Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

K
Beginner November 2024 Co Antrim

Getting Married Abroad

Karrie, 21 of March of 2022 at 16:08 Posted on Honeymoons & Getting Married Abroad 0 2

Is there anyone out there who has opted for a wedding abroad over a UK wedding?
I'm asking because things as getting out of hand here in the UK. I got engaged in Nov and the moment we started to talk about it I told my parents we didn't want a church wedding. Its never been something that myself and my partner have though about. After discussing this with my parents nothing was said for a few days.
We were told do what you want its your day. So after a few days passed thinking that "they took that better than expected" my bubble burst and I received a TEXT (yes you read that right a text) to say that THEY had been talking and THEY would prefer if we got wed in a church. I was taken back and replied asking why they wouldn't talk to me about this? I got no response and it hasn't been mentioned since.
Then being courteous I asked if there was anyone they would like to invite thinking it would be one or two. I could cope with one or two that I don't know but not 10+ ?!
Myself and my partner will be paying for the wedding and have made no requests for help nor do we intend to.
Were now thinking of a wedding abroad but my family may not come because it its what they want or they're busy with the family business.
everyone says not to worry and do what we want for our wedding, any ideas/advise what do you think?

2 replies

Latest activity by Mariam, 2 of June of 2022 at 09:21
  • Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content
    As harsh as this sounds you have to stand your ground now! If you give in on one thing that then sadly gives parents the go ahead to demand all sorts. If I were you I would send a message stating you understand their feelings but as the said, it is your day so no you won't be marrying in a church and you hope they can respect your wishes for your wedding. Regards guest, I would say to them they have 2 spots so can they decide on the people they want from their original list and confirm names to you. If they offer to pay for .ote you have to politely decline, tell them it isn't about money but it is not what you want as you want your day to be with your closest friends and family. This is one reason we deliberately booked a venue with a lower capacity!

Going abroad may seem easier bit logistically it won't and it isn't really what you want so why should you compromise on your day? Why is it ok for you to be upset?
    I honestly wish you all the best, one bit of advice, don't discuss anything with them such as theme with etc, if they ask just say you want it to be a surprise to everyone, otherwise you will get opinions on everything, I speak from experience, and you do not need the stress
  • S
    Beginner June 2024 West Yorkshire
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content

I had this same issue. I had to stand my ground. We have now opted to marry abroad and are looking at Greece. On our return we are going to have a big celebration party where we will be having an open invitation for if people want to come or not and then we will be wearing our wedding clothes- 2 wears out of the dress- BINGO!- And have a slide show of our wedding pictures showing and we will be doing our speeches. Then it will just be a band, DJ and food with a bar that people jus pay for as they like.

We just have friends coming to the abroad part and then open invitation to the UK party afterwards.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics