremony so she could read one of those. Then during the reception she can give the "best man" speech.

• R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

I agree with Hayley. The best man usually stands with the groom until the bride arrives, and then either sits down or stands to one side. He then steps forward to hand over the rings and again for the signing of the register. He also usually gives a speech during the reception and is the groom's support and 'gofer' throughout the day. I've never seen a best man or bridesmaid who stayed standing right by the bride and groom throughout the ceremony, so Lucy taking on this role doesn't mean she will be standing up there with you.

As you're not having a bridesmaid, you could also put her in charge of holding your bouquet during the vows, so she has a role supporting both of you in the ceremony. That might be a nice way of symbolising her support of you joining her family.

• Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content

During the ceremony she will be seated like any other bridal party role, such as best man. maid of honour etc so you dont need to worry about her being stood there during the vows. Is not the same as my stepdaughter was only 8 but she walked me down the aisle my dad has passed away) nut it was a a symbol of us joining as a family. She also did a small reading about families coming together, so could Lucy maybe do one of these things? It was important for me to include her, but like you, i didn't want it to all be about her. As she is older and being her dads BM I think that is more than enough of a role in your day but a couple o other ideas if you wanted to include her more.

• T
    Beginner September 2023 Dorset
    Tess ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks, Charlotte. I like the idea of her doing a reading. I definitely want her to have an elevated role but prefer that it not be too prominent.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics