Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner August 2018

Getting married in 4 weeks and just found out i'm 19 weeks pregnant

LuxuriousOrangeCakes868, 27 of July of 2017 at 16:50 Posted on Planning 0 4

I've been planning my wedding for the last 6 months.

I have not been planning on getting pregnant! However the pill failed me and i've just found out i'm 19 weeks pregnant, 4 weeks before i get married.

I'm 40 so this might be my one and only chance. My other half is delighted. I'm devastated. We had talked about having a family but i was desperate to be married first and enjoy just being us. I'm now dreading my wedding. I can't think of anything worse that being a fat, sober bride.

It's too late to cancel or postpone as we have people travelling quite a distance to be with us and we have spent alot of money.

My plan was to try and hide it from everyone including family until after the wedding. Three reasons. 1) If you tell people there is a bump they will look for it, find it and comment on it. 2) I want this wedding to be about us. Me and my husband, not the baby. There is all the time in the world for the baby to be the centre of attention. 3) If i have a glass of champagne i don't want people judging me and making comments and my mother will be the worst culprit, which will turn into a row and ruin my day.

I'm 19 weeks and not showing at all. I know no one can tell me how big i will be in another 4 weeks, but i'm looking for positive stories of compact pregnancies and discrete bumps. I'm hoping my plan A will work. My dress is being made for me and we have hatched a plan to try and disguise the bump. But i have to get my head around a plan B and that means telling people.

And above all else i need to try and find a way to not only find the motivation to finish the wedding plans (right now i really don't care as i feel like i'm going to have the worst day ever), but also find a way to be happy about this situation and try and enjoy it. For me and my husband to be, who is probably sick of finding me sat in tears everyday. I know that as soon as the wedding is over and we have told people i will be thrilled at this situation, but right now, i feel like booking a one way ticket to Mexico and coming back when its all over!

Help, motivation and kind words are required!

x

4 replies

Latest activity by Faruk, 23 of December of 2021 at 18:47
  • Bacchant
    Beginner June 2017
    Bacchant ·
    • Hide content

First off congratulations! Secondly, I can understand your worry about everything and how stressful two massive life things happening at once!!
    If you’re having your dress made then that is a bit help, as they should be able to hide/smooth it out a bit. Then I mean this in the nicest way possible, but with your age, people will (hopefully) think it’s not a bump, and are likely to assume it is a bit of a tum (which after the wedding you can be all ‘Surprise!! It was a baby not a chubbly lil tum’). My mum was 48 when she had me (44 when she had my sister), and she thought she was just gaining weight, she only found out because she had a blood test from a doctor as she thought she might have some illness. I was her 4th child, and she didn’t notice for 4 months that something was amiss, apparently after she found out it was obvious it was a baby bump. People see what they think they should see!!
    Then obviously I wouldn’t recommend drinking while pregnant (although I imagine a glass wouldn’t do much damage). However, could yyou conspire with the bar staff/venue to have some non-alcoholic Prosecco/wine on hand? And you order a wine and they just give you the non alcoholic one? I think that there is some alcohol in it, but very very low. Or if you have soft drinks say it’s so you can be sober and remember the day fully?? I must admit my evening reception went in a blur as I’d drunk so much!

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I have seen this on a few occasions and the bride and groom used the speeches to make the announcement to the whole family after keeping it a secret from even the parents, I was the only other person to know as I was given the "heads up to point the camera at Mum in particular for her reaction.

If you chose to also do this then it still means that the majority of the day will be focussed on the two of you as the speeches are at the end of the main part of the day and also it will then explain to people why you didn't seem to be drinking and why you are not going to be doing your normal somersaults on the dance floor.

• L
    Beginner June 2018
    Lilacbouquet ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations with the baby!

I would agree with all of the above, and announcing it at the speeches will make people doubley oooh after you and even bigger congratulations! You will still be the centre of attention but it will also give people more to gush over.

Cover your bump as much as you can so you still feel like you walking down the aisle, this means you could have one small drink afterwards before your meal and then go non-alcoholic afterwards with no-one tutting or you feeling guilty.

I think it sounds lovely.

• L
    Beginner August 2018
    LuxuriousOrangeCakes868 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone.

I'm feeling slightly better about it. Can't say excited...but accepting it.

Stopped crying all the time. But still in shock and planning to remain in denial as long as my bump will allow. On bump watch every day and with only 3 weeks to go, i think i am still in plan A zone, of hiding it and telling everyone when we are on honeymoon - via text! hehe!!

Midwife and nurses aren't worried about the odd glass of champagne and neither am I. I haven't really been drinking for the last 8 months anyway as i was trying to lose weight for the wedding, so people now know i'm a light weight and won't be expecting me to get sloshed.

Fingers crossed the bump will stay small.

x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics