Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Erin8
Beginner June 2014

Getting married with just the 2 of you?

Erin8, 7 of August of 2012 at 10:13 Posted on Planning 0 10

Hi everyone,

My fiancé and l got engaged a few weeks ago and we have been researching how and where to get married. The more we think about it the more we think the best suggestion is for us to get married with no guests for a variety of reasons. Maybe in Las Vegas (it would be fun!) or London (where we live).

I was wondering if anyone has had a wedding like this and if you had any tips you could share with us?

10 replies

Latest activity by Anna, 28 of September of 2020 at 18:40
  • HLT
    Beginner August 2012
    HLT ·
    • Hide content

It wouldn't be for me but when we met with our registrar she mentioned that many people pop in mid-week, and get married, and they pinch a couple of people off reception to be witnesses! I thought the idea of this, followed by a cheeky pub lunch on the way home sounded quite romantic!

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for your thoughts and ideas ladies! We were a bit hesitant at first but the more we think about it then it is probably the best solution for us. Vegas is still our favourite option so far. We would love to get married in London but then we would end back at debates about who to invite, why aren't we having a reception etc. We are probably going to have a party when we get back but something cheaper and more informal than a wedding. I need to get some research done this weekend when l am off work....

• K
    Beginner August 2012
    K8_2408 ·
    • Hide content

YeP, we're doing it just the two of us in Vegas. In about 17 days to be precise!

Although we love our families we felt it was better for us to do it the way we wanted. Selfish some may say but at the end of the day, if the bride & groom aren't happy then why bother doing it?! This way instead of making it about a day, we get a week out there (a few days before & then a few days aft for a mini moon). I can't tell you how pleasant it's been in the build up not having to worry about seating plans, centre pieces & bridesmaids woes.

If its what you truly want then do it, you'll hopefully only be doing this once & there is nothing worse then regrets.

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content

Oooh l am very jealous! How have you gone about planning it? Do you mind me asking where you are staying and where you are getting married? There are a number of reasons why we want to do this and the stress is one of them!

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

Myself and my partner will be doing this we think.

I'm probably a sentimental fool but feel that wedding dates should mean something rather than being picked out of thin air, so i'm insisting we marry on the date that we met. This date however falls mid-week during term time and wont be convenient for family and friends.

So what we're planning to do is do the official formal signy bit on our own on the thursday, and have the "wedding" itself on the Saturday.

I love the idea personally. I know it'll feel "proper" with just the two of us. Otherwise I think i'd feel like I was just going through the motions. But I am a weirdo, so maybe that's just me!

• bec84
    Beginner
    bec84 ·
    • Hide content

We didn't quite get married just the 2 of us, but we went abroad and only took my parents and OHs dad. Was ideal, loved every minute of it....was so relaxed and We both had such an amazing hassle free day xx

• K
    Beginner August 2012
    K8_2408 ·
    • Hide content

We're staying & getting married at the Bellagio, we feel it's very iconic of Vegas which is why we picked it but the choice of places to get married is so vast & something to suit all budgets. Chapels (not part of hotels) work out to be very cheap in comparison & you can still get get packages. We did look at Chapel of the Flowers which seems to be a popular chapel & it worked out to be a couple of hundred dollars but still had what we needed.

We went out to Vegas as it was my OH 30th & we did some planning while out there. It was actually quite good to see things in the flesh because I was so sure I wanted to get married outside at the Bellagio but seeing there chapels in the flesh changed my mind. Bellagio have been great, we just let them know what we want & they take care of it. Tbh, you could easily plan a wedding without leaving the house as anyone you contact in Vegas is very good at helping you via email.

We're staying in a Penthouse suite for 5 of the 7 nights & because of that we get the help of VIP services so if anything crops up that we need sorting, we email them & it gets done. We have splashed out quite a bit but we thought we're probably never stay in a suite again so let's do it the once for our wedding. We've got a great week planned with lots of other cool stuff to do aside from the wedding & it's still working out to be a hell of a lot cheaper then if we were going to do the more tradition UK wedding.

They'll be plenty of photos to show people when we get back & the ceremony will be streamed on the Internet so our families can still see us get married. I know that's not really the same for them but it's been the right decision for us to elope. We did start planning a UK wedding for next year but the expense started racking up & I jut didn't have an interest in half of it, just going through the motions of it. I totally lost my wedding mojo. We got engaged on our 3 1/2 year anniversary in Feb & will be getting married on our 4th anniversary. If you told me at the start of the year I would get engaged & married within 6 months in Vegas in 2012, I would never in a million years believed you!

A lot of OM I've spoken to have said that if they could do it all again, they would just do it the two of them. If it truly feels right to do then do it.

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for all of that information K8_2408! It is much appreciated and got me thinking. Funnily enough my fiance suggested staying at the Bellagio. I was thinking that might be too expensive but we have don't have many other expenses as it will be just the 2 of us and you only do it once... We have been to America a few times but never to Las Vegas, from what l have heard there is lots to see.

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Weddings are a personal thing and it's good you are doing things the way that you want to and feel right to you.

We were considering my birthday as that is the day we met but l am not sure if that month with work logisitically....

• S
    Beginner November 2025 Tyne & Wear
    Stacey ·
    • Hide content
    Me and my fiancee are seriously thinking of doing this but deffo be in england as fiancee wont fly or go on a boat

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics