Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Getting hitched - Help!!

21 of July of 2015 at 11:47 Posted on Planning 0 12

Hi,

Thought I would introduce myself as I start to read the boards. I got engaged on Saturday, was a complete surprise to me. My fiance (LOL) spent all day on Sunday looking at venues - he wants to get married next summer which I have now found out is pretty soon in wedding planning terms!

I have no idea what I want at the moment, so just doing some research. The fiance was expecting me to have lots of plans in my head already I think! I suppose I never expected to get married so I haven't thought about it before.

We live in Bristol and are planning to get married around here somewhere, so if there are any other Bristol Brides would love to hear from you!

CB x

12 replies

Latest activity by HelenSomerset, 24 of July of 2015 at 18:24
  • daisymoo86
    Beginner July 2016
    daisymoo86 ·
    • Hide content

Not a Bristol bride but just wanted to say welcome and congratulations on your engagement. Looking forward to see your plans come together.

• T
    Thomassss ·
    • Hide content

Hello, you should check also here : http://www.wherewedding.co.uk/bristol/ , its a website where I have found my venue and it was really useful and I hope that it will help you too, good luck ! Smiley smile

• Arpee
    Beginner August 2016
    Arpee ·
    • Hide content

Hi CliftonBride! I'm just up the road in Gloucester and had an initial list of about 70 venues, in Gloucestershire, Bristol, Bath, Somerset, Wiltshire... What sort of place are you looking for, what sort of feel? I have lots of barn/rustic venues you could look at, but some city venues too.

I went to uni in Bristol, lived in Clifton and really miss it sometimes!

• F
    Beginner August 2016
    FutureMrsMarshall ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations! Don't worry, it would be good to be fairly decisive over the next few weeks, but don't stress too much about it! Some venues do book up fast but most of the ones we visited last month still had plenty of dates available next summer. I was also a bit overwhelmed when I started reading this forum and others, but then realised that there *might* be a little bit of selection bias going on here.... ? obviously, most people who actively post on a wedding planning forum are going to be super organised and do everything way in advance! That doesn't mean there aren't also loads of brides out there who plan their wedding in less than a year. My future sister in law for example had an 8 month engagement, and got married on a Saturday in April (not summer to be fair, but still a really popular month and exactly what she wanted!).

• Arpee
    Beginner August 2016
    Arpee ·
    • Hide content

Fabulous! I will give you a good list tomorrow, but the one that immediately springs to mind is Park Mill Farm just outside Wotton Under Edge in South Glos:

http://parkmillfarm.com/

http://parkmillfarm.com/downloads/Wedding-Flyer.pdf

For a weekend, it's £1500 which is an absolute bargain! That includes Cow Shed function room, a camping field, marquee, holiday cottage for you and your groom, plus other bits.

• F
    Beginner August 2016
    FutureMrsMarshall ·
    • Hide content

Definitely, when the venue is sorted that's the biggest thing out of the way and it becomes a bit more relaxed! Don't know how far you want to travel, but we've seen a few lovely places in about an hour radius from Bradford on Avon. Some that might be options for you:

Court Farm in Standerwick (http://www.courtfarmstanderwick.co.uk/) was lovely, they have converted the whole farm into a bunch of guest rooms and apartments, which looked amazing. The barn was nice although not very big and open on one side, but you can extend it with a marquee. One downside was that it's quite close to a busy road, which you can't see but you can hear it.

Church Farm in Kington Langley is just a massive field where you can put a marquee. It looked beautiful but you have to hire in everything, including toilets, a generator, etc. Lots of camping possible though! http://www.churchfarmuk.co.uk/

Wick Farm (http://wickfarmbath.co.uk/) we didn't visit but it was on my list before we found ours.

• Arpee
    Beginner August 2016
    Arpee ·
    • Hide content

Sorry for the delayed reply! I looked at Court Farm, as suggested by FutureMrsMarshall, but I know that one of the real brides on RockMyWedding has had issues with them since the new owners took over...

Other places I remember are:

Huntstile Organic Farm, Somerset
    Blackdown Events, Somerset
    Cowparsley Weddings, Somerset
    Old Oak Farm, Somerset
    H-Coo Events, Somerset
    Yurt Retreat, Somerset

I noticed you popped up on a thread about Somerset weddings, so I've just listed Somerset venues. I hope you find what you're looking for!

• MrsV-wasMissB
    Beginner August 2015
    MrsV-wasMissB ·
    • Hide content

Start with asking yourself... do you want a hotel? a stately home/hall? a church? a garden? a marquee? a village hall? This should help Smiley smile

• HelenSomerset
    Beginner September 2014
    HelenSomerset ·
    • Hide content

I would second the place near Wotton Under Edge that Arpee suggested. I am pretty sure this is where an old uni friend of mine had her reception (I didn't go) in a marquee as she is from WUE and I have to say her wedding photos looked gorgeous!

If you are not set on a farm or marquee affair, I would totally recommend my venue, Batch Country House Hotel in Lympsham but it sounds like you have your heart set on something different.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics