Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Snowby
Beginner September 2013

Getting married at 3pm - a little worried about timings

Snowby, 17 of November of 2012 at 16:44 Posted on Planning 0 14

After an initial conversation with the wedding co-ordinator at our venue (we're getting married and having reception at the same place), we ideally wanted a 2pm ceremony. Unfortunately, 3pm was the last remaining time slot available with the registrar on our chosen date. We spoke to our venue again about this and they reassured us that the extra hour wouldn't be a problem and suggested the following timings:

3.00 Ceremony

3.30 Drinks/canapes/photographs

4.30/4.45 Wedding breakfast and speeches - aiming for ~7.00 finish (we'll be having around 60 day guests)

7.30-8.00 Evening guests arrive

I was happy with this until I mentioned it to our photographer who seemed a bit concerned that there'd only be around an hour for photos and suggested this might be a bit of a push.

Just looking for some advice/reassurance really from people who've had/are having similar timings. I guess my main questions/worries are:

1) Is the amount of time suggested for photographs really going to be problem? If it makes any difference, I can't imagine we're going to want a great number of posed group shots.

2) If we really do need to allow more time for photographs and have to push the wedding breakfast back further, we might run the risk of evening guests beginning to arrive while the meal/speeches are being finished.

3) What are your thoughts on when food should be served during the evening? Obviously, our day guests will have eaten quite late but if we wait until they feel ready to eat again then the evening guests might be starving!

A longer post than I'd intended so thank you if you've made it to the end ?

14 replies

Latest activity by rubyfirecracker, 18 of November of 2012 at 01:03
  • MissPanda
    Beginner March 2012
    MissPanda ·
    • Hide content

1. We had an hour for photos - and it was plenty of time. We had about 10 different group shots, and the thing that really helped this was our best man - he was fab and herded everyone around so quickly! I'd get a list done, give it to someone trustworthy with a loud voice and it should speed things up a lot! Our tog said it was one of the easiest group shoots she's done. We had about 45 day guests so not many less than you. We then spent the rest of the time with just couple shots - bridesmaid and best man came along to help with my train organisation. The only thing with your situation is that the tog himself has expressed concern - I think you might need to talk through what he thinks will take longer.

2. We had our evening reception in a different place so can't really help - are you having speeches first or last? Is it all meant to be in the same room?

3. We ate wedding breakfast at around 4 - 4:30, and then opened the evening buffet at 8.30/9. I don't remember feeling hungry or eating much myself haha, but both day guests and evening guests seemed happy with this timing. We had a few nibbles out during the evening anyway.

Hth!

• Snowby
    Beginner September 2013
    Snowby ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for your reply, Miss Panda.

I think the tog was concerned that it might be a push to get all the group shots we wanted done if people started wandering off. It's not a massive venue though so they won't be wandering far. I guess giving someone the job of 'herding' might help with this too.

Speeches will be after the meal. And yes, everything will be in the same room so I suppose we have to factor in a little extra time for clearing up too.

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

What time of year is the wedding?

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

Doh, should have seen your ticker.......

IMHO the timings seem fine.Unless you have given your tog the group photolist from hell??)

Peter

• B
    Beginner September 2012
    bia57 ·
    • Hide content

We also had a 3pm wedding, with ceremony and reception in the same place, and our timings were:

3.00 - ceremony

3.30 - drinks reception with music, and photos

5.50 - wedding breakfast

8.00 - evening reception

9.30 - evening buffet

I would consider allowing more time if your TOG has concerns as they know how long they need. We spent about an hour of the 2 hours having photos, and the rest of the time mingling with guests which was lovely bfore sitting down for the meal.

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

I agree with Peter. Unless you have a huge list of formals/group photos an hour should be fine providing things don't overrun earlier in the day. I think that's what photographers sometimes worry about as when things overrun, photos are always the first thing to be cut and we're expected to work miracles by venues/co-ordinators etc

When working out timings we generally follow the rule of allowing 2 minutes per formal pic and then at least 30 minutes for couples photos and alone time.

So when planning, if you can work to that and everything fits, i'd say you were fine Smiley smile

• Chris Giles Photography
    Chris Giles Photography ·
    • Hide content

You've had some fab advice already.

Here's how I usually 'see' that 1 hour.

You're married, you'll walk to the reception area, everyone will greet you, cuddle you and stuff. The tog will get this. That's 10-15 minutes gone.

So you're now down to 45 minutes.

Then, depending on the house rules you'll have confetti which needs organizing. Truth be told the best time to do confetti is when the guests start getting out their cameras to get a picture of you. This is the biggest time waster ever so as soon people start waving cameras it's time to look to the tog to organize a confetti throw and when they do you must help get the guests attention.

At this point get those formals done. Other than the group shot keep it frosty and tight with A and B list family. Every combination of aunt and uncle isn't needed and won't be missed. Make sure everyone knows on the invite to ask the tog if there are any particular photos they would like. That way the onus is on the guests to seek out the photos they want and takes the heat off you. The tog can then defer said photos to after the wedding breakfast when there is a natural lull.

How many formals you ultimately have will depend on the style of photography you want. Relaxed and informal? then keep the list neat. Yourself and the bridesmaids but not individually etc. The tog will also want 10 minutes with you too.

Here's the big ass caveats to the above....

1. How switched on your guests are will be paramount to how smoothly things go. I've done 14 formals in 25 minutes but on the flip side struggled to organize 10 in an hour (Scottish wedding, boys at the bar, wouldn't come until they'd got their drinks).

2. Most venues allow an over run of 30 minutes. It nearly always happens at every wedding.

An hour is tight though, so don't be late walking down the aisle. ?

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

then it can actually take 15 mins just walking around the lake.
    I also will be getting informal shots on the move.
    And Shots like this are not done quickly

Some venues I would love to spend all day with just the Bride and Groom so 1 hour is never enough if you only want fly on the wall kind of stuff then maybe,
    my weddings tend to be a mix informal candid and posed .
    If you want stuff like this then the only way is to allow time. Not all venues look like this but if yours is - you are gona need time
    Even this has has had time invested into it, it is not just a candid informal shot that it first looks like
    Somtimes the candid ones take more time than the groups
    If Im only given 1 hour I dont feel like ive done the venue justice.
    Yes you can do more shots later but by then everone has had "drinks" - ties are off, flowers are bruised, dress has been stood on, you get the idea, the very best time for photos is when everone is looking their best.
  • T
    Beginner May 2013
    TenzoSmith ·
    • Hide content

I've read all of the above...

We're getting married in a small venue with only 30 people (+5 kids) during the day. 3:30 ceremony and 10:30 kicking out time (it's a museum open the next day!).

Is this enough time? Surely the me + bridesmaid (only 1) shots can be done before? And surely the small number of people affects the time for a) photographs and b) eating time?

Ta muchly, L

• Hide content

And surely the small number of people affects the time for a) photographs and b) eating time?

Yes you are right about that, I sopse I was talking about weddings with 60+.

You may have to factor in other things here as it is a museum you will have to work around the general public which can be fun !

Just goes to show that every wedding is different and has different challenges for the photographer. I would of course take every opportunity to say that is just another reason to book a time served professional who has done it all before and will know what to expect before it happens

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I once spent 2 hours on the photography with the bride and groom and their only guests....2 of them.......It depends what the client wants, and they wanted loads of variety....it was great fun...

Tenzo,what is your timings for sitting down?

• Hide content

"I once spent 2 hours on the photography with the bride and groom and their only guests....2 of them.......It depends what the client wants, and they wanted loads of variety....it was great fun..."

Wow - lucky you.
    Do you see that when we photographers are given more time, we love it and can really go to town on our work and the bonus is that you are more relaxed which makes our job even easier.
    Some times the venue has their own agenda for the timings they give - museum closing, having to employ more staff to enable them turn the room around quicker
  • Snowby
    Beginner September 2013
    Snowby ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Wow, thank you all for your detailed replies. Certainly alot to think about. We've actually decided to have a run out to our venue for lunch tomorrow so I'm hopefully going to have another chat to them about it.

This won't be a problem from my side - may have to have a word with my H2B though! ?

• rubyfirecracker
    Beginner November 2013
    rubyfirecracker ·
    • Hide content

Well, we're getting married at 2pm but in a different venue to the reception, so our times areL

2 - ceremony/photos

3 - 345 - arrivals at reception venue

3.45/4 - afternoon tea and acoustic music

5 - evening guests arruve

530 = speeches

6/615 - food

730 - DJs and bands

We;re giving ouy guests afternoon tea * i.e a bit of scone and cake, just to keep them going as we expect most of our guests would be sensible enough to eat before a 2om wedding. If hey don't then tough ***.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics