Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

C
Beginner November 2013

getting married abroad...night do back home....speaches help please

cath4512, 14 February, 2013 at 17:14 Posted on Planning 0 7

Hi everyone

We are getting married in Jamaica in November just the two of us & are having an evening do back home afterwards. I want some speaches at the evening do to make it a bit more traditional, but who should give the speaches? The groom obviously & then I thought maybe my brother as my parents have passed away. I also want a first dance.

in what order would you do things? we are having a buffet for the food.

Should we tell people to arrive on time as we are having speaches etc. Its just that most people turn up later than the invitation says when its a night do.

Also, how to word the invitations is difficult as we will already be married.

Thanks girls Cath x

7 replies

Latest activity by cath4512, 17 February, 2013 at 15:15
  • 2b_MrsB
    Beginner June 2013
    2b_MrsB ·
    • Hide content

Hi Cath,

If its just the two of you when you have your ceremony in Jamaica then I'd say you party back home is still your wedding reception so I'd send out invitations for an evening reception.

Speeches could be done before the buffet and the last person can then declare the buffet open ?

L x

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content

We are doing a similiar thing so l am looking forward to reading your responses!

I think that the party should be exactly the way you and your OH want it to be especially as there are no hard and fast rules about them. My OH has been a best man twice and both times he found it hard to eat his food as the speeches were after the food. I have been to a few weddings where it was speeches then food and it seemed to work well. How about: speeches, food and then 1st dance? The 1st dance naturally kicks of the evening bit of dancing, drinking etc. Are you thinking of having a cake?

Funnily enough l received an invite today to a "wedding party" which l quite like. My friend is having a small wedding of about twenty people, going on honeymoon and then having a wedding party for everyone.

• C
    Beginner November 2013
    cath4512 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the replys.

i think we will do speaches, food then first dance. i just need to word the invitations so eople come on time.

I dont know if we are having a cake yet, might do a cupcake tower.

im going to have centre pieces for tables and confetti.

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

We did a similar thing, although we had a full wedding in Australia and a blessing followed by evening part at home. We did all the speeches in Oz, so we didn't actually do them again, although FIL did a short "speech" during the blessin ceremony at the church.

I've just found our invitations for the evening part which say:

"Following their wedding in Australia, Knees and Mr Knees, together with their parents, would like to invite......to an evening party to celebrate their marriage on ....at........"

Unless you put something about the speeches, first dance etc in the invitation, I think you're going to have to rely on word of mouth to ensure people are on time because you're right, people won't turn up on time.

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

Our invitation said it was a "reception to celebrate the wedding of C&J". We said people could arrive from 5pm but also popped in a brief running order, and said please note, we aim to kick off with the speeches at 6". Everyone except one latecomer was there and seated in time, and before that everyone was mingling outside in the sunshine with champers and canapes.

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

PS our running order was:

5-6pm guests arrive and are served champagne and canapes.

5.30 we arrived in style in our decorated van

6-6.30 speeches

6.30-7 cake cutting, mingling

7pm hog roast buffet served

8pm music and dancing start

In a separate room throughout the evening we had a video of the ceremony followed by a photo montage of the wedding playing on a projector screen on loop, so anyone could wander in and out and watch if they were interested. Somehow we managed to edit that and put it together in the 48 hrs we had between getting home and the reception!

• C
    Beginner November 2013
    cath4512 ·
    • Hide content

I appreciate all the replys & think I will add soething in the invite to state what time the speaches start. I think I want speaches forst, then food then first dance.

phew....thats one thing sorted lol Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics