Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner October 2025 North Yorkshire

General Public can access my wedding?

Siobhan, 25 of September of 2023 at 17:14 Posted on Planning 0 8
This might be a daft question but in my venues terms and conditions it states "neither you, nor *venue* is entitled to exclude members of the general public from attending unless the rooms maximum capacity has been reached" does this mean the exclusivity of the venue isn't actually exclusive?

8 replies

Latest activity by PhotographybyBillHaddon, 7 of October of 2023 at 10:30
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

What kind of venue are we talking about?

I know you can't exclude anyone from a church wedding ceremony since it is classed as a 'public event'. But the likelihood of people turning up to watch who haven't been invited is pretty small.

• S
    Siobhan ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Its a privately owned Hall with a Chapel attached but we aren't using the Chapel, they only do events and you have to book all their rooms for your wedding or you can't have the venue so I assumed that would mean that the general public couldn't just turn up. I'm concerned about someone in particular showing up who isn't invited, I'd rather a ton of strangers show up than that person lol
  • H
    Expert November 2022 Lincolnshire
    Hayley ·
    • Hide content
    I believe you can't ban anyone from a legal ceremony because the registrar has to do the "does anyone know why these people can't marry" section.
  • S
    Siobhan ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ah I see so if anyone wants to object they can walk right in? Makes sense I suppose but not ideal when you have unstable ostracised relatives lol
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It might be worth raising your concern with the venue.

• Elliot
    Beginner June 2025 Neath Port Talbot
    Elliot ·
    • Hide content
    Realistically, this is the case for basically any venue anyway - because if people want to turn up, they will. It’s very unlikely the staff are going to be forcing people out of the venue and that would cause a scene anyway!

I don’t think this will be a problem in reality, but totally get why it would ring alarm bells!
  • G
    Beginner October 2014 Middlesex
    GeorgeMarian123 ·
    • Hide content

Whether or not the general public can access your wedding depends on various factors. Typically, weddings are private events, and only invited guests are expected to attend. However, if you are planning a public or open wedding ceremony, you should make that clear in your invitations or event announcements to ensure that people are aware they are welcome to attend. Keep in mind that privacy considerations and logistics may vary based on the venue and local regulations.

• PhotographybyBillHaddon
    Super January 3000 Leicestershire
    PhotographybyBillHaddon ·
    • Hide content

Its widely known that anyone can turn up to a Church - public event, venues however are limited to the amount of people that are allowed into to room as they have been assessed to be able to have a certain number of people, but it doesn't stop the determined who want to cause trouble from doing so I'm afraid, unless you have someone looking out for them at the venue gates and physically prevent them from entering the venue grounds / doorsSmiley surprise

If it helps - I have never seen it happen - after shooting over 1,000 weddings.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics