Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

cinnamon009
Beginner December 2014

Garter tossing?

cinnamon009, 11 of March of 2014 at 14:01 Posted on Planning 0 15

So was just spending my lunch hour browsing on etsy and noticed that the garters come in pairs - one for tossing. So I googled it and it seems to be an American tradition of 'tossing' one of the garters by the groom to the unmarried guys in the room. I have to say I haven't heard of it before so wondered if anyone in the UK is intending to do it?

15 replies

Latest activity by sophiesofa, 11 of March of 2014 at 15:33
  • AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

Definitely not! I am having a garter, but it's solely for the tradition of it, and no way am I throwing it to a random bunch of men - most of whom I know are slightly perverted!!!

• miss pickle
    Beginner June 2014
    miss pickle ·
    • Hide content

I'm having a garter but won't be tossing one, I personally think it is a bit of a tacky idea.

• Foo
    Beginner June 2014
    Foo ·
    • Hide content

Oh, grim. ?

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

Definitiely not. It's another Americanism creeping in and I don't like them Smiley winking

• miss pickle
    Beginner June 2014
    miss pickle ·
    • Hide content

I've never worn one before either but the one I bought from Etsy came with some double sided tape to stuff to keep it in place which sounds like a good idea as I was worried it would be falling down all day! ;-)

• W
    Beginner December 2014
    WinterBride14 ·
    • Hide content

I think i'm going to wear one but it certainly won't be taken off & thrown - I can't think of anything more cheap! If it doesnt stay up then it will be coming off & going into someone handbag, i don't want to be worrying that i'm going to trip up on it when it falls around my ankles. What a picture that paints! ?

• cinnamon009
    Beginner December 2014
    cinnamon009 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Phew. Thought it might be another one of those 'traditions' that everyone seems to know about but me. Like bead throwing at mardi gras.

I'll just be buying the one then and gluing it to my leg. ?

• ShropshireLass
    Beginner April 2014
    ShropshireLass ·
    • Hide content

I just spit my coffee out!! That's hilarious!!!!!

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

I find it a really odd thing to do.

I went to a wedding last year where the bride kind of pinged it to all the single men (like you would an elastic band). I've only got one to shut my mum up! She kept telling me I just have to have a garter!

• S
    Beginner April 2014
    sophiesofa ·
    • Hide content

Our Dj asked us if we'd like a song for the "teeth garter removing ceremony". Our response was "what? yuk. no".

He's also told us (we were a bit clueless so just generally went with all his suggestions) that he'll play 'all the single ladies' right at the end of the night and I have to throw my bouquet. I sort of love and hate the idea of throwing the bouquet - I just worry it's a bit me me me after a whole day of me me me. I also don't really have that many single women coming other than widowers, people who are divorced or teenagers. Are other people throwing the bouquet? I think I'll probably tell him to not have a song and I'll just do it if I feel like it at the time...

• kharding2014
    Beginner October 2014
    kharding2014 ·
    • Hide content

This entire thread made me chuckle-thanks ladies.

i hadn't even thought or wearing one but maybe now I'll look, although I won't be removing it mid isle or have it flung into a crowd of single men!

X

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

I'm not throwing my bouquet either - partly because it's going to be too pretty to be thrown away! Also, we don't have many single ladies coming!

• S
    Beginner April 2014
    sophiesofa ·
    • Hide content

J9 - nice to hear I'm not the only one.

my dress would have a bulge if I wore a garter so I don't get to wear one Smiley sad

That garter coming off down the isle is hilarious! My mum once went carol singing and a pair of pants fell out of her jumper sleeve - the vicar asked whose they were and she said they weren't hers! My friend went clubbing and the ties on the side of her knickers came undone so her pants fell down on the dancefloor! I love a good pants story!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics