Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

E
Beginner March 2018

Getting married before friend

ExpensiveRedCars840, 6 of May of 2017 at 20:23 Posted on Planning 0 9

I'm hoping I can get some advice. My other half and I have decided to get married next year. We have a date secured. We are currently keeping this on the downlow because my friend is getting married in two weeks and we have decided to wait until after to officially announce. My problem however, is I am bridesmaid for a friend who is getting married next year. We are three months before her. She's made several comments recently about people getting engaged after her but getting married before her (she got engaged in January 2016)

I'm anticipating her blowing a gasket when we announce our news. What are people's thoughts? Am I being a terrible friend?

9 replies

Latest activity by ExpensiveRedCars840, 24 of October of 2017 at 00:26
  • D
    Beginner September 2018
    DesertElopement ·
    • Hide content

Not being a bad friend at all. It isn't like you're stealing her thunder - it doesn't matter when people get married, most people just want their loved ones to be happy. If she does blow up - I would question her friendship and values. But I'm not your traditional bride Smiley smile

• DreamsComeTrue2015
    Beginner July 2017
    DreamsComeTrue2015 ·
    • Hide content

You're not being a terrible friend. If she goes mental then that's her problem not yours.

However at least you're prepared for it if it does happen. Just try and keep your cool and hopefully she'll either be totally fine or blow up then realise quickly what an overreaction that was.

• MetalBride
    Beginner April 2018
    MetalBride ·
    • Hide content

I am getting married after two friends who were engaged after me and before a friend who was engaged before me no one minds we just made sure we didn't clash. The only annoyance I'm suffering from is that one of the other grooms is having a stag do that's costing over £150 which is very expensive and we're trying to save for a wedding. But that's his brother's doing!

If she's a real friend she'll be happy for you, she doesn't have any right to be annoyed.

• E
    Beginner December 2017
    ExpensiveGreenCakes746 ·
    • Hide content

If she chooses to have a massive issue with you getting married before her, that's her problem. I don't think it's you being a terrible friend. However, if she's set her date and she is genuinely a close friend, then you should make a bit of an effort to ensure your date isn't so close to hers that it would cause issues. Also consult her re hen night dates etc. And perhaps tell her about your engagement before the rest of your friendship group.

As long as you're not intending on using the same venue as her, or her suppliers etc, I really don't see the issue!

If your friends are approx the same age as you chances are several of them are going to get married around the same time, and everyone has different engagement lengths, so this situation must be very common

• Mrs_Conduct
    Expert June 2017
    Mrs_Conduct ·
    • Hide content

My friend got engaged Oct 2015, and it getting married Aug 2017. I got engaged March 2016 and I'm getting married June 2017 - so I've done exactly the same!

Like you I was a little nervous but my friend actually laughed and said her and her fiance had a bet that we'd set a date for before them. We've planned little bits together and it's actually been very fun.

My only advice is not to take it to heart if she does get annoyed, or if she doesn't want to plan together or anything. I have two friends getting married this year; one I have done a lot of planning with, one hasn't really let me anywhere near.

Let us know how you get on Smiley smile xx

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

Of course you're not being a bad friend. Engagement isn't booking your turn. I agree with previous posts. If your friend has a problem with it give her a little time to realise she is over reacting.

• Dewan Demmer Photography
    Dewan Demmer Photography ·
    • Hide content

When we getting married my best man was overseas and was having trouble sorting out dates to arrive since his sister was also getting married around the same time. Being considerate we moved our wedding date closer to his sisters Wedding day , this did mean rescheduling all our plans and bookings.

This meant our Wedding day ended up being a Month before his sisters and all went well. However his sister came to the conclusion we had done this to upstage her Wedding day, which was the last thing that would ever occur to me.

I guess the point is, it is your day and make it the best day for you, if someone is going to get upset they will regardless what you do.

• millbankandkent
    millbankandkent ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

They are not much of a friend if you think they will get jealous of you. Friendships are about being supportive and encouraging others to prosper.

No two weddings are the same in my experience so they will have nothing to worry about.

Stick with the dates you want and have a super day.

• J
    Beginner September 2018
    JoAndRob2018 ·
    • Hide content

First post on here!

A friend of mine got married last year and scheduled it for August... the only problem was that his sister was getting married in December and had had it arranged for roughly 6 months longer than my friend. She took it really badly and there was a huge falling out where she threatened to not attend her own brother's wedding (sorry, I'm not trying to make you feel bad). Thankfully, their mother intervened and explained that in no way would it take away from her own wedding that her brother was getting married first. She came around in the end, attended the wedding and had a brilliant time. I'm sure her wedding was great too (I never went).

I supposed what I'm trying to say is, you know her best and know how she will respond. Maybe she will blow a gasket, but then come around and be happy for you. Maybe she will be fine. One thing's for sure, you are NOT being a terrible friend. Getting engaged first doesn't give anyone a monopoly on when other's should get married. I've attended the marriages of 3 best friends that were each two weeks apart, and each wedding was special and unique to the couple. If she does blow up explain that your wedding will in no way detract from hers - especially when they are so far apart. If anything, she's in the better position of having the big day to look forward to after all your excitement is over!

Sorry. That was rambling.

• E
    Beginner March 2018
    ExpensiveRedCars840 ·
    • Hide content

Hi everyone

Thank you all for your input. I know this was posted months ago but I wanted to fill you all in haha. When we got officially engaged my friend was slightly passive aggressive for a while. Made several comments like "I wish I could afford to get married so quickly" and "you must be loaded" *eye roll* but we're still friends and she's going on my hen do so all's well that ends well! Haha thank you all for your comments Smiley smile much appreciated

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics