Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

soontobehismrs
Beginner May 2014

Getting married abroad - parent's reactions?

soontobehismrs, 20 of May of 2012 at 16:02 Posted on Honeymoons & Getting Married Abroad 0 2

Hey ladies (& gents!)

I'm sorry if this doesn't make sense - it's all jumbled in my head and i'd love somebody elses opinion on it.

My fiance and I would love to get married abroad; a beach in Florida that's very special to us both. We pre-decided that talking to his parents would be more trouble than talking to mine. We had the 'talk' with his parents a couple of weeks ago, and they were absolutely delighted, as well as perfectly fine with our decision. We talked it through for a couple of hours, and we were all completely at peace with our decision. I stupidly put something on facebook about how chuffed we both were with how it all went, and my mum read it. She pretty much decided there and then that she wasn't happy with our idea, and it's gone downhill. Stupid thing is, 3 weeks before hand, it was a perfectly good idea and she liked it!!

What did everybody elses parents think? You should probably know that neither set of parents will be there, as mine can't fly, and my fiance's just won't fly - we're aware of that, and understand it. We're going to throw a huge party when we get back for everyone, so nobody will get left out.

Thanks!

2 replies

Latest activity by Selenalee69, 22 of May of 2012 at 16:15
  • Haylz16
    Beginner November 2012
    Haylz16 ·
    • Hide content

We're getting married in Vegas and had mixed reactions really. We always said that if we ever got married it would be in Vegas or somewhere else abroad. Neither of us are into the 'Big Day' fuss with loads of family that you haven't seen in years and with my family been so small it seemed pointless. Anyway even though we'd always said it don't think any of the family members thought we'd ever do it. We discussed it for a few weeks before booking with everyone so they were pre-warned. My parents - Mum loved the idea and couldn't wait but Dad was a bit apprehensive and thought it would be tacky. He changed his mind once we went through it with him and showed him the venue. His parents - Mum was onboard from the start and started pricing it up but Dad kept putting a downer on it saying it was too expensive and he doesn't like flying. However, both sets of parents are now booked. Both his brothers and mine think it's a fab idea but all have young families so won't be coming.

There has been a few disheartening comments made along the way from family members and friends, nothing nasty just things that put doubt in you head. However, when it came down to it I've just had to tell myself that it's our day no one elses and we should do it the way we want. xxxx

• K
    Beginner June 2012
    KirstyAnnHx ·
    • Hide content

Myself & my fiance have had huge problems with this sort of issue - We agreed to get married in Ibiza as we both love the island, it has lots of history for me, it's where we had our first ever holiday together, we didn't want to have to save for years as my partner is a soldier and off to a war zone in 3 months time - we wanted to be married before that, but still have a great day, so we decided to go abroad - it cuts the guestlist and quite a huge amount off of the budget.

My parents - happy as they could be, realise it's our wedding day and our choice, and they wouldn't miss it for the world. My mum even pointed out that she would be there whether she was happy about it being in Ibiza or not. It just so happens my parents love Ibiza as much as me & my mum has been a regular for the past 40 years!

His parents, completely different matter - we were asked why we couldn't just have a registry office quick thing and then a big 'do' in a local pub.. they then made promises to be there etc etc, decided they weren't coming, picked a huge argument over the most stupid reasons (none of which are actually valid or correct) and now are not coming for definate.

Not a great scenario - but perhaps better that it happened before the day as there was quite a bit of tension & that could have had a negative impact on our wedding day. At the end of it all, we are getting married, we did ask them and did want them to be there, not just for us but for them as well, because of us not changing our minds they have decided to cut all contact with us and our toddler daughter, which is pretty unfair considering they were wanting us to do what they wanted, cost us more money and not contribute in any sort of way.

The way I see it is we are getting married, in Ibiza, we have invited who we felt should and we wanted to be there (not other people's ideas of who should and shouldn't be invited) and we are going to have a great day - regardless of who is or isn't there. Yes, it is a shame and yes, it isn't ideal, but what can we do.

Life goes on! You should choose what's best for you & your future husband! Not what other people think you should do. Good luck!

• Selenalee69
    Beginner April 2013
    Selenalee69 ·
    • Hide content

Hi, You're mum's obviously just upset because of the way she found out -I'm sure she'll come round. We decided to do ours abroad for financial reasons and realised that probably both sets of parents wouldn't come . My parents are probably a little dissapointed,but understand our reasons and are very supportive and his parents don't seem bothered either way-none of them want to make the trip which is fine by us as we wanted something low key-neither of us is comfortable being the centre of attention! We will do the same and have a shindig on our return -I think you have to accept that whatever you do, someone will always be put out but at the end of the day, you have to do what you want -life is one big compromise,but I think your wedding day should be just for you ! x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics