Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Chidders
Beginner June 2012

Getting married-not where you live

Chidders, 17 February, 2011 at 13:04

Posted on Planning 41

Hi, I was wondering if their were any hitchers out there in a similar situation. We live in Bournemouth now and have done for 3 years, but we are getting married back 'home' in Shrewsbury. It is over 200 miles away and we go back every 6 weeks to visit family and friends. I just read some of these...

Hi,

I was wondering if their were any hitchers out there in a similar situation. We live in Bournemouth now and have done for 3 years, but we are getting married back 'home' in Shrewsbury. It is over 200 miles away and we go back every 6 weeks to visit family and friends. I just read some of these posts, and think I am going to find it really hard to source suppliers etc, with being there so little. Anyone else like this? xx

41 replies

• Chidders
    Beginner June 2012
    Chidders ·
    • Hide content

Right Norfolk people..........start you own blumin thread!!!!!!! ?

I am no way alone though, good good!!!

• bls14
    Beginner September 2011
    bls14 ·
    • Hide content

Hehe sorry Chudders!!! Norfolk thread here we come lol!

and no you're not alone, quite common it appears!

• H
    Beginner October 2011
    Hayse-08/10/11 ·
    • Hide content

I live in Warwickshire and am getting married in Cumbria. To be honest, it hasn't been too much of an issue so far. I agree with what everyone else has said about doing all your research on the internet and then having "wedding weekends" where you book loads of appointments. I have also only get what I need to in Cumbria- like tog, florists, caterers etc, everything else has been sourced near home, like dress.

I do think we might have a bit of a problem with the mens suits and bridesmaids dresses though. The men in the bridal party are scattered all over the country- our plan is to hire them from a national store and all the men go to their local one to get measured up. I hope this can be done. Not sure what we're going to do about bridesmaids dresses though- one lives in Norfolk and the other in Cumbria. But, anything is do-able x

• SoonToBeMrsH
    Beginner January 2012
    SoonToBeMrsH ·
    • Hide content

We're getting married two hours away in Cumbria and we live in Preston. As we're getting married in a different county / parish we've been told we need to spend 8 consecutive nights there within 3 months before the wedding?! Has anyone else come across this?

• *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content

I haven't heard that one... **worry worry**

• S
    Beginner October 2011
    SuperSpud ·
    • Hide content

We're getting married away from home too, but not has far as some on here - about 90miles or so (Merseyside to Hawes in N Yorkshire).

It's not been too bad tbh, I've found suppliers in and around the area online and I can communicate via email/text to most suppliers (my prefered communication method anyway as I'm deaf).

My Videographer is from Harrogate, and the favours are being made by the local sweet shop. I'm using a make-up artist from the Villiage. The Harpist is also from Yorkshire. We know the area where we're getting married very well, so we knew what suppliers where up there and what we needed to bring from home. Our venue have also been helpful suggesting suppliers - togs, make-up / hairdresses, cakes etc.

We're bringing some 'local' (to us) stuff with us - the suits, my dress, cake and flowers are from our home town. Our tog is from Liverpool, but will travel as he's a friend of my OH.

• Weegee
    Beginner August 2012
    Weegee ·
    • Hide content

We are in Essex and are getting married 'back home' in Cumbria. We've not found the distance (350miles lol) too much of a problem as my mum has been a great help with getting information and contact numbers for us etc. hoping to get the cars sorted and to meet the vicar in person (eeeks) when we go back in April.

• Blonde Viki
    Beginner July 2012
    Blonde Viki ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think that only applies to foreign nationals wishing to marry in the UK. We're resident in London so as long as we give notice here, and have our registrar booked in the county where we're marrying, that's it. We've no family in Derbyshire and we've not been told that we have to spend any time there prior to the wedding.

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

I've been living in London 8yrs with English OH, but having wedding 24hr flight away in Sydney, where I was born. Thank goodness for internet, I've managed to organise 90% of it online.

I too have never met the DJ, celebrant, harpist, florist, hire car company, hairdresser or beautician. Some were recommended and as we will fly in a few weeks beforehand, should be able to find a differnet one if necessary.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics