Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

bliss_balloons

Getting a ring dipped?

bliss_balloons , 14 of April of 2014 at 13:55 Posted on Planning 0 7

I'm going to be wearing my Gran's wedding ring but it's yellow gold, which won't go with my engagement ring so I want to get it dipped in rhodium. Any know anywhere that does this and how much it costs?

7 replies

Latest activity by LittleSnowflake, 14 of April of 2014 at 22:28
  • S
    Beginner July 2015
    suzannelewington ·
    • Hide content

I Have a white gold engagement ring as was told it would cost me £30 to get dipped at Beaverbrooks. My mum recently got a ring dipped at an independant jewellers and cost her £25 x

• LittleSnowflake
    Beginner January 2016
    LittleSnowflake ·
    • Hide content

I was quoted £25 to get one of my Nan's rings dipped in white gold. That's fine but it'll have to be re-done in 3/4 months time. So I didn't bother going a head with it.

• bliss_balloons
    bliss_balloons ·
    • Hide content

Thanks. Nat is that how often they have to be redone? My only other option would be to keep it as it is but I'd have to move my engagement ring to another finger and get it re sized because they'd look silly together.

• L
    Laura Radford Photography ·
    • Hide content

You can dip? Sorry to be of no use what so ever but this is amazing....i dodnt know you can do this?! Mmmmm....best to get something you'll like and wear Smiley winking

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

I wear my mum's wedding ring on my right hand. It's yellow gold. I also wear an emerald and diamond ring she loved also on my right hand. That too is yellow gold. I will always wear her wedding ring but sometimes change the other ring for a different one she had. On my left hand I have my ER and next year my WR both of which are platinum.

Is this set up not something you could consider rather than gettng her ring dipped? I wouldn't want to change how my mum's ring looked because it was her ring and how she loved it.

From the practical side of things - depending on the carat you might find dipping is even more trouble than you think. Higher carat gold is quite soft. Rhodium is brittle. When dipped it's a really fine layer that goes over. You could find that it chips easily or cracks if your ring comes under any pressure at all. Just a thought.

• bliss_balloons
    bliss_balloons ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Pammy. I really want my Gran's ring as my wedding ring because she wore it for over 60 years and it would be so much better than it just sitting in a box at my mums, plus it fits perfectly Smiley smile I think I'll check with a jeweler and see what they recommend (it's a very low carat 2.2). But I'm leaning towards moving my engagement ring to my right hand amd having the wedding ring on it's own. Then hopefully one day I will get an eternity ring to go with it Smiley smile

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think that sounds a nice option. At least taht way you're keepoing the ring as your Gran had it too. You could get it polished though to get a nice shine if you wanted, but there's history in that ring that every minute scratch and mark tells. I think it's lovely. And like you, that's why I wear my mum's ring. It's just a plain gold band, but it meant the world to her and I'd rather it was part of me than sat in a box.

• LittleSnowflake
    Beginner January 2016
    LittleSnowflake ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It may be different depending on the ring, but I had a gold twist style one with a cluster in the middle. I'd of loved to have dipped it but for me personally I wouldn't keep paying £25 every time, unless there was something else I could do that would last longer.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics