Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

nicnol
Beginner October 2011

Getting your engagment ring cleaned...how long did it take?

nicnol, 17 August, 2011 at 14:36 Posted on Planning 0 10

H2B bought my ring from Ernest Jones and they offer a free cleaning service within a year of buying it.....that year has now passed but they said they would still honour it seeing as I get married soon.

As it's 18ct white gold it has yellowed slightly against WR so will need to get it rhodium plated as well.

Has anyone else sent it to a high street jeweller to do it for you and approximately how long did it take?

10 replies

Latest activity by MandM90, 17 August, 2011 at 17:43
  • RebeccaLou87
    Beginner October 2011
    RebeccaLou87 ·
    • Hide content

My ER and WR are from H Samuel and are insured, so I can have them cleaned and re-dipped up to 5 times a year.

I think they took my Engagement Ring on Sunday at it was back by Friday. Didn't take long at all. ?

• MrsShark
    Beginner September 2011
    MrsShark ·
    • Hide content

Wow people actually send their ER's away to be cleaned? I just soak mine in some warm water with lemon juice & bicarb, give it a buff with an old toothbrush and voila...good as new!

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I do something similar with household ammonia, but it doesn't compare to having it cleaned properly at the jewellers. I just drop mine in to my local jeweller for around an hour while it's given a whizz in the machine and can never believe how much it sparkles afterwards. It costs a fiver.

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

The actual process only takes about 20 minutes - when we went to make our wedding rings they did a free clean and re-plating of my ER!

• MissPanda
    Beginner March 2012
    MissPanda ·
    • Hide content

My engagement ring and eternity ring (one from H Samuels, the other from Ernest Jones), each took a week. Apparently the man who does it only comes round once a week.

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content

I get a free lifetime cleaning service with mine; I've only had it cleaned once, I dropped it off, they clean it in store, and then I picked it up a few hours later.

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

WSS!

• S
    Beginner August 2011
    spoongirl ·
    • Hide content

We opted for platinum as I couldn't bare the thought of having to take my ring off to get it replated (very lucky girl - I know!!) but had mine cleaned at jeweller when we went to choose WR and it took 3 minutes, they did the same when I picked up the WRs. They have a ultrasonic cleaner which was amazing, couldn't believe how much it sparkled!! and no nasty chemicals...bonus was it was back on my finger in under 5 minutes and they've offered to give it another blast a couple of days before the wedding!

• MandM90
    Beginner July 2011
    MandM90 ·
    • Hide content

Do you mean cleaning or cleaning and plating because we got ours from Ernest Jones and they plated them for free which took one and a half weeks to send away. They come back looking like new.

Cleaning only takes an hour but isn't nearly as good as plating as the colour doesn't really change much it just sparkles much more!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics