Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

SakuraYuna
Dedicated November 2016

Gap between wedding and honeymoon?

SakuraYuna, 23 of June of 2014 at 20:05 Posted on Planning 0 33

Hi just wanted a few opinions, would it be weird ot have a 5 month gap after the wedding before going on honeymoon?

Its because for our honeymoon we really want to go on a month long trip in the Spring. Originally we were thinking we'd get married right before going away, but I thought the venue gardens would look better in early October (pretty leaves!) as in March things might still be quite bare.

Also for our gift list I was thinking of setting up a buy our honeymoon type of thing where people can pay for us to od certian activities and having a gap would give me more time to organise this.

But I'm worried it'll seem weird to have such a gap? Plus we'd probably feel like we couldn't do nothing right away so may still also have a week away somewhere.... not sure what to do!

33 replies

Latest activity by cymruangel, 26 of June of 2014 at 12:04
  • SunnyOrangeFlowers21
    Beginner August 2014
    SunnyOrangeFlowers21 ·
    • Hide content

We were always going to have a gap but then our boiler needed replacing so it's going to be an even bigger one now!

We're having 3 days at Peckforton Castle after the wedding to recharge our batteries and have some us time. Then save save save.

• lottie.f
    Beginner July 2014
    lottie.f ·
    • Hide content

We have a three week gap and a friends wedding to go to before ours. Really don't think it matters how long the gap is, it will be nice for you to have that to look forward to once the wedding has passed x

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

We didn't go on honeymoon for 9 months after our wedding. We couldn't go immediately because I had an exam and was just settling into a new job, and then we had to wait a while longer for it to be the right season in Zanzibar, where we wanted to go.

We had a 2-night mini-moon straight after the wedding and then went back to work. The honeymoon was still awesome even though there was a big gap beforehand!

• Mrs Monkey
    Beginner July 2013
    Mrs Monkey ·
    • Hide content

We've been married nearly a year and still haven't been on honeymoon!

• RoseArcana
    RoseArcana ·
    • Hide content

We will be having about a week between all being well. I know of a couple that had their honeymoon 10 months after the wedding - they went on a safari so they wanted to save us properly and get the full experience.

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

If there's a big gap then couples often have a quick break and call that a mini-moon!

• Melancholie
    Beginner December 2014
    Melancholie ·
    • Hide content

We'll be having a gap. We get married on December 28th so there isn't time to get in the honeymoon before going back to work (I'm a teacher).

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

One of the resorts we went to in Zanzibar was virtually entirely full of honeymoon couples. We were far from the only ones who had a longer break before going away, it didn't feel weird. And we still got all the usual honeymoon perks everywhere we went!

• SakuraYuna
    Dedicated November 2016
    SakuraYuna ·
    • Hide content

Ah see I'm worried about people thinking its a bit weird to have such a gap and that makes it just a holiday....

If it helps we aren't booking a specific honeymoon package we are planning our own adventure, we might say to people we are on honeymoon but probably won't be in any honeymoon specific accomodation

• SakuraYuna
    Dedicated November 2016
    SakuraYuna ·
    • Hide content

I guess I just wanted to find out if it seemed normal or if people would think it was odd... especially if we were gonna suggest guests could pay towards it for our gift. Will they feel like they are just paying towards a holiday (a honeymoon being that bit more special so people would be more inclined to help with that)? Although I guess honeymoon or not technically it's still a holiday. I care what people think and don't want all my guests to think it is an odd thing to do Smiley tongue (although I know it doesn't matter what other people think really)

Ravioli - that mini moon sounds ace Smiley smile

Beginner March 2015
    *CrazyCatLady* ·
    • Hide content

We are going on our honeymoon the day after the wedding and a lot of people are telling me they think that is too soon!! Smiley smile so I think you can never win if you listen to other people. Do whatever makes you happy - having a break gives you something else to look forward to xxx

• X
    Beginner July 2018
    x-talie-x ·
    • Hide content

I think everybody varies - people get married in one month but their honeymoon destination may not have the best weather until 8 months later .. I don't think that makes it any less of a honeymoon! I think arranging a honeymoon and organising packing and everything that comes with going away on top of the wedding planning could make everything more stressful.. But going away for a lovely relaxing break straight after a stressful time of planning could also be wonderful. I think it depends where you want to go etc. Every wedding I have been to in the past 3/4 years they have had their honeymoon months after the wedding and they have all asked for gifts to be contribution towards honeymoon (because they had already set up home together etc) and I don't see a problem with contributing to a honeymoon even though it's months away. If you find your dream destination, why should you go there during a not so dream weather period and not make the most of it?

• Forever Wedding Dance
    Rockstar September 2013
    Forever Wedding Dance ·
    • Hide content

We go away next month after getting married last September so it will be 10 months for us. We are not 'calling it our honeymoon', it IS our honeymoon. We wanted to get married on our tenth anniversary but I work mostly term time so a long holiday in September was not practical plus what wanted to do (a Baltic cruise) is really only viable during summer months.

To be fair, we have had two 'mini moons' in the meantime but this is the big one that we have been building up to. We won't keep calling all our holidays honeymoons though lol, it was just that the first one was a weekend break straight after the wedding, so it was the one closest to the date and then we had a luxury lodge in the UK over the Christmas / New Year break which was our first opportunity for a longer trip (and was a very romantic location) but still in this country, and this one is the one we have been planning for ages. We know two other couples who have had / are having three separate trips and the concept of 'mini- midi- and maxi-moons' has become popular among our friends!

• Hoddy
    Beginner July 2014
    Hoddy ·
    • Hide content

We are going for a mini moon to Devon the day after our wedding. We plan on going to New York or somewhere else pretty special for our one year anniversary just to give us Something to look forward to next year.

• Hmcx
    Beginner July 2014
    Hmcx ·
    • Hide content

We are going away a week after the wedding it was booked before wedding and is with mil, fil, sil! her boyfriend both of us And our daughter! This is definitely not our honeymoon!!

our honeymoon will now take place next year! I don't care how long a gap it is, any money we are given as gifts will go towards it.

My friend honeymooned 14 months after her wedding. These days lots of people wait, some don't go at all. Whatever suits you is fine!!

• D
    Beginner April 2014
    DaisyDot ·
    • Hide content

We got married in April, and went on a week 'mini moon' in a luxury cabin thing near Leicester and don't go on our Honeymoon until September. I'm so glad we did this as I was on such a high, I didn't sleep for the first few nights then zonked out for the rest of the time, having a long haul flight/jet lag would have really messed me up further I reckon Smiley smile It gives you more time to plan your trip - I'm now in full throws of Japan research which I wouldn't have been able to do whilst planning the wedding too xx

• becca030713
    Beginner June 2014
    becca030713 ·
    • Hide content

We're getting married on Thursday, having a mini moon straight after (a long weekend away in England) then our honeymoon is just over 2 months later.

There were a few reasons for having a gap - it's cheaper to go after the school holidays are over, my DF is busy at work in the high summer months, it gave us time to save up more spending money and it gave us something to look forward to after our wedding (I've heard about the post wedding blues).

No one seems to think we're weird for it Smiley winking

• becca030713
    Beginner June 2014
    becca030713 ·
    • Hide content

I also think it lessens the pre wedding stress a bit too.

I have enough to sort out with out packing bags for weeks away and sorting kids, passports, travel insurance, airport runs etc.

• K
    Beginner August 2014
    KyleighB ·
    • Hide content

I'm getting married in August and our honeymoon isnt until March 2015! It falls just within the 6 months to make it a honeymoon for the travel agents but no matter when we went it would still be our honeymoon.

We couldnt go until then due to it being hurricane season in Antigua and stuff going on at home.

My mum and dad went on their honeymoon on their 5 year anniversary! They didnt go on their original honeymoon as the tour operator went bust and they lost all their money ☹️ so saved up and went all out with a months holiday in America!

• SakuraYuna
    Dedicated November 2016
    SakuraYuna ·
    • Hide content

Nice to know so many people have done a similar thing Smiley smile

I wonder if I'm being awkward insisting on going on honeymoon in march/april but we want to go to Japan (a country we both desperately want to visit) for a whole month and I wanted to see the cherry blossoms in bloom and see the takayama festival. Also I do kinda think if people might oay towards a hotel upgrade for example it may not be possible to organise last minute so having the gap would be helpful.

Not super set on early October really just was hoping to find a venue with a japanese garden and I think it'd look nicer with colourful leaves than possibly still being bare in march...

• D
    Beginner April 2014
    DaisyDot ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Another Japan honeymooner!! We're off in September I'm so excited - what's your itinerary??

• SakuraYuna
    Dedicated November 2016
    SakuraYuna ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Well I will admit I already have the whole thing planned but nothing booked as it isn't for a while! It was a trip we were hoping to take anyway but then got engaged and realised it was more perfect as a honeymoon for the perfect first adventure together as a married couple Smiley smile (i did like the idea of a luxury relaxing holiday, but our normal holidays are relaxing breaks so thought this differentiated it more).

The plan is to go to Hakone for a few days to see the lakes and Mt Fuji, then go to Sendai and travel around the north for a few days (I hear going to Nyuto Onsen is highly recommend but is quite far north), then to Osaka and Nara - originally we were gonna try to catch a sumo match but I don't think it'll work out time wise, to Miyajima Island, few days in Nagasaki, see Himeji on the way to Kyoto and spend a little while there, then see Kanazawa on the way to Takayama to see the festival, then final 5 days or so in Tokyo. All this we expect to take a month only a few days in each area unfortunately.

Originally I wanted to visit Yakushima and possibly Hokkaido and Okinawa, maybe even skiing somewhere (I would have loved to have gone to Nozawa Onsen - skiiing plus hot springs!), but really it'd be impossible to fit that in too! Also its quite long/expensive enough for us really....

What are your plans?

• CrazyRatLady
    Expert September 2014
    CrazyRatLady ·
    • Hide content

We don't even have a honeymoon planned so it will be one hell of a gap by the time we get round to it!

• LittleSnowflake
    Beginner January 2016
    LittleSnowflake ·
    • Hide content

We'll be having a gap as we'll need to save up again after our wedding.

• Shamy
    Beginner September 2014
    Shamy ·
    • Hide content

We are deliberately having a gap between the wedding and the honeymoon. We're moving house 2 weeks before the wedding so we feel like there is enough to do without researching and planning a Honeymoon as well. I hate packing at the best of times and I always, always forget something. The thought of moving/getting married/going away sounds exhausting to me! We haven't decided where to go yet so will enjoy having that to plan once the wedding is over. Also I will be absolutely knackered and won't enjoy being away if I'm too tired to explore the area. Friends of ours went on Honeymoon straight away and said they wished they had waited as they were exhausted.

As with all these things, do what makes you happy. I love the idea of leaving the reception and being whisked away on Honeymoon in a car with 'just married' written on the back, but in reality I was never going to leave my reception before my guests! I'll be the last one on the dance floor! I think that was more common in the days when the bride and groom lived apart and it was their first opportunity to spend quality time together.

• MrsSoonToBeD
    Beginner September 2016
    MrsSoonToBeD ·
    • Hide content

We plan on leaving a bit of a gap before going on our 'official honeymoon' :-)

With the expense of a wedding, we can't afford to go anywhere right away so will wait until everything is bought and paid for then see what we can do about going away! We do plan on a 'mini-moon' to the beautiful cabin we got engaged in near Suffolk :-) I also quite like the thought of having a bit of time between to settle back down as we are getting married in Scotland but live in Lincolnshire so it might be a bit hectic in the few weeks before! x

• cymruangel
    Beginner December 2014
    cymruangel ·
    • Hide content

We're having a gap too - we may have a mini moon. if my OH gets on with booking it, but our honeymoon won't be until April.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics