Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

E
Beginner October 2013

Getting THAT Designer Dress at a fraction of the cost!!

elennom, 23 of August of 2012 at 17:45 Posted on Planning 0 22

Hi

I just wanted to share my experience incase it helps anyone else get their dream dress that they thought was out of reach.

I fell in love with Ian Stuart's Blue Bird Dress from the Killer Queen collection. However, there was absolutely no way thatI would ever be able to afford the £3850+ price tag. Therefore I kept looking. However, I'm a very unique person who knows what they like so I decided to go and try it on in the hope that it wouldnt suit me and I could put it out my mind.

Therefore I rang every Ian Stuart stockist in the country (listed on his website) until I found three stores with the dress in the blue version and three with the dress in ivory. The nearest on to me was in ivory so I went and looked and it was beautiful, however, I knew that I really wanted the blue version. Therefore, I kept looking on second hand sites on the net, ebay etc, and all the other dresses from that collection kept turing up but not that one.

So I got cheeky, well, if you dont ask you dont get. I assumed that if none where up for second hand then none must have sold and the shops would want rid of the sample dresses to make way from the new collection recently released. Therefore I rang the three stores that had blue dresses and asked the size of the dress and whether they would be willing to sell the shop sample.

Therefore, I am now the proud owner of one of three azure blue ian Stuart Killer Queen Collection Blue Bird Dresses. ONE OF THREE OF MY DREAM DRESS!!!! and you know whats better... insted of the £4000+ it would have cost brand new with alterations, I have a shop sample in my size which hasnt been tried on by anyone else and they are selling it to me for £2000 with cleaning and all my alterations (which they are going to do all in one day as I live 8 hours round trip to the shop).

I think I need to find a venue now!

It is possible to get your dream dress. Just hunt it down and keep asking, you dont ask you dont get ladies!!!

Ex

Ps heres a pic

22 replies

Latest activity by *MM3*, 25 of September of 2013 at 21:26
  • HLT
    Beginner August 2012
    HLT ·
    • Hide content

That dress is epic! Well done Smiley laugh

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

What an utterly fabulous result. And a fabulous dress. Always liked Ian Stuart (even if I lack the flair and drama to wear one).

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content

When I opened this thread, I'll be honest, and I thought you might be a spammer.

However, I am very happy to be proved wrong. What a fab story, and well done on finding your dream dress.

• tortoise
    tortoise ·
    • Hide content

I remember when you first posted about this dress and I was seriously jealous. I LOVE it! It's so quirky and different. Well done on being so savvy and getting such a great result. Can't wait to see you in it Smiley smile

• J
    Beginner August 2013
    Jessie_bride ·
    • Hide content

Good for you! I like it when people pursue their dreams and it paid off so well for you, you'll love wearing it!x

• B
    Beginner September 2014
    bex3022 ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

I have found this dress also on a website and absolutely love it, need it!!! Would you be interested in selling after your big day??? I will try to do the same thing as you and call around the stockists but not so sure if I would be so lucky!

Please let me know your thoughts! xx

• L
    Lemon Violet ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

I love your dress, and what an amazing story! It will look beautiful. well done

Lynne

• E
    Beginner October 2013
    elennom ·
    • Hide content

Hi

Thank you all for your wonderful comments Smiley smile

bex3022 - at present I'm not considering selling it after my wedding in october. As far as I'm aware that was the last of Ian Stuart's Bluebird dresses that were for sale although you may find one of the ivory ones or someone that is selling theirs on. As far as I'm aware there were 3 blue made and aprrox 5-8 ivory. The only other way would be to get the designer to make a new one for you or have a look at his current collection and try and get one of those (There as some that are very similar to mine in the new collection)

Hope that helps

Ex

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

Elennom we need to know more about your day!?!

• mariannechuaphotography
    mariannechuaphotography ·
    • Hide content

AMAZING!! A) Congrats on the awesome bargain! b) You are going to look like an amazing Alice in Wonderlandesque bride!

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

Good work on bagging your dream dress! LOVE it!

Maybe I am being a bit thick but I was under the impression that nearly all wedding dresses are made to order? Obviously with the exception of samples which are made for shops (or off the peg high street) therefore is it not likely for more then 3 of these dresses floating around?

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Nope, you're not being thick. There were three samples found by the OP, but that doesn't indicate how many in total have been made.

• <3FutureMrsN<3
    Beginner March 2016
    <3FutureMrsN<3 ·
    • Hide content

Well done!

I've done exactly the same however mine was nowhere near the price of yours lolz. My dres was £1100 everywhere I went so I contacted EVERY shop within 50 miles of my address and my mums address and managed to find a store that could get it for me brand new at £850. I have now managed to get a store closer to my mum to do it for the same price because I can get it for that price elsewhere!

Just need a seamstress in Essex now or I might just get the shop to do it. Just mean more money!

• Going2theChapel
    Beginner March 2013
    Going2theChapel ·
    • Hide content

Its gorgeous!!! Welldone you on hunting out your dream dress!

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

?

• claire_91
    Beginner July 2014
    claire_91 ·
    • Hide content

Very beautiful and what a great story to tell x

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

I love a good bargain and I'm impressed with your super sleuthing to get that little beauty! Gorgeous dress, congratulations!

• E
    Beginner October 2013
    elennom ·
    • Hide content

Hi Everyone

In reply to the number of these dresses in existence, as far as I can find out there are 3 blue and 5 completely white.

Thank you for all the lovely comments

xx

• NeonEvents
    NeonEvents ·
    • Hide content

WOW! Gorgeous dress. Absolutely love it!

Joanne

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think the point under consideration is that if there are three samples in shops (which you have located), and the dress is usually made to order, then it's possible that there are a few tucked away in wardrobes, or in shops abroad, or whatever. There was a single sample of my dress in the country, so anyone phoning around for it might think there is only of the dress. But I have another, because I didn't buy the sample. It's in my wardrobe, as it happens Smiley winking

And again, t'is a fab dress!

• Alisha.B
    Expert April 2022
    Alisha.B ·
    • Hide content

I love Ian Stuart dresses ?

its very beautiful but it blows my mind at half price its still 6 times my budget ?

• *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content

Wow, well done..great bargain Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics