Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

J
Beginner January 1999

Getting Married Abroad and Party back in the UK

Jessicakate, 25 of January of 2015 at 20:16 Posted on Planning 0 7

Hello Everyone!

So...

Thinking of having a wedding abroad as my family live in South Africa (this would be all my family) and then a small ceremony and party back in the UK for everyone else. I have no idea where to start...if this is even a good idea, so any advice, tips, ANYTHING you have to offer is greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

7 replies

Latest activity by sky52, 30 of January of 2015 at 11:41
  • E
    Beginner July 2016
    ExpensiveOrangeStationery250 ·
    • Hide content

Hi! I'm doing the same thing (not for family reasons- I just couldn't so the big white wedding thing in England, I'd have to be on horse tranquillisers for the week!) having a nice relaxed wedding in Italy with close family and friends, and then a party in the UK about two weeks after we're back from our honeymoon. It's 18 months away but we've got a lot done already. I'd say the starting point is to sort out the actual wedding venue and get a planner if you're able! Mine has already been so helpful, I feel completely comfortable giving him instruction and letting him sort things out! We then worked on the uk party, booked a venue, and now onto the invitations!

• pink & glitz
    Beginner August 2014
    pink & glitz ·
    • Hide content

That's what I done, we got married in Italy and took our closest family and friends. We then had an evening reception when we came home. We got more for our money as this included us all having a week's holiday together. Although still expensive it would have cost us a lot more to get married in Scotland. First thing I done was to book the wedding and hotel through a travel agent, got my documents sorted etc.... then started dress shopping, booked photographer, booked restaurant. Once that was done for going abroad we decided on a venue, numbers, date for our Scottish reception and that was it. Hope that helps x

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

It's in effect what we're doing. Wedding in Wales with close family and a couple of friends, then ten days latter a big knees up party for everyone back at home. It's not uncommon these days at all. it means you can wear all the gear again and relive your day to some degree. And everyone loves a fab party Smiley smile zx

• S
    Beginner May 2016
    Sparty ·
    • Hide content

I'm in this club too - wedding in Italy followed by a local knees up. I have a planner to help sort out the details for Italy but can't do anything til a bit later on this year so I am focusing on the UK arrangements at the moment.

If I were you, I would recruit a family member in South Africa to help coordinate things. Have you got someone you can trust to help you make arrangments?

• S
    Beginner July 2015
    suzannelewington ·
    • Hide content

This is what we are doing. We are getting married in July in Cyprus for family and close friends then having a big uk party when we get back 10 days later xx

• Lapland2015
    Beginner December 2015
    Lapland2015 ·
    • Hide content

I'm in the club too! Wedding in lapland uk party back home a month later. All I will say is keep to your plans! I have swayed from our ultra relaxed uk party and it started to become a full blown reception but I have pulled the reins back in thankfully!!

• terri_cramp
    Beginner May 2015
    terri_cramp ·
    • Hide content

Snap... Wedding in Antigua then party a month after. Good plan x

• S
    Beginner February 2015
    sky52 ·
    • Hide content

Me too, wedding abroad just the two of us. Smiley smile 15 days to go. I am so pleased we did it this way. Wedding planner sorted everything out over phone, and then when we get there. All we have to do is show up and then spend the next week having a lovely honeymoon. Cant wait Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics