Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Mrsjones2024
Rockstar June 2024 Essex

Getting ready timings on the day

Mrsjones2024, 30 of July of 2016 at 22:36 Posted on Planning 0 10

Hi all,

My hairdresser has a friend's wedding on the same day as my wedding. She has just contacted me to ask what time I am thinking of having my hair and make up done so that she can plan her day.

As it's 11 months away, I hadn't really thought about it yet.

We are getting married at 2pm. I am getting ready at barns across the lane so a less than 30 seconds walk to the venue.

I have my four bridesmaids and my mum having their make up done as well as me, with the one make up artist. The hairdresser will be doing my hair, four bridesmaids hair, my mum's and a blow dry for future MIL.

I am assuming that the registrar will want to meet with me before the ceremony. Is this right before or say, half an hour before? I would also like to have time to get into my dress, accessorise, have a drink and have some photos taken with my bridesmaids, my mum and my dad before the ceremony. But, on the other hand, I don't want to be ready too early.

I was thinking of aiming to have my hair and make up done by 1230 which gives me 90 mins before the ceremony?

What are your timings/what did you do on the day?

Thanks in advance x

10 replies

Latest activity by Justkeepswimming, 1 of August of 2016 at 22:50
  • kizzi10000
    Beginner August 2016
    kizzi10000 ·
    • Hide content

Was working this out with my lady today. We've got a 3.15 ceremony and have been asked to be there 20 minutes before. It's around 15 mins drive, and I'll be going by taxi. It's only me, but hair and make-up, and she said she'd be there for 11.30. She said she aims to be done around an hour before the bride needs to leave, so allows time for taxi's not turning up and getting dressed etc. My trial today took a couple of hours, and I don't see it taking much longer on the day, so she'll be done by 1.30, 2 at the latest. I think an hour and a half before isn't unreasonable, going on what was said today

• o0o_Charlie_o0o
    Beginner August 2016
    o0o_Charlie_o0o ·
    • Hide content

My ceremony is at 2:30 and my MUA/hairdresser is coming at 10am, she is doing hair and make up for me and my 3 bridesmaids and then just hair for MOG and my daughter x

• rach_217
    Beginner June 2016
    rach_217 ·
    • Hide content

My ceremony was at 2:30, my make up artist and hairdresser got to the hotel (our venue) at 9am, my hairdresser did mine, my mums & my 2 bridesmaids hair and my make up artist did mine, my mums and one of the bridesmaids make up. I had a really chilled stress free morning get ready, and loved every minute of it! I then got into my dress about 1:30pm. I had a glass of champagne with my bridal party, had some photos and the registrars came to check details about 2ish, only took 5 mins! We then went up to the rooftop about 2:20pm, ceremony started a few mins late.

I personally think 90 minutes would be too long, as I got nervous the longer I was waiting, the closer it got the more nervous I was! Plus it was a really hot day and I got a bit hot & sweaty in my dress so wouldn't have wanted to be waiting much longer - hope that helps xxx

• F
    Beginner September 2017
    FutureMrsT17 ·
    • Hide content

Got no help in the timings situation but reading the other posts I'm dreading what time I'm going to have to start getting ready when my ceremony is at 12..

• PadBin
    Rockstar July 2016
    PadBin ·
    • Hide content

90 mins sound right to me, it may sound like a lot of time but it won't on the day. I got married at 12, the hair and make up Lady's arrived at 7:15. I wanted them to be finished by 10. Girls and mum in there dresses by 10:30 me in mine by 11, 30mins to take photos then leave at 11:30.

This all sounded great but everything took longer, we weren't late in leaving and i even had 10 minster to sit and relax while everyone loaded the car but I was late in getting dressed as people kept asking me to help them. While I was eating a quick breakfast stood in the kitchen my moh asked me to do her hair (she didn't want to use the ladys). Then while I was trying to put on my accessories I had to go lace up my sisters dress as she had done the other 2 dresses and was running late. I then was about to get in my dress and my mum had me running up and down the stairs getting Items from her suits case one at a time, I must admit by this point i had slight bridzila moment. I'm so glad I planned lots of time as even though I was getting a bit stressed we didn't leave late.

• L
    Beginner May 2017
    lucyjo ·
    • Hide content

I can't help with the registrar question because we're having a church ceremony, but I would have thought that 90 mins before the ceremony is fine. That gives you some buffer for delays as well. Our ceremony is at 12 and my appointment at the hairdressers is 9am, which sounded mental at first. But there's a lot to do!

I would double check which order your hairdresser/MUA plans on doing you all in. I would have thought the bride ought to go first if you've only got the one girl doing all of you! That could have a big impact.

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Generally at a non register office 2pm wedding they will see the groom at around 1.30 ish and then you will arrive at 1.45-1.50 and see the registrar.

There are 2 reasons for these timings, one is that in peak months the registrar will have a busy list of weddings and is aiming to get to yours at 1.20 after coming from another wedding across town.

The other reason is that unless you have another back entrance to the venue, then too early there will be guests around who will then see you, some venues with only 1 entrance will make sure that your guests are in the ceremony room before you arrive so if you are seeing the registrar at 2.45-50 then this is doable.

Far too often I see that brides do leave enough time between being ready and having to leave, if you plan on being ready 1/2 hour before than I would say that is not a big enough buffer for things going wrong, its little things, finding scissors, missing out a lace loop or button and staring again, Dads shirt not fitting, struggling with taking off all the tags from jewellery, they all add up and can easily add up to 1/2 hour and then you have no time left for photos if you wanted some at that time.

I would say to aim to be ready 1 hour before you have to leave.

• Mrs_Conduct
    Expert June 2017
    Mrs_Conduct ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I get this completely, our ceremony is 11am but have to ready to go there at 9:30am. 6am start for me with two MUAs. I'm not a morning person either, will need lots of coffee I think.

• katieJ2b
    Beginner October 2016
    katieJ2b ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Eeeek! I need to leave my parents house with hair and make up done for myself, two bridesmaids and my mum by 11am! Going to get changed at the venue but need everything else done by the time we leave. Early start for me as well I think arrggghh x

• Mrsjones2024
    Rockstar June 2024 Essex
    Mrsjones2024 ·
    • Hide content

Thank for all of the replies everyone. My MUA wants to arrive between 7.30 - 8am to do the make up for the six of us. I'm going to tell the hairdresser to get there for 7.30 too. She said it will take her around 4/5 hours to do seven heads. So she should be done around 1230 which is about right I guess and which means she has an hour to get to her friend's wedding. I assume that we can have brekkie Inbetween gaps whilst getting ready? I was going to ask to go in the middle as I don't want to be first as I'm worried my make up and hair won't look as fresh if it's been done since 8am but I don't want to go last in case we are running late.

What time did you ask your photographer and videographer to arrive? I have read online that about an hour before you are ready is good. So 1130 ish? They could film the groom first I guess and then me X

• Justkeepswimming
    Beginner July 2016
    Justkeepswimming ·
    • Hide content

I totally misread this at first and thought you meant she was doing your hair and another brides hair on the same day! We got married at 2, and got ready at the venue. We started getting our hair and makeup done at 9:45 and were all ready by about 13:00. This was 2 ladies doing 6 hairs and 4 makeups. We had our afternoon tea at 13:00 and the register came to meet me at about 20 mins before the ceremony. It was quite a relaxed morning although we did almost run out of time at the end waiting for my mums hair and MU to be done.

The lady that was doing me left me til last so I would be freshest and it would last longer, I would recommend this, they will make sure you are ready on time! Our photographer arrived at 11 so he could get some getting ready shots. We were fortunate that we had his wife as well, who was in place ready for the men to arrive to take their pre-wedding shots.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics