Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

J
Beginner August 2016

Getting married in London but live in Ireland - how do we give notice???

Jum850, 24 of May of 2016 at 20:49 Posted on Planning 0 6

Hi all,

My fiance and I moved from London to Dublin three years ago. Being from London, we want to get married in London and our wedding is in three months.

Have seen that we need to be give notice in the borough that we are living in (having lived there for at least 7 days). Surely we can't be the first people to marry somewhere that they don't live?? Any ideas, advice or tips for how to go about this?

Thanks in advance

6 replies

Latest activity by Jum850, 25 of May of 2016 at 17:29
  • Karen84
    Beginner July 2016
    Karen84 ·
    • Hide content

I don't think there's any way around it, other than to both book for 8 days holiday here and be booked to give notice on the last day of your stay. It has to be done 28 days before your wedding date too, so if you're getting married in 3 months you will have to give notice within the next two months.

• daisymoo86
    Beginner July 2016
    daisymoo86 ·
    • Hide content

We live in one county, getting married in another.

We gave notice in the county where we live, who then notified the registrar of the county we are getting married in.

As Dublin is republic of Ireland rather than a part of the UK the rules may be different. I would advise ringing the registrar where you are getting married and see what they say.

• J
    Beginner August 2016
    Jum850 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for your reply.

I'd guessed that we would have to do that but i suppose I was a bit worried about what counts as proof or evidence. Submitting a letter from the person we're staying with, accommodation booking details or flight details doesn't actually prove we were in the country for the time period specified...what do you think?

Thanks again.

• J
    Beginner August 2016
    Jum850 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for your reply.

No, we can't give notice in Ireland.

Have had a couple of conversations with the registrar and Islington Town Hall, which have been unhelpful. The website is equally unhelpful, they must marry hundreds of couples in our position so why not just state exactly what we need to do?

Anyway, I'm sure I'll figure it out.

Thanks again Smiley smile

• Karen84
    Beginner July 2016
    Karen84 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Good point, I hadn't thought about what counts as evidence. You're right, seems silly when they must deal with countless people in the same position.

• G
    Beginner March 2016
    gemmaandchris ·
    • Hide content

Hi, we had to do this as we live in Scotland and got married in my hometown in England, and they consider you to be coming from 'abroad' in this situation

We had to bring along the proof of:

1. name and surname - passport
    2. date of birth - passport
    3. condition (marital status) - wasnt applicable to us as both never married/divorced
    4. place of residence
    5. nationality - passport

For the place of residence, we stayed with my mum for the 8 days prior. I just got her to write a letter stating that I had stayed with her for the dates and signed and dated - they were happy with this.

Hope this helps - I couldnt really find any information about this when we applied last summer!

• J
    Beginner August 2016
    Jum850 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks so much, really helpful. I can't believe how little information there is around on this! Anyway, best get to it! Thanks again.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics