Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

AnnaDawes
Beginner June 2014

Gift ideas for Groom please...

AnnaDawes, 16 April, 2013 at 15:13 Posted on Planning 0 8

I'm going to put together a gift box for my groom to open on the morning of the wedding and would love everyone's ideas of what to put in it.

So far I've got....

A watch

Socks

Miniature bottle of whisky

A journal (that documents our relationship)

Any ideas would be gratefully received!

xx

8 replies

Latest activity by Jemima Renrut, 16 April, 2013 at 19:33
  • tayto
    Beginner May 2013
    tayto ·
    • Hide content

Perhaps a card that says 'To My Fiancé on Our Wedding Day' - or is that a bit girlie?!

I wouldn't do the watch as I'm a bit superstitious but if you like it, go for it.

Perhaps a humorous t-shirt referring to the wedding?

A gadget that he will like? DVD/CD that represents you both - first dance song, first movie you watched or something?

Not sure if these are any help.... I'm doing a gift for mine as well - it's a boudoir photography shoot picture.... ?

• AnnaDawes
    Beginner June 2014
    AnnaDawes ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the ideas! Why are you superstitious about the watch??

• tayto
    Beginner May 2013
    tayto ·
    • Hide content

It might be an irish thing so take no notice! I remember being told when growing up never buy a boyfriend/girlfriend a watch - I never asked why tho!!

• AnnaDawes
    Beginner June 2014
    AnnaDawes ·
    • Hide content

Oh right! I've never heard that one before.

I love the other ideas though.

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

I bought mine a money clip from Gucci. Part of it was Brown leather with matched the colour of his suit.

• R
    Beginner June 2014
    redsunflower25 ·
    • Hide content

I might get mine a pocket watch as he will be wearing a waistcoat, will probably get engraved or such.

Like the idea of gift box... My OH loves lego (we are both big children) maybe a little one that represents him/you (again my OH is a special constable so the police range they have is great as 'stocking fillers')

Cufflinks to wear on the day

Those 'IOU vouchers' for the honeymoon... ?

Maybe a nice aftershave that you like, could ask him to wear it?

Little memento box to keep things from the big day (could personalise it)

Depending on if you have a little human together already and how mischievous you are something to do with having kids... if you're into freaking your other half out though!! know my OH would probably find it funny then try to call my bluff... ?

• Mrs Monkey
    Beginner July 2013
    Mrs Monkey ·
    • Hide content

I don't know if it's your sort of thing but I created my own version of the picture below. I bought a key from poundland, black frame (to match our colour scheme) then I printed the background and the tag on the same card as our invites (with the same font) and used the wire that I used for my bouquets. Plus I made the tag look just like a bigger version of our nametags. The ribbon I use will be the same ribbon that I tie the nametags onto the jars with.

On the tag though I've put 'the key to my heart' but you could write anything you want. In the bottom left I put 'On our wedding day Friday 19th July 2013'

I felt it was a meaningful present (made with elements of our wedding) plus it will help him remember our anniversary!

• Mrs Monkey
    Beginner July 2013
    Mrs Monkey ·
    • Hide content

I looked up the 'don't give a watch thing' and I think it comes from Chinese tradition

Never Give Timepieces

In the West, timepieces are, in fact, quite well-liked as gifts. These include: alarm clock, wall clock, pocket watch, wristwatch, etc.

Timepieces measure the passage of time and this indirectly suggests a limited lifespan, which is very inauspicious. In Chinese (Cantonese), to give a clock or soong joong sounds exactly like the Chinese term for attending a funeral, which is naturally very taboo.

Apparantly you should never give anything sharp, shoes, red roses or hankerchiefs!

• Jemima Renrut
    Beginner October 2013
    Jemima Renrut ·
    • Hide content

Groom boxer shorts

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics